Cold Steel Recon Tanto sk-5 good for splitting wood

I am looking for a cheap bullet proof knife dedicated for splitting wood. I am thinking of getting the CS Recon tanto. It has a good length blade and thick spine to the tip that won't damage a mallet easily. I looked at the ESEE 6, but bit out of my price range. Also heard good things about CS's sk-5 steel. Will the CS do?

Have you considered some of the thicker machete types, like goloks or parangs?

Sk5 is a tough steel that can handle some abuse, the recon should be okay for splitting wood but I don't think the handle design would be my 1st choice. I also can't tell if it's a hollow grind, which would be less ideal than something with a convex or flat saber grind. The blade length is a good choice.

Something form the Ontario spec plus line would be decent here I think.

As I think the post above points out, what price target are you trying to stay under? Obviously, the BK9 is much more expensive than the SK5 recon.

Even a SRK in SK5 would be better.

Their SK5 is ok, tough but nothing remarkable; Like a hultafors SK5.

My dedicated "wood splitter" is a GB axe, but if I had to use a knife I'll bring out the Bark River Bravo 1.5, which has a convex and batons through wood like a champ (unless theres a huge knot).

Something like this is where I would be looking. The stock thickness will split well, the swedge at the clip can be smoothed out and the added length will be better for larger logs. The price is still very reasonable.

If I could find ones still using 5160, I would go for that over 1095. As a dedicated wood splitter, edge retention doesn't matter at all.

Don't have a whole lot of options available in the CS Recon price range (live in South Africa) hence considering the Recon. The BK9 bit on the expensive side for the intended purpose. I own an ESEE 4, but blade not long enough and don't want to abuse the blade for the intended purpose the Recon would be used for.

Don't have a whole lot of options available in the CS Recon price range (live in South Africa) hence considering the Recon. The BK9 bit on the expensive side for the intended purpose. I own an ESEE 4, but blade not long enough and don't want to abuse the blade for the intended purpose the Recon would be used for.

What brands are you able to get your hands on down there? That might help us guide you to a solution.

But, the CS recon would work. Long term, it may not be the best and the narrow blade height wouldn't be my 1st choice for sure. They can transmit a lot of shock to the hand, in my experience.

A condor bush parang would be high on my list.

Are European brands reasonably priced over there? There are a few options there that might be worth looking into.

How is shipping from Nepal? There be some good options from the kuhkri guys out there, Himalayan imports and Kailash blades in particular. I don't like batoning with the kuhkris but they can split wood like an axe or they have more standard, knife-like models available using a very tough steel and very tough heat treat that would serve that task really well, assuming the price is good. Both have budget options with a lower level of fit and finish and materials but they still function really well.

Another idea might be to just get a kitchen cleaver that has the appropriate length and use that. Baryonyx has a few cleaver-like knives aimed at wood processing but shipping is probably going to be cost prohibitive for you unless there's a local supplier for you.

This one is nick named the "kindling kleaver", as one example. There are a few different offerings that they have.
1629895969343.png

Here's another
1629896103114.png

Also, look into a Japanese Nada style blade. They seem to be right in line for the task your after (no idea what you can get there and at what prices).

I was looking to see what's available in Soith Africa and it looks like the kersahe camps are there at one online retailer. I would go that route over the cold steel recon for splitting wood.

I truly do not understand making piles of kindling using a knife... A folder no less.
In the thousand fires I have started in wet woods, cabin stoves, and everything in between, my knife was only ever used for the very first few toothpick size slivers.
Especially out "there", why would you dull your knife when even if natural kindling isn't around over carrying a proper tool.
Genuinely curious because this comes up all the time.
Every time I read the word "batoning" I make the sign of the cross. It's the devil's work.

In the thousand fires I have started in wet woods, cabin stoves, and everything in between, my knife was only ever used for the very first few toothpick size slivers.
Total agreement.

It is sad that in the bushcraft community, the worth of a knife is increasingly dictated by its ability to baton/split wood. Unfortunately, that mindset is starting to carry over into the general knife population (and this forum apparently).

I am praying for the day when bushcraft reviewers start rating axes based on their ability to slice tomatoes paper-thin, because I throw up a little in my mouth every time I see a YouTube knife review and the first thing they do is start hammering it through a log.

Last edited:
13f6824c03914be06631ef4845bb2575.jpg

I recommend this cold steel for splitting wood.

Gotcha w/ Recon as fixed, I should know better, I owned one. Apologies.

If this is just a fidget fun thing, God speed. But even a really small axe is a better tool. Plus you can practice chucking the axe at stumps : )

I truly do not understand making piles of kindling using a knife... A folder no less.
Especially out "there", why would you dull your knife when even if natural kindling isn't around over carrying a proper tool.
Every time I read the word "batoning" I make the sign of the cross. It's the devil's work.
I am all for batoning.

n2s

Definitely not going to use to make kindling or bush craft (I use firelighters at home to light a fire for cooking) I use a big knife to baton South African hard wood for making fire to BBQ (google "South African braai"). The reason I don't use an axe is because hardwood has odd shape logs that I spilt up for the braai. It's not always better with an axe because on some logs you have to split the wood in a precise placement to prevent it from splitting in unwanted proportions. I do this maybe twice a week.

This is by far the best site to purchase knives in South Africa

That's the site I found and was using. They're out of stock of many things I would've recommended as higher options. At about the price you're looking at, not much there to choose from.

If I knew more about kizlyar, I might recommend a few of those as the prices are in the ballpark of the CS recon tanto and the design seems a little better for batoning.

Based on what I see, or really don't see, I see why the recon tanto was what you were asking about. Any other good options are twice the cost. So, either give the recon a try or save up for something better, if your budget allows.

I wouldn't expect to split any really dense stuff with the recon tanto comfortably, but maybe it will be better than expected. It's just missing the mass in the blade.

Last edited:
Back