Cold Steel the Master of Blade design

Cold Steel has been producing excellent blades since 1980. They design products with excellent geometry and strength. The CS blades I have purchased never had any blade movement with any of their triads or other locking mechanisms. I have an honest question: Why do certain brands like Spyderco get a pass with their lock-backs which have upward blade movement when cutting with downward pressure? I returned 2 Delicas and 1 Endura on Friday through the UPS Store back to Amazon because of blade movement. Has anyone experienced what I mentioned above?

Last edited:
I have seen that mentioned in for sale threads like its no big deal so I figured it was SOP for Spyderco. I am no expert but figured it was an extension of the design and not a problem except in extreme cases(hard to beat the Triad Lock). I have recently picked up a few Spidies for the first time in my life and they are nice knives but they are all so small(compared to CS). They are more of a novelty for me for the most part, pretty much carry CS 99% of the time but I can see why OP love them( probably me but I like that they make some here still).

Cold Steel has been producing excellent blades since 1980. They design products with excellent geometry and strength. The CS blades I have purchased never had any blade movement with any of their triads or other locking mechanisms. I have an honest question: Why do certain brands like Spyderco get a pass with their lock-backs which have upward blade movement when cutting with downward pressure? I returned 2 Delicas and 1 Endura on Friday through the UPS Store back to Amazon because of blade movement. Has anyone experienced what I mentioned above?
Welcome and glad you share our love of CS ! :)

Problems with Spyderco are best discussed on their manufacturers forum . But I never owned a bad one and you gotta be careful about the counterfeits , so common ! :(

Many conventional back locks have a little bit of blade play. So it's accepted. Doesn't mean a lock is unsafe.
There are some modern lock backs without play like the Spyderco Native 5, Lil' Native, Manix 2 back lock, etc. Some others use an internal stop that eliminates play like the Spyderco Chaparral.
The older tech Endura, Stretch, Delica, etc. typically have a little play.

. I have recently picked up a few Spidies for the first time in my life and they are nice knives but they are all so small(compared to CS). They are more of a novelty for me for the most part,

For me it's exactly the other way around. CS blades are fun to collect, but they are totally novelty knives, I'd never even think about carrying the vast majority of them, whereas nearly any Spydie I would gladly carry. Small and light is what I want in a carry knife.

For me it's exactly the other way around. CS blades are fun to collect, but they are totally novelty knives, I'd never even think about carrying the vast majority of them, whereas nearly any Spydie I would gladly carry. Small and light is what I want in a carry knife.

Life is good when you have many choices to fulfill your wishes.

Cold Steel makes some of my favorite carry knives, despite them sometimes coating stainless blades, or naming knives after fantasy fight scenes.

The 5.5 inch clip point voyager for in the woods. The 3V master hunter for hiking. Broken Skull and Recon 1 for edc.

CS knows how to design and execute a useful knife.

Last edited:
I ve had for daily users Enduras and Stretches that both developed some up and down blade play when locked open. I d prefer the didn't t have it, but it doesn't t seem to affect the knives in hard use. They just feel a bit cheap because of it. That wasn't t so bad when they were cheap!!

Now my main hard use knives are Cold Steel. Rock solid lockups, and very durable knives. And what got me started on CS in the first place was when I picked up a couple of them in a shop, and was very impressed with how good they felt in hand. Really nice ergos. And still a good value for the ;price.

Coldsteel is the wonderful wizard of Oz when it comes to knife design and manufacturing. I trust their blades with my life and have since I first learned about them years ago.

Back