Cold Steel Recon 1 vs Cold Steel American Lawman?

JDX

I intend to use the folder as a heavy duty edc. I may be wrong, but I feel as if the recon 1 is more of a work horse, but the lawman seems more refined. If there's anyone who's handled both blades or one of them, what's your experience with it? Is there another blade in that 50-70$ price range that youd recommend?

Recon gives you more steel, but you can get 1.5" more steel in a cold steel voyager xl.
If you can find the older aus8 models they were going cheap, but the newer cts-bd1 models are still well in your price range, and the steel's makeup is very similar to an aus8-aus10 but without the nickle content, (however it is a vacuum melted steel)...

I like the Lawman more than the Recon 1. The Lawman is plenty rugged, but the Recon 1 is larger.

In the $50-70 range, if you want a fairly large blade, check out the Endura4. It too is a real workhorse of a knife with a VG-10 blade, and it has a very refined feel. It's a bit shorter than the Recon 1 though. The Blur in S30V can also be found in that range and is also plenty rugged, although it's a bit smaller than the Endura. You can also pick up a pair of the RAT-1 knives for under $70. There's also the more recently released CQC-4KXL that also features a 4" blade.

I haven't had the Lawman but have considered it. I have had the Recon 1 in AUS8 and have one with the new steel on the way (knifecenter sale!). I chose the Recon 1 again because of the length. I don't go 3.5" or below often. I wouldn't worry about one being more rugged than the other. I think they are both equal in that category. Both are the same thickness. The recon 1 has different blade shapes which is nice. You are not going to find a stronger lock at this price point or at any other. The Endura recommended above is also very good. Kershaw has the Piston and the knockout. Frankly though, I would take a recon 1 spear point over any of those options.

I own an ontario rat 1, kershaw blur s30v, kershaw cryo g10, Ontario utilitac 2, spyderco resilience and a SAK fieldmaster.

I've been considering the endura 4 for a while. That or the delica. I feel the delica has received more praise, I'm going to wait another day or two for more comments, but I appreciate everything that's been said so far

Back