Cold Steel products YOU want to see?

I'm in serious need of a polymer handle for the shovel. Maybe a bit longer as well.
It wouldn't take much to do it & I expect it would be quite popular.

I want to see a custom build service for the master hunter, SRK, recon scout and above all the TRAILMASTER. Choose steel, guard shape,material, spacers, handles, material, colors, texture. pommels, sheath style, material, extras. I want to order a knife and BE MINE. Of-course I always enjoy making my own mods and swap sheaths and the like. But I think It would really rock.

I'm in serious need of a polymer handle for the shovel. Maybe a bit longer as well.
It wouldn't take much to do it & I expect it would be quite popular.
^this^
Why not offer a poly-pro handle for the shovel and tomahawks?
Seems like a no-brainer.
If there's a good reason why not, I'd love to hear it.

I want to see the med. and large Trail Guide folders done again in a Triad lock done right with locks that don't give, and even the carbon blade of yesteryear is just fine. In fact the med plain edge is one of my top five users and has gone through many skinning jobs and other things because its a dandy little knife with rivets instead of pins, light weight yet very functional!

All Cold Steel seems to do is focus the Triad for abusive self defense mall ninja stuff. Not that some don't care for this but I don't and at my age it does not appeal to me. I like the Triad lock. I like certain of the models. None focus on the stuff guys in my age group want and if you want a new market its waiting for you right there in a more traditional design. Even the old style straight Tanto and Clip blades done plain edge just the same way they were done in the 80s exactly with modern builds of G10 tho using the Triad lock would be something people like myself that got into your company when we were youngsters ourselves in the service.

Lynn, take us back to yesteryear 1980-86 and remake some of the classics! Imagine that little series the Shinobu just as it was in the early 80s only Triad and offer that! See what happens!

All Cold Steel seems to do is focus the Triad for abusive self defense mall ninja stuff.

What's self-defense/mall ninja about the med Voyager lineup, or the Hold Out 3? Even a big blade like the Rajah 2 is really well suited for outdoors useage, quite a few people on these forums have mentioned using it while hiking/camping as basically a folding machete.

I want to see a thicker bushman with a better handle. Either micarta scales on full tang, Overmould like on the SRK or make the normal handle more oval-like.

What's self-defense/mall ninja about the med Voyager lineup, or the Hold Out 3? Even a big blade like the Rajah 2 is really well suited for outdoors useage, quite a few people on these forums have mentioned using it while hiking/camping as basically a folding machete.

Its a tactical handle not a true field knife. Field using knives typically can be held in more than one or two grips. You can or should be able to comfortably hold it in all grips. These handles are simply not traditional lined that is all I'm saying. I'm not saying get rid of them or even change it. What I'm saying is that I feel if Lynn and Cold Steel want the support base that got on board with the company when it started that they bought those knives because the lines appealed to them.

The company changed in the way they started selling the product. Nothing wrong at all with marketing don't get me wrong but they went all tactical and kept very little in the way of the lines of when the company started out. Cold Steel in my life time has been famous for running changes in lines and models where you buy one and it comes like I did with the first American Lawman folders and then you get right on the net and order another from the same company using the same order just repeating it and you get in the mail the model but completely different! Then you order a third and it too is different than the other two! So since I've seen this in more than one model I would say someone needs to deal with some patience and discipline to do a little better research before jumping the gun with a new model.

Running changes piss people off in my experience. When it happens a lot it really urks. So this too would be what I'd ideally like to see in the future as well in the models they do make. When I buy a knife and like it, and reorder I expect to get the knife I liked. Not one I have to get used to weight difference, structure and thickness as well as clip differences and so on. Even the mini-Lawman had a running change to the model with the clip. So I ended up doing this in repeat buying two of them.

Now I kept these knives. What I'm saying is it just urks me you do this so often.

We will agree to disagree then. Just because a handle is polymer doesn't make it "tactical", it simply makes it "modern".

That one kinda went over your head I take it.

He's not talking about handle material, he's talking about handle design. A lot of Cold Steel knives have handles that are not conducive to multiple grips (other then forward and reverse). I just sold a Mini Recon 1 because of this. A neutral handle can be use forward grip edge in/edge out, and reverse grip edge in/edge out just as comfortably. A example of this would be the Hold Out folders. Which is why I just picked one up in place of the Mini Recon 1 I sold.

That one kinda went over your head I take it.

He's not talking about handle material, he's talking about handle design. A lot of Cold Steel knives have handles that are not conducive to multiple grips (other then forward and reverse). I just sold a Mini Recon 1 because of this. A neutral handle can be use forward grip edge in/edge out, and reverse grip edge in/edge out just as comfortably. A example of this would be the Hold Out folders. Which is why I just picked one up in place of the Mini Recon 1 I sold.

Except for the fact that I specifically mentioned the Hold Out 3 and it was dismissed for the same reasons as the others. So...curious how your explanation accounts for that one.

Also, if that's his definition of "tactical", I gotta ask...what? The Svord PEASANT knife and the Buck 110 certainly aren't tactical, but you're not going to use them comfortably in anything but forward and reverse grips either...

Except for the fact that I specifically mentioned the Hold Out 3 and it was dismissed for the same reasons as the others. So...curious how your explanation accounts for that one.

Also, if that's his definition of "tactical", I gotta ask...what? The Svord PEASANT knife and the Buck 110 certainly aren't tactical, but you're not going to use them comfortably in anything but forward and reverse grips either...

Well, I used the Hold Out as a example of handle shape, not blade. He also never specifically dismissed it and you also lumped it in with the med. Voyager and Rajah II, both of which have the handle issue I'm speaking of.

The Buck 110 is actually a pretty neutral handle, there are no deep finger grooves to force your hand into a specific position. You can choke up without having to jump your index finger over a giant hump that makes up the guard/finger groove portion. You can use it edge in no problem as the handle only has a slight curve.

The generation of Voyagers right before the 2011 change were a good example of a fairly neutral handle. I really like them, wish they'd bring the design back as a new 'Lightweight' Voyager series (or call them something else, don't care, just would like to see them again).

Well, I used the Hold Out as a example of handle shape, not blade. He also never specifically dismissed it and you also lumped it in with the med. Voyager and Rajah II, both of which have the handle issue I'm speaking of.

The Buck 110 is actually a pretty neutral handle, there are no deep finger grooves to force your hand into a specific position. You can choke up without having to jump your index finger over a giant hump that makes up the guard/finger groove portion. You can use it edge in no problem as the handle only has a slight curve.

The generation of Voyagers right before the 2011 change were a good example of a fairly neutral handle. I really like them, wish they'd bring the design back as a new 'Lightweight' Voyager series (or call them something else, don't care, just would like to see them again).

He dismissed the entirety of knives I mentioned, that includes the Hold Out 3. At least with everyone I know, if you don't exclude something when you're dismissing a list of suggestions, it means your dismissal includes the entire list. And have you ever tried using the Buck 110 in grip other than forward/reverse? I just did, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to use THAT in any other grip. Hell, it's no more comfortable in other grips than the Rajah 2 is, so if the Buck is an example of neutral handle, then so is the Rajah 2.

He dismissed the entirety of knives I mentioned, that includes the Hold Out 3. At least with everyone I know, if you don't exclude something when you're dismissing a list of suggestions, it means your dismissal includes the entire list.

You're assuming things here, so just forget about what he said and focus on what I said.

And have you ever tried using the Buck 110 in grip other than forward/reverse? I just did, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to use THAT in any other grip. Hell, it's no more comfortable in other grips than the Rajah 2 is, so if the Buck is an example of neutral handle, then so is the Rajah 2.

Yeah I have used a Buck 110 many, many times in a multitude of grips. The Rajah II doesn't allow for as much freedom in grip placement.

Here, try this, grab your Rajah and choke up on the blade, if you don't jump you finger over the first deep finger groove, then you're a good inch or so away from the actually edge, if you do jump it, it's not the most comfortable grip. Now do the same with the 110, you can get right up on the blade. Now try a choked up grip with edge in with both, let me know how that goes.

He dismissed the entirety of knives I mentioned, that includes the Hold Out 3. At least with everyone I know, if you don't exclude something when you're dismissing a list of suggestions, it means your dismissal includes the entire list. And have you ever tried using the Buck 110 in grip other than forward/reverse? I just did, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to use THAT in any other grip. Hell, it's no more comfortable in other grips than the Rajah 2 is, so if the Buck is an example of neutral handle, then so is the Rajah 2.

SO, if we agree to disagree then why can't you let it go? Sounds like a personal problem to me. It is my opinion. Deal with it. I don't have to agree with yours either dude but I don't feel the need to chase you down to argue with you about it just because you feel one way and I another so find someone else to have your conflict with. I dismissed nothing. I didn't mention it is what I did. Its not dismissed. I made my suggestion and it does not include that model.

Simply put it does not require fancy deep gripping handles and stabbing or double edged or double swedge blades in my category. People may talk about how good an Emerson commander is in their hands but it does absolutely nothing for me or people that generally speaking buy more traditionally leaning knives like the Buck 110. The Buck 110 has skinned many dear. I doubt too many serious hunters are carrying what you suggest which I agree would work if you had to use it that way but its not designed for that at all.

It does have a nice Puukko style handle and nothing is wrong with that or the lock. If it was a field knife it would not have holes in the liner to get in under the G10 and metal the way blood does like it did with the old Spyderco Ocelots in the field. These were quite difficult to clean out. I never did get all the blood stink out of one I used on small game once and it was sold as a field knife.

I'm wanting Pendelton folders in the hand with a Triad lock not some compromise. I want knives designed like they were for yesteryear for the nostalgia and bringing many of those that lost interest in the company when it changed and went the direction its still leaning. I am just saying bring out both or some of both. Honestly I don't see your problem with my opinion. I do however think you should cool your jets when someone disagrees with you.

How about the Lone Star Hunter or Mackinac Hunter folders? They're not particularly tactical, but do combine a nice sharp blade with the tri-ad lock.

Respectfully, I absolutely hate the Triad lock . . . especially on a small 3" blade. Really wish the Hold Out 3 had a standard backlock like on the Voyagers. Too damned difficult to open, and difficult to close. The Triad lock ruined what could've been a nearly perfect knife.

I am waiting for more conservative handle slabs on the Spartan. I don't like the "caveman" look. I know, I already have the Rajah 3 and the medium Espada.
I am glad they are stonewashing most of the knives that used to be bead-blasted.

Back