Cold Steel Leatherneck blade weeping oil

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Athappyhiker11, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Athappyhiker11

Athappyhiker11

Feb 25, 2020
    So I have a Cold Steel Leatherneck - one of the original FFG versions - in pristine unused condition. There is the smallest discoloration on the blade finish on one side up towards the spine of the blade. Every time I take the knife out of the sheath, there is very thin oil residue in that same specific area on the blade. Wipe the blade off, and a week or month later there's an oily spot on that part of the blade again. It doesn't rust at all so don't think it's anything else besides oil. Very weird. I've NEVER seen that on any other knife blade. It's like that one spot is weeping oil out of the steel. Do any of you have any ideas what it could be from or why it's happening?

2. Athappyhiker11

Athappyhiker11

Feb 25, 2020
    So I have a Cold Steel Leatherneck - one of the original FFG bowie versions - in pristine unused condition. There is the smallest discoloration on the blade finish on one side up towards the spine of the blade. Every time I take the knife out of the sheath, there is very thin oil residue in that same specific area on the blade. Wipe the blade off, and a week or month later there's an oily spot on that part of the blade again. It doesn't rust at all so don't think it's anything else besides oil. Leave the knife in the sheath long enough and the oily spot has spread across a decent sized chunk of the blade. Very weird. I've NEVER seen that on any other knife blade. It's like that one spot is weeping oil out of the steel. Do any of you have any ideas what it could be from or why it's happening?

3. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Does it weep oil if you don't leave it in the sheath?

115Italian, dogstar, jlauffer and 2 others like this.
  4. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Residue from the sheath and or the inside of handle .

Or you're haunted by the knife maintenance goblins !

Smiling likes this.
  5. Athappyhiker11

Athappyhiker11

Feb 25, 2020
    LOL well it's nowhere near the handle, but I will try storing it out of the sheath for a few days and see if it still does it or not.

6. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Sounds like oil trapped in the sheath.

willc, jux t and dogstar like this.
  7. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    so plastic products leach
    oily based slime perhaps
    the environment it is placed in
    is not condusive to its stability.
    it could be affected by the temperature.
    and if enclosed (like in a drawer or box)
    some nearby objects may have caused
    chemical reactions resulting in a
    breakdown in its composiition.
    its clearly going to be a process
    of elimination by trial and error
    to uncover the root cause of
    destabilization... best of luck! :)

8. Wharn

Wharn Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2011
    While my Cold Steel gently weeps...

But yes as others stated I bet it is the sheath.

DocJD likes this.
  9. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    I have same thing happening with my Drop Forged Hunter... it is residue of oil inside the sheath.

DocJD likes this.