Cold Steel SRK San mai - uneven lamination lines

Hey guys, my first post here:). Just today i received my first knife over 100 euro and it was CS SRK san mai from VG10. I bought it from reputable knife shop in my country so i don't think it's fake. I have knives only from aus8, K720 and some gerber and mora knives, this is my first laminated steel knife.
My first impressions was good but in closer look i found laminated lines to be uneven. On one side it looks good and straight. On the other side it's almost 1-2mm thinner and there is little spot where it is even not straight closer to the handle.
Weight is lower about 11grams too (maybe is normal +-).
Should i send it for replacement or is this normal with this type of steel?

Here is pic with not straight
pKPEEeV.jpg

this is other side, which is straight
f4MRww7.jpg

good side
zjXdiMw.jpg

thinner side
qA6bi00.jpg

I just want knife, that i can trust (maybe i should choose esee or ka-bar), if this is normal, then i can live with it but i dont want knife with some kind of production defect or bad quality control.
Thank you and best regards.

I don't own any laminated knives, but I've never seen a picture of one that had a perfectly straight line. It looks fine to me and I would own and use it without worry.

I have a few sk5 srks myself, and they are great bang for the buck knives. Also have a kabar dog's head and plenty of Beckers, and all are great. You can't really go wrong with any you choose if you decide to go that route.

Many thanks for reply guys. I think i lied to myself when i said i could live with that uneven lines if they are normal for VG10 :). I sat and watched the knife in my hand long time and i return it back to shop (my OCD maybe have something to do with it ;) ). If they for some reason didn't accept this return i need to learn to live with it.
That is normal on the San mai knives from cold steel. Not going to be an issue.
So if is normal for cold steel, i can get straight lines with for example fallkniven S1 in VG10?😋 I really like srk shape and size, i think i expected something more, like near perfection from this knife. Maybe i try srk in sk5 and i can live with some minor "defects" in that price range.

But...if they return my money ... i think i need to think about another knife but every knife i choose have some cons. BK7 need sheath and handle replacement, Jarosz Turok handle replacement etc .😆
I get them all in one day, i just need something to start with for now.

Again thanks for help and stay safe 👍

When you squidge three pieces of white hot steel together, you're going to get some variation. Whether or not Cold Steel chooses to embrace such entropy is beyond me, but it's a perfectly normal thing for that type of lamination.

Last edited:
I just went and checked a few of my San Mai knives (not CS) and none have “perfect” lamination lines. Most have more noticeable variations toward the heel, and one of my blades had a little “heartbeat” blip in the center of the blade.
I never thought about it before but now you’ve nudged my OCD awake thank you very much.
Having said that, you have (had) a nice knife there, and unless you’re buying it to frame it and hang it in the wall, use it, and enjoy it for what it is.

You know i regret it now that i just freaked out and returned it. It felt good in my hand and i really like that design. I wanted to use it as my main camp knife and just got scared that this imperfection can somehow weaken the edge or something.
Yesterday i unpacked SRK Compact, and you know, it feels even better and sheath is mutch better than on san mai (or just that particular item). On san mai, i have problem to slide knife in to the sheath (i needed both hands to pull out the knife and same for slide it in), almost like it was smaller. In compact version is super easy and doable with 1 hand.
Good to know about lamination lines inperfection, i think i give another try to VG10 next time if sheath would work like on compact version :thumbsup:;).

If you place your thumb on the jimped thumb ramp of the sheath, and hold it there for a few seconds as you draw the knife it will deploy. It isn’t immediate. Kind of difficult to describe. Maybe this will help you if you decide to try again! Good luck

The lines on that SRK look way better than any of the laminated knives I have from Spyderco.

If you place your thumb on the jimped thumb ramp of the sheath, and hold it there for a few seconds as you draw the knife it will deploy. It isn’t immediate. Kind of difficult to describe. Maybe this will help you if you decide to try again! Good luck
You mean this thumb ramp?
w9D6T0b.jpg

This is point on SRK-C where i need to start pushing
NiQVsag.jpg

This is point on san mai version where i need to start pushing (and a lot harder than on compact)
aBRe5RF.jpg

So there is no way to use thumb ramp on san mai version for pulling out knife i think. If this is normal on san mai or other than compact versions, i'll stay with compact i think (but i hope it was problem with that particular sheath so i can buy more srk's in future 😉)

Back