Cold Steel panic buy thread

Well, it arrived! I don't know how this knife managed to stay off of my radar for so long, it is an absolute beast! And it has one of the smoothest Tri-Ad locks that I have in the CS collection. I'm in love, but I may end up removing the bear trap pocket clip.

Well, it arrived! I don't know how this knife managed to stay off of my radar for so long, it is an absolute beast! And it has one of the smoothest Tri-Ad locks that I have in the CS collection. I'm in love, but I may end up removing the bear trap pocket clip.
I thought the same thing and now I've got an AD10 coming as well because of all the good things I've heard about it. They really are well made knives, it reminds me of Japan goods back in the day. At first no one would buy a lot of Japanese goods until they figured out how good their wares were. I've still got a couple of more to acquire though myself. The 4Max Scout is an Awesome folder for sure actually thinking about picking up another for my son.

Decided to grab a Master Hunter CPM 3-V for $99 plus tax , free S&H . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Had to "put in cart to see price" . Often not worth the bother , but this time was a nice surprise .

I already had a San Mai "Plus" (version with gut hook ) , but always wanted the 3V version for the tougher steel and improved slicer blade profile / grind .

It's on backorder , but the place is usually good about not taking an order they can't fill .

Sometimes got to search halfway across America to avoid MAP ! ;)

Cold Steel had the San Mai Black Bear Classic on their 2020 X-Mas Sale for around $250 even though they were never actually in stock. Then GSM purhased them and the X-Mas Sale was no more!

Decided to grab a Master Hunter CPM 3-V for $99 plus tax , free S&H . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Had to "put in cart to see price" . Often not worth the bother , but this time was a nice surprise .

I already had a San Mai "Plus" (version with gut hook ) , but always wanted the 3V version for the tougher steel and improved slicer blade profile / grind .

It's on backorder , but the place is usually good about not taking an order they can't fill .

Sometimes got to search halfway across America to avoid MAP ! ;)

Same place has the 6" CPM 3-V DLC Tanto for $159 for backorder . Put in cart to see price . Compared to the new models especially , that's a steal !

If I didn't already have basically same thing in San Mai and the Warcraft in 3V , I'd be all over this deal .

Still some great deals to be found from CS , for the time being at least .

Same place has the 6" CPM 3-V DLC Tanto for $159 for backorder . Put in cart to see price . Compared to the new models especially , that's a steal !

If I didn't already have basically same thing in San Mai and the Warcraft in 3V , I'd be all over this deal .

Still some great deals to be found from CS , for the time being at least .
yep that gun supply place some great deals in stock and some backorderable.

lookin through at some with high prices on stock makes me think we are seeing the new price structure. I hope that doesn't hold as I'm not spending the money some things are at.

I'm not spending the money some things are at.
Amen , Brother ! :p

I've really already got WAY more knives of every kind than any sane person needs ...but of course , I always want more . :oops:

But , I can afford to be selective and patient . NOT going to be buffaloed into paying more than I'm happy with .

I expect the NEW CS is just trying to see what the market will tolerate . I can wait them out or go elsewhere if necessary .

Amen , Brother ! :p

I've really already got WAY more knives of every kind than any sane person needs ...but of course , I always want more . :oops:

But , I can afford to be selective and patient . NOT going to be buffaloed into paying more than I'm happy with .

I expect the NEW CS is just trying to see what the market will tolerate . I can wait them out or go elsewhere if necessary .
yep.

boy do I miss Lynn and prior to his map, I now believe he did to sell the company. no proof just gut feel, and that aint worth squat. nonetheless I miss those days of those bargains even when not on a super stock clean out sale. the good old days.........long gone......

Well I got my AD10 Yesterday and is it slick, centered blade drop shut guillotine blade... be careful here ask me how I know. :eek: It flicks right open, I swear every time I get another CS folder it seems to be slicker than the last one. First it was a aluminum Espada with just a hint of roughness on opening then a Recon 1 pretty slick then a Bush ranger a little smoother yet.

Then I got a Lawman and that little knife was as smooth as the Bush Ranger. Then along came a 4Max Scout and that big old knife is slick as owl sh#%, and yesterday I receive my AD10 which is as smooth as the 4max. These knives are no joke and I just wish I would have ventured into CS Products sooner. Have a good one folks I am now! :)

I've had the Counter Tac and SRK for years. Just picked up the smaller versions of each. Seems existing inventory is getting thin?

yep.

boy do I miss Lynn and prior to his map, I now believe he did to sell the company. no proof just gut feel, and that aint worth squat. nonetheless I miss those days of those bargains even when not on a super stock clean out sale. the good old days.........long gone......
When the soul is gone you're left with the empty shell. Like politicians.

Just got a Spear Point Recon 1 in this week that I was eyeing for some time.I was a little disappointed that the edge was not up to their usual standards but it was easily solve in a few minutes with a sharpmaker and a strop.

Just got a Spear Point Recon 1 in this week that I was eyeing for some time.I was a little disappointed that the edge was not up to their usual standards but it was easily solve in a few minutes with a sharpmaker and a strop.

I'm always surprised to hear that comment. I just received a Kobun, a Recon Tanto and a Canadian Belt Knife and they all came out of the package as sharp as any knife I've purchased. So far, Cold Steel is 14-0 for super-sharp-out-of-the-box for me. :thumbsup:

Just got a Spear Point Recon 1 in this week that I was eyeing for some time. I was a little disappointed that the edge was not up to their usual standards but it was easily solve in a few minutes with a sharpmaker and a strop.

I received my Spear point Recon a few weeks ago and it is razor sharp and like mentioned all mine thus far have been very sharp, sorry to hear about yours being a little dull. I guess one slips by every once in a while. I've been thinking about a Recon Tanto, I'm curious just how thick the tip on the tanto is compared to the Spear Point.

I've been thinking about a Recon Tanto, I'm curious just how thick the tip on the tanto is compared to the Spear Point.

You're asking about the Recon 1 Tanto (folder), not the Recon Tanto (fixed blade), right? The Recon 1 Tanto's blade is full thickness at the spine all the way out until the last .5" where it starts tapering to a point. Although the swedges make it hard to determine without actually measuring the blades, it appears that the Recon 1 Clip Point and Spear Point have a similar blade thickness and taper at the pointy end. The tanto version is definitely the thickest toward the tip.

Yes the folder, I was just looking at how thin the tip is on the spear point and how much thicker the tip might be on the tanto. I tend to like thicker blade points and as a matter of fact I have an SR1 clip point heading my way as I've heard the blade point has a thicker tip.

I was really looking at the SR1 in a tanto version but settled on the clip point for more or better uses. I like the Recon it's slim and light and a good overall length. I'll probably end up picking up a Recon tanto eventually.

Yes the folder, I was just looking at how thin the tip is on the spear point and how much thicker the tip might be on the tanto. I tend to like thicker blade points and as a matter of fact I have an SR1 clip point heading my way as I've heard the blade point has a thicker tip.

I was really looking at the SR1 in a tanto version but settled on the clip point for more or better uses. I like the Recon it's slim and light and a good overall length. I'll probably end up picking up a Recon tanto eventually.

I really like the whole Recon 1 line-up and I'm looking forward to carrying and using the ones I bought this winter. Since this photo was taken, I have made the tanto my only dedicated left pocket carry knife and also added a Snaggletooth to it.
BYp2GmB.jpg

I always loved clip points and I came close to getting the bowie/clip point bladed recon but got the spear point instead. I may end up picking one up as well. Thanks for the pics and info they are good knives for sure.

I always loved clip points and I came close to getting the bowie/clip point bladed recon but got the spear point instead. I may end up picking one up as well. Thanks for the pics and info they are good knives for sure.

Funny... I always disliked clip points and chose the drop point first. I liked it so much, I bit the bullet and added the clip point and tanto later, just so I could have the whole set! :)

Back