Cold Steel Throwing Shovel??

Well it worked in WW II.

Think I'd rather have a hawk

Think this belongs in Prac Tac.

I was thinking if the shovel is used as a shovel should, ie digging into dirt. Wouldn't the "sharp edge" be destroyed within minutes and defeat the purpose of having an edge at all?

Digging will mostly blunt the edges on the top end of the shovel, and the edges on the side to a lesser extent. However, even after a lot of digging, it's probably still liable to be sharper than a non-beveled shovel, should one still need it to chop somethin' with. Mine's probably seen as much chopping as digging in the years I've had it. Ain't as keen as it used to be, and it's not as effective as a dedicated chopper, but it's conveniently in my car most of the time, and won't frighten city-folk for being there.

Yes, I agree, everybody needs a throwing shovel, probably a stabbing screwdriver as well

I just watched the minute thirty four video, time well spent, invest and you will receive great dividends of joy

Wazzamatta wit youz guyz? Cant youz have any fun wit t'ings?

A couple of years ago my teacher and I were introducing a small group of guys to knife and tomahawk throwing. A few weeks into it and they were getting the hang of it. So I walked up to the line with a CS shovel and it was like 'What the....?"

I hauled off and slung that old shovel (I am about 30 years older than the oldest in the group) and when it hit the cross section of tree we were throwing at, it split from top to bottom. They just stood there with their jaws flappin'. I did more damage with that shovel then all of them did with their tomahawks.

Another time years ago I was helping a friend work on his car parked in the street and one of his neighbors came by and saw that I was wearing a Bowie knife on my side. He started berating me and ranting about what a psychopath I had to be. At the time I happened to have on of those big flat bladed Craftsman screwdrivers in my hand. I grabbed it by the shaft, whipped around and let fly at a tree a couple of yards away. I buried that screwdriver a good six inches into the tree. Then, while his eyes were bugging out I got in his face and told him that if I were a psycho I sure as heck didn't need a knife to kill him. He left in a big hurry.

So the next time you yahoos start whining about something you don't understand, remember that some people enjoy the unorthodox.

Then, while his eyes were bugging out I got in his face and told him that if I were a psycho I sure as heck didn't need a knife to kill him. He left in a big hurry.

After that I'm sure he thought you weren't Charles Manson...:rolleyes:

Do those things come sharpened or what?

I buried that screwdriver a good six inches into the tree.

I believe the "stick" but the rest: pics or it didn't happen! :)

RMC- :jerkit: I was standing there doing absolutely nothing, he chose to verbally assault me and I defended myself. Not hurting him proved I wasn't a psycho.

cziv- Okay...maybe it was only 4", and it was thick bark. Sorry, no pictures, over 30 years ago.

Back