cold steel swords

Im not sure if this is the right place to put this but oh well :D So the other day i was looking up the cold steel hand and half sword however i stumbled upon a lot of hate against cold steel swords? i know there is a lot of hate from the knife community as well so i just wanted to ask and see if anyone had any experience with them and could give me an idea if they are good or bad??? :confused: Im not looking into buying one anytime soon but it just something i wondered about?Are cold steel swords good or bad?

Buy what you want . Theirs really nothing wrong with CS swords . The hate of CS is be on belief . I have many CS knifes and I have never saw 1st thing wrong with them . I have abused some way be on what would be normal and they never let me down .

I think most of the hate is really jealously . People don't want to admit the knife they spent a large amount of money on will not. Even stand up to a CS knife at 1/2 the price.

Also Lynn doesn't sugar coat what most his knifes are for . Unlike majority of knife makers They might make a Bowie knife. But would never call it what it was designed for, a fighter . But list it as large hunting knife.

For lesser expensive knives they are a great value. I have a raja 1 folder that is REALLY nice and solid.
Never had a sword but all 6 or so cold steels I've owned have far out performed their cost. I imagine the swords would be the same. I like cold steel.

I have a cold steel warrior sword. I love it. True it handles like a bat, but it cuts very well.
People have some bad things to say because they took their own approach at the katana, and strayed from the traditional shape.
I think they did a fine job for what they were trying to accomplish. A katana like sword that performs, and it's extremely durable.
True it's not a traditional style, but a modern weapon.

I have a Ronin Dojo pro that is shaped more traditionally, and it handles much better. More agile, lighter, and was cheaper.
So this may be another reason for some of that hate.

e5udy3u2.jpg

Ronin on top, cold steel warrior bottom.

They are more similar in size than the picture suggests, but the cold steel is larger, the blade is heavier, and the balance is further out on the blade, which of course is responsible for the handling.
The Ronin is a bit shorter, lighter blade, no bo hi, and the balance point is more toward the handle than the warrior. Which makes it much easier to handle.

All I'll say is I *will* buy that new version of the 1917 Cutlass when it is available.:cool:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but aren't most of their asian offerings much heavier than historical models? I know the balance was way off on the one I handled, but it seemed to be a very sturdy chopper, just not a well balanced sword. I've heard nothing but good things about their cutlasses though.

Much heavier. My warrior is very blade heavy. And overall heavy.

Because of the balance, it feels more sluggish. But despite all that, it sails through targets.

I have two Katana. My first was a present, a Boker Damast Katana. When it arrived I was disappointed, it wasn't very sharp. I asked on Sword Forum about it, but they rubbished it immediately and I was told it was Chinese rubbish (mainly because of the price, I think).

Then my wife bought me a Cold Steel Emperor Katana. It;s a beautiful item, but the balance isn't as good as the Boker. A friend who knows about polishing Katanas helped me to polish the Boker and it turned out to be genuine Damast and not fake and it's now even sharper than the Emperor!

They both cut extremely well, but the Boker has the edge on balance, as you say, the Emperor is also blade heavy, In spite of this, both are very decorative and both would chop an assailant up into small pieces if I had to defend myself and family!

I think the self-proclaimed 'gurus' tend to equate price with quality and that's all. It's a bragging point "My Katana cost me $15,000, so how can your cheap rubbish be as good". In the end (hopefully) neither of them will be needed in a fight for life, and if they did, the end result would be only as good as the guy who was swinging it. So who cares what it cost or where it was made.

Some time ago I bought one of their 2 handed Katana machetes. They were cheap and I was like what the heck. I modified the handle, well evidently I took to much out of the poly/plastic handle and it snapped on me while using where they did not run a full tang. I thought good chance to work on my handling skills. So I cut it foward some to have enough metal for a full tang. And re-handled. The metal in the blade was seemingly done right as it would take a beating still keep an edge and was as hard as the proverbial w!#%*$ heart.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1150229-CS-Katana-re-handle-complete

The original H&H sword from CS had a bad reputation because of the way the hilt was secured. There was a nice wide tang all the way through the handle, but then it had a skinny piece of threaded rod welded onto the end and the pommel was screwed onto that. A number of people had the threaded bit (and pommel) break off while cutting, leaving them with an unusable sword. A few years back, CS changed the manufacturing process so that the threaded portion of the tang is integral rather than welded on and I believe has been beefed up in diameter as well. The pommel is now drilled all the way through and slides over the tang and is kept in place with a round nut that threads onto the end of the tang. This method is vastly better, and I haven't heard of any problems with the newer ones. I have a few swords by Windlass Steelcrafts (who is also the provider for Cold Steel, afaik) that are assembled this way, and I've never had an issue after years of backyard cutting, other than the nut coming loose every so often if I didn't loctite it. Remove the nut, put a dab of blue loctite on the tang threads, replace and snug down the nut so the hilt is tight, and you're ready to go. :thumbup:

I have bought more than a few Cold Steel products. I currently only own the Cold Steel grosse messer though because frankly all the other stuff I got from them is nothing more than trash in my opinion. Even the messer is trash but I keep it because it really does cut like a beast. The problem with their stuff is they are very cheaply made overseas and have very little in the means of quality control, often times the tempering is less than good, their swords have a bad habit of the edges chipping or rolling which is a tell tale sign of bad tempering and often times the hand guards are loose or something on the sword is loose and the finish on the weapons are normally not very good and the biggest problem is they are far from historically accurate. When I got the Messer there was actually a note on the website that said all of the messers they got from Cold Steel had loose guards and they basically said if it comes with a lose guard they wont take returns because cold steel did a poor job on ltteraly every single one of them. They never seem to put a distal taper on their blades which makes them feel less like a sword and more like you are just swinging around a sharpened crowbar, the balance is always way off and they overcharge. When I bought the Grosse Messer they were asking for a little over $400 at the time on their website but after very little looking I was able to find the same sword from Kult of Athena for less than $200 which means Cold steel is quite literally charging double what their trash swords are actually worth. Now This is coming from me and i collect and train with high end historical replicas so of course someone like me will think they are trashy swords whereas a beginner may well think they are everything they ever wanted. Cold steel swords are terrible if you want something real that is well balanced, made with skill and designed for competition. However if you are new to collecting or sword training and want something to just learn with or just something to sit on a wall or cut water bottles in the back yard than by all means go with cold steel just for the love of the gods do not ever buy anything from their website because they charge twice as much as they are worth, I recommend looking at other websites that sell cold steel products like cult of athena because then you will pay much less for it. All this being said as bad as my messer is from them I was able to easily use it to cut a hard oak 2x4 in half with one strike. They do a decent job cutting but the quality just is not there

Sigh! So much snobbery in the previous post - although he does admit it, at least. I have 4 CS swords - both flavors of MAA Messers (long and short), a long discontinued Horsemans sword (kind of a schiavona/basket hilt broadsword pattern sword) and an Indian/Patton cavalry saber. None have loose hilts. The short messer is very agile and lively with one hand, the long messer can be used one handed if I wish but naturally handles much better with two hands. Both came sharp and easily cut bottles cleanly if I do my part (technique and angle) - I don't use any any sword to try and chop down trees, so I can't say if the edge will roll or chip. But then again, that's not what swords were designed for - they are meant to cut flesh and bone and if you've ever seen a Proof video, there is little doubt about their ability there. The Horseman is pretty blade heavy and therefore no fencer but again, that's not it's designed purpose. It's a hack and slash battle blade and it seems to me for that you want blade forward weight bias. The Indian saber is lousy at cutting but is designed to pierce (from horseback, yet) so you can't fairly hold that against it.
I always laugh about the far from historically accurate comments - on these or any other mass produced sword. First of all, what is historically accurate? There is much more range in weight, balance, material, construction in antique swords than in modern swords - especially in museum examples. Most of the well preserved (as opposed the the rust deposits that are all that's left of many finds) swords were hand made at great expense to fit this or that particular rich guy. Most people never ever get to handle any of these but I bet if we were allowed to handle all of the extant examples, we'd find that some would feel magical in hand and others (the majority) not so much - even shading onto the sharpened crowbar category. From what I understand, most common soldiers carried the equivalent of mass produced weapons (unless they were lucky enough to loot something from the dead body of a rich guy or rich prisoner and didn't sell it for an immediate profit) and little of that survived as most of it ended up back in a furnace to be recycled. I bet they would be amazed by CS products. By the way, I don't ever remember seeing a CS ad claiming historical authenticity - just toughness and cutting ability. It's rather ironic for someone to say that they can cut through a hard oak 2x4 in one slash but that the quality just isn't there LOL!
The final point - price. That kinda depends. If you have oodles of cash and just don't care, it doesn't matter where you buy. On the other hand, if like most of us you have to count your pennies and/or are a compulsive bargain hunter, never go to the CS or Special Project site - you'll only be disappointed. The regular site is going to show you an MSRP usually 50 to 100% higher than street prices and Special Projects (the discount site) 20 or 30% higher. The exception is the occasional discontinued sale where you can get a real bargain - that's how I acquired the Horseman many years ago. Otherwise, definitely shop around for the best bargains.
As for the CS hate, I've always believed it based on two things - the advertising and personal hatred of LT because of it. CS has always emphasized the weapon side of cutlery and all the pantywaists out there hate that - as if saying tool instead of weapon and never talking about fighting with them will totally disarm the hoplophones and they will leave knives alone. There may be a more ridiculous assumption out there but I've yet to hear it.

... Most people never ever get to handle any of these but I bet if we were allowed to handle all of the extant examples, we'd find that some would feel magical in hand and others (the majority) not so much - even shading onto the sharpened crowbar category. From what I understand, most common soldiers carried the equivalent of mass produced weapons ...

I bet you'd be wrong about that, at least with swords made in the early 1700s or before. The mass-produced cheap weapons for common soldiers were spears.

I have bought more than a few Cold Steel products. I currently only own the Cold Steel grosse messer though because frankly all the other stuff I got from them is nothing more than trash in my opinion. Even the messer is trash but I keep it because it really does cut like a beast. The problem with their stuff is they are very cheaply made overseas and have very little in the means of quality control, often times the tempering is less than good, their swords have a bad habit of the edges chipping or rolling which is a tell tale sign of bad tempering and often times the hand guards are loose or something on the sword is loose and the finish on the weapons are normally not very good and the biggest problem is they are far from historically accurate. When I got the Messer there was actually a note on the website that said all of the messers they got from Cold Steel had loose guards and they basically said if it comes with a lose guard they wont take returns because cold steel did a poor job on ltteraly every single one of them. They never seem to put a distal taper on their blades which makes them feel less like a sword and more like you are just swinging around a sharpened crowbar, the balance is always way off and they overcharge. When I bought the Grosse Messer they were asking for a little over $400 at the time on their website but after very little looking I was able to find the same sword from Kult of Athena for less than $200 which means Cold steel is quite literally charging double what their trash swords are actually worth. Now This is coming from me and i collect and train with high end historical replicas so of course someone like me will think they are trashy swords whereas a beginner may well think they are everything they ever wanted. Cold steel swords are terrible if you want something real that is well balanced, made with skill and designed for competition. However if you are new to collecting or sword training and want something to just learn with or just something to sit on a wall or cut water bottles in the back yard than by all means go with cold steel just for the love of the gods do not ever buy anything from their website because they charge twice as much as they are worth, I recommend looking at other websites that sell cold steel products like cult of athena because then you will pay much less for it. All this being said as bad as my messer is from them I was able to easily use it to cut a hard oak 2x4 in half with one strike. They do a decent job cutting but the quality just is not there
Comes into BF as a brand new member, first post is on a post from 2014 and is a giant block of ignorant hate. Stop and think before posting, I see right through this. Not even going to address this but I will say this, you have a very poor understanding of how business works. Happy holidays.

Not sure if it helps (or if i should perpetuate this necro-thread) but i just received a CS 1796 pattern Light Cavalry Sabre. It is my first sword and I am tickled pink about it. I have not yet had the chance to use it but I suspect its performance will disprove the vitriol above. Now, where to find a jean jacket full of meat...?

I bet you'd be wrong about that, at least with swords made in the early 1700s or before. The mass-produced cheap weapons for common soldiers were spears.
Actually, I bet I'm not wrong. Evidence of arms manufactories go back all the way to the Egyptians and the Romans of the Imperium certainly mass produced both arms (including swords) and armor. Of course by mass production, I don't mean in the modern machine made sense. Think teams of guys producing so many rough blade blanks a day, a second team grinding and finishing, a third team applying the hilts, a fourth team fitting the scabbards, etc. Naturally, some of the people in each of these groups is going to be better than others at their jobs and so some finished products are going to be substantially better than others although everything will meet a minimum standard. Even though a lot of this organizational knowhow was lost during the dark and middle ages, not all was. Even though the levee en mass may have been a mob of farmers equipped with nothing but scythes and spears, feudal landholders were still required to supply a certain number of men at arms - not knights, but professional soldiers that they would be responsible for training and equipping. Even though the resulting "mass production" would have been very small scale it would still have been the only affordable way.

Back