Cold Steel Machetes and Accusharp sharpeners

I recently bought a Cold Steel Gladius Machete, a Cutlass Machete, and an Accusharp Sharpener. Accusharps are well reviewed on the Sword Buyers Guide site. The Accusharp did am amazing job on the machetes. I posted an Amazon review that said Cold Steel should include an Accusharp with every machete :) Accusharp also makes a ceramic V rod sharpener called a Sharp N Easy. This works great for a final honing.

I never really thought pull through sharpeners worked, but, they work great on machetes.

Are you talking about this one?
th

I use this one for kitchen and cheap EDCs. I don't think
knifework-smcscs.jpg
they make this anymore. It works ok if all you want is a working edge.

So far I have only used a file, and a puck for my machetes. Results are ok.

th

Last edited:
For a machete I think a pull through sharpener makes good sense.

Interesting. Wouldn't expect that kind of sharpener to be able to do the job on something that thick. If it works, it works!

Mwhich50 - Yes, that is the sharpener I used. Accusharp makes a ceramic rod sharpener called a Sharp N Easy that I used for final honing. The combo is the best " no skill " sharpening method I have seen. The edge is not perfect, but, good enough for a sword.

Interesting. Wouldn't expect that kind of sharpener to be able to do the job on something that thick. If it works, it works!
The two cold steel machetes I tried were utterly unusable on receipt. I used that same Accusharp to get a starter edge on them; then put them to use.

Yeah, the edges are like that intentionally. Luckily it leaves room for folks like you who know what they're doing to put their desired edge on it.

:)
accusharp is an excellent little sharpener sharpener it is very easy to use and it is effective the tungsten blades are interchangeable with accusharp I managed to halve the thickness of the karambit ontario in 5160 steel I performed an almost perfect manual sharpening but due to the particular heat treatment (performed by ontario)

the karambit ranger can't even cut the air, I personally don't like the karambits that I don't cut so I set it up before sharpening a knife with accusharp put some body tape (paper) on the blade

Tungsten accusharp blades are placed in a V shape during sharpening and could scratch the bladewith accusharp attention to sharpening the SCANDI MORA GARBERG type knives etc ... it could scratch the blade

It does bear mentioning that the Accusharp strips away metal fairly quickly...so it pays to think first. (Relatively) inexpensive machetes with overly thick edges - sure, especially if you want to get right to work; but I'd make a different choice for a decent quality knife.
I haven't been on SBG in a few years (basically since they changed the format); but, back then, Accusharp praises were tempered with reminders of what they actually do to the blades in the proess...and the recommendation was typically NOT to use them. I'd be surprised if the prevailing attitude has shifted that much

I use one of the Worksharp hand grinders when doing my machetes, either the original or the Ken Onion model.

:)accusharp is an excellent economic sharpener because it is able to perform a guided and uniform razor sharpening, used correctly lightly with a 90 ° angle and exceptional with just a few passages the knives are sharpened without removing excess material and without compromising the heat treatment:)

Back