1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Cold Steel SRK and Master Hunter 3V.

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by WTF, Jul 7, 2019.

1. WTF

WTF

Feb 20, 2000
    Hey all.

I pulled the trigger and purchaced these two blades in 3V. I was so excited I had to post this on the CS forum. They will be coming in next week so I promise to post up pics. I know these are old tried and true blades. But it was on my collections list and needed to purchace them. Yes I have way to many knives... Thats what my wife says but I think I always need more.

Any way I dont see much on the forums about the 3V versions so if you have any experince with them please post and comment. I will get pictures up soon as possible.

Thanks and take care.

DocJD, jux t and nephron like this.
  2. jux t

jux t Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2018
    The 3V master hunters are excellent. I have 4 of them, and have used one enough to compare it to the carbon V version.

3V version is marginally harder to sharpen to a crisp edge without diamond stones. It is also a bit more stain resistant. Seems to resist deformation a bit better as well. Has the same grinds and dimensions as the distal-tapered carbon V version.

Sheath is ok. May want to upgrade the belt loop to a belt clip such as cold steels’ C-clip large size, or perhaps a tek-loc.

Overall, a very nice hunting and utility knife for the money. Made in Italy currently.

MolokaiRider, DocJD and WTF like this.
  3. WTF

WTF

Feb 20, 2000
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

DocJD, nephron and jux t like this.
  4. jux t

jux t Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Excellent outdoor knives ya got there.

DocJD and WTF like this.
  5. greenstickynote

greenstickynote Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Nice ! I really lile that SRK.

WTF likes this.
  6. nephron

nephron Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Nice knives, a shame photomucket messes it up. I am so glad I ditched them.

DocJD and WTF like this.
  7. WTF

WTF

Feb 20, 2000
    Where do you host pics?

8. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    WTF likes this.
  9. Gideons

Gideons

Dec 9, 2015
    I have the DLC Coated SRK in 3V. It is a great knife, however not a fan of the CS sheath and not sold on how the handle can handle a custom kydex sheath. For that reason, I use other fixed blades that have better sheaths.

WTF and MolokaiRider like this.
  10. Mike Sastre

Mike Sastre Custom Crafted Concealex Sheaths Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 23, 1999
    The SRK handle does not present any problems with a custom sheath made by a competent sheath maker.

tikkidaddy, WTF and nephron like this.
  11. Blue Sky

Blue Sky Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Great, confirmation the new 3V SRK does indeed have the reduced ricasso. Good move on CS’s part. I’d say thanks for the pic but now I have the urge for another SRK. :(

Thanks for the pic... :thumbsup:

WTF and nephron like this.
  12. nephron

nephron Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    I just use the pictures off my computer. I pull up the picture and then hit edit and reduce the size so it will download ok. Most sites have improved over the years to accept larger files(I had to reduce the size a ridiculous amount back then). I take pix with my IPhone and email them to myself and the save them to reduce and post later. If you need more info on how I do it let me know.

WTF likes this.
  13. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    I just field deboned an Axis deer ten minutes ago. I’ve been using this knife exclusively for three years. I hunt year-round and harvested many animals using this setup.

No problems.

76FAD045-E862-4631-B80E-8FE442F063F1.jpeg 40D16E04-1BF0-41E2-8A5D-D09743705D75.jpeg F0CFFCCF-B7C9-4CD3-9327-34FA4D7949E8.jpeg

Readyeseve, WTF, DocJD and 2 others like this.
  14. tikkidaddy

tikkidaddy

Jan 1, 2012
    Agreed...its normally the sheath...because its the sheath maker...not the knife:)

WTF likes this.