Cold Steel Recon Tanto Carbon V

I just bought one tonight. Found it at the pawn shop for $44. I talked them down to $35. Came with the cordura sheath.

:banana:

Reference pic:

Are these good knives?

May i see the stamping on the other side please?

Why, to see if it's AUS-8? :D

I don't have a camera right now as I'm not home. Pic above is reference pic from eBay.

But I will post pics of the actual knife once I get the chance.

Yeah, the pic looks like an AUS8 (coating). The coating on the new knives is actually a bit nicer than that on the Carbon V. Still, I have three Carbon V models and I'm glad I was able to get them before they disappeared.

If you bought Recon Tanto in Carbon V for $35 you did bloody wonderful.

The pic is of a carbon-V model--notice the brass colored rivet securing the handle.

Stainless (AUS-8, etc) models all, to my knowledge, use silver colored rivets.

Nice find. I check the local pawn shops a couple times a month and have never seen anything but cheap knives and beat up SAK’s. How come I never get that lucky?

This thing is used obviously, but whoever had it before kept it wicked sharp! It will cut you just looking at it.

As for the price, it helps that the girl behind the counter knew nothing about knives. If anything, she probably thought she was charging me too much.

Got mine from EvilBay, from a cat-lady who had no clue what she was selling for 40 euros ..

Yes ml1209, I love the Carbon V blades. They get wicked sharp.

Nice find, I'd snap that up even for 44.95.

The pic is of a carbon-V model—notice the brass colored rivet securing the handle. Stainless (AUS-8, etc) models all, to my knowledge, use silver colored rivets.
Yep, but if you look at the edge of the knife, you'll see a gold-type reflection that may be affecting the rivet's color. The only reason I say this is that the finish on the knife (photo at top of thread) shows a beautiful enamel finish that is significantly better looking than the matte black of my Carbon Vs. Still, I could be wrong.

Yep, but if you look at the edge of the knife, you'll see a gold-type reflection that may be affecting the rivet's color. The only reason I say this is that the finish on the knife (photo at top of thread) shows a beautiful enamel finish that is significantly better looking than the matte black of my Carbon Vs. Still, I could be wrong.

I had a Carbon-V Recon Tanto with the same finish as the one in the pic--it started to peel, so I took the rest off with simple paint remover.

"Beautiful" isn't the first term that comes to my mind as far as cheap black coatings on knife blades are concerned. ;)

Still, I guess a black painted Carbon-V blade would be better than their current offerings....

There is sure nothing wrong with the New Recon Tanto's, I have one of each. I prefer to use the new one for the SS. Unlike most people, I really find the Tanto a useful all around style.

How does the new AUS-8 Recon Tanto compare to the Carbon V models?
I found Carbon V to hold an edge better than AUS8.
I can get them equally sharp.
The Carbon V is maybe a bit easier to sharpen.

Back