Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri

There is a Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri (exact wording) for sale on a major knife retailers website flash sale today which is described as follows:

COLD STEEL GURKHA KUKRI​

ITEM NUMBER:
CS39LMC
AVAILABILITY: IN STOCK

The Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri features a 12" stainless steel kukri blade with a satin finish and a textured black Kray-Ex handle. This full tang fixed blade is .31" thick with a brass lanyard tube. It's 17" overall and weighs 9.5oz. Includes a black Secure-Ex sheath with belt loop.

It appears to be a Kukri Plus, the actual steel is not listed, and it is made in China.

Were any of the CS Kukri or Kukri Plus models made in China previous to the sale of Cold Steel?

There is a Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri (exact wording) for sale on a major knife retailers website flash sale today which is described as follows:

COLD STEEL GURKHA KUKRI​

ITEM NUMBER:
CS39LMC
AVAILABILITY: IN STOCK

The Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri features a 12" stainless steel kukri blade with a satin finish and a textured black Kray-Ex handle. This full tang fixed blade is .31" thick with a brass lanyard tube. It's 17" overall and weighs 9.5oz. Includes a black Secure-Ex sheath with belt loop.

It appears to be a Kukri Plus, the actual steel is not listed, and it is made in China.

Were any of the CS Kukri or Kukri Plus models made in China previous to the sale of Cold Steel?
That part number seems to be for the A2 version which never came to be. And pretty sure the only "stainless" version was the regular one (not Plus) in San Mai. Believe the Plus version has only been SK5 and O1, but might be coming out in 3V. The 9.5oz weight doesn't make sense either...should be something like 22oz. Even the machete version is like 17oz.

jlauffer: I think you're right on about all points. I checked 3 CS catalogs, 2012, 2015, & 2018, and the steels you mentioned are correct on the Kukri Plus. And I don't recall the Kukri in stainless being anything other than San Mai as you said. Maybe it's a new version, or maybe the retailer site got something wrong again... Also, now that you mentioned it, the weight does seem off (quite a bit). I mean how could a 12" blade that is 5/16" thick weigh that little?

Man with no name: You may be right, though I was unable to find anything on the Cold Steel website about it.

Good point. I never thought of that. Interesting how this website I referred to had some of these Kukris, but they're not listed on the CS website yet... Also interesting that they didn't mention exactly what steel they were made of , (though not too surprising, considering this website seems to have a lot of errors in the item descriptions).

Thanks to those of you who commented in this thread.

Midway is listing them as 4034, and for the absolutely absurd price of $249.

At the risk of hurting the feelings of anyone who has purchased and loves one of these, it's garbage steel, a garbage sheath, and it is made in China. It is, at best, a $50 beater, and I wouldn't even pay that. This is deeply disappointing and really tells me everything I need to know about this company.

Knifecenter has this listed on its new items page for a little under $200.

So this was indeed the Kukri that I started this thread about.

I agree that this Kukri is definitely overpriced.

Back