Cold steel O1 steel

What are your experiences with this steel. I have not been impressed with their O1 steel in the past. I reprofiled my natchez bowie edge to 30 inclusive. (It came with like 45deg from the box. It chopped wood fine. But dried bamboo produced some micro chips and rolls. Also did the stab and pry test on plywood. The fine needle tip rolled at the very end. I end up giving the knife a major resharpening. Final angle about 35 inclusive at apex.

Ground off about 0.2mn of fatiqued metal at the tip. And added slight convexed micro bevel so it isnt as acute and needle like. The knife performs about as expected now. No problems hard chopping dried bamboo and passed the stab pry test. I further tested the tip by punching holes in steel plates. It did better than expected. Goes through smoothly and no rolls or chips. The edge at the tip can still cut magazine paper after the test. I suspect the factory edge maybe a little burned and weakened. I think O1 is an ok steel if heat treat is right. As a side note the Natchez is a good chopper and the cable tang with micarta handle held up great considering the abuse i put it through.

I have an O-1 Trailmaster and a Gurkha Kukri Plus that I beat heck out of . Chopped down 5" hardwood trees . No edge damage , but I did not reprofile . I figure they make them the way they come for a reason .;)

I have both the Laredo and the Natchez but I consider them to be primarily martial knives and would not use to chop wood . Just don't think that's the intended purpose . They were meant to optimally slice flesh .:eek:

With your mods , it seems good to go ! Very interesting . :thumbsup::p

Last edited:
I have an O-1 Trailmaster and a Gurkha Kukri Plus that I beat heck out of . Chopped down 5" hardwood trees . No edge damage , but I did not reprofile . I figure they make them the way they come for a reason .;)

I have both the Laredo and the Natchez but I consider them to be primarily martial knives and would not use to chop wood . Just don't think that's the intended purpose . They were meant to optimally slice flesh .:eek:

With your mods , it seems good to go ! Very interesting . :thumbsup::p

My natchez came with way too obtuse angle on one side it was like 30deg one side and 15 the other. So i have to regrind the bevel. Its not a very good slicer at the original edge angles. It has no problems with hard dry wood or live wood. Just dried bamboo. But its holding up to everything now with the smaller angle after grinding away some of the factory steel. Yes chopping wood isnt the main intent of a bowie knife but hey it works great. I have the 1917 bowie as well but its too thick and obtuse as a chopper so i only display that one and use the Natchez. The Laredo and Gurkha kukris are awesome and next on my list.

My natchez came with way too obtuse angle on one side it was like 30deg one side and 15 the other. So i have to regrind the bevel. Its not a very good slicer at the original edge angles. It has no problems with hard dry wood or live wood. Just dried bamboo. But its holding up to everything now with the smaller angle after grinding away some of the factory steel. Yes chopping wood isnt the main intent of a bowie knife but hey it works great. I have the 1917 bowie as well but its too thick and obtuse as a chopper so i only display that one and use the Natchez. The Laredo and Gurkha kukris are awesome and next on my list.
Great ideas! Be sure and stock up on hockey masks , also .:eek:;)

Back