Cold Steel Tri-Lock system is great.

Cold Steel Tri-lock system.

REALLY DANG GOOD!

Just had to post about Cold Steel's Tri-Lock system. It's just dang great.

A few people told me the Tri-Lock is way much stronger than it needs to be! I told them "THAT'S THE POINT!" of why I got it!

I still have Gerbers and Buck lock back knives, but my current plan to acquire lock backs are Cold Steel ones even in the "Lowly Plebeian" Steels of Aus 8 and such for hard working blades I won't mind, well not too much, if I Bustroy them from from hard use. It wont' be intended hard abuse of the tool, but some times its the only thing around that needs to do some thing hard on it for the task at hand.

So far my hard use abuse of lock backs knives, seems the Tri-Lock stands up better to use hard use environment. Yeah still I forget the fix blade at times I forgot to pack.

My Recon and Code 4s are great performers, I'm not hyping about the great steel the knives I have. They do have great steel for the knives them selves. But the Tri-Lock system also seems to be VERY under rated.

Why would someone say ''its stronger than it needs to be''? probably someone that knows most other locks are inferior strength wise and trying to justify their knife!

For me the best part of a triad lock in the lockbar travel to disengage the lock. It takes way more travel before the knife can close than a traditional lockback. That gives me a little more confidence when using in case I unknowingly press the lock bar.

For me the best part of a triad lock in the lockbar travel to disengage the lock. It takes way more travel before the knife can close than a traditional lockback. That gives me a little more confidence when using in case I unknowingly press the lock bar.
True. Compared to the beta male back locks, Tri-Ad locks need an insane amount of force to disengage. I can turn my thumb white pressing on the lock and it won’t even move. That’s why I use my thumb’s first joint and my manly grip strength to close the knife.

Every time you open and close a Tri-Ad knife, three additional hairs grow on your chest. Fact.

On another note, I’d love to see more Cold Steel folders using the Tri-Ad lock. If the Luzon, for example, had the Tri-Ad and was made in Taiwan instead, I’d pick that up in a heartbeat.

Could you imagine a re-introduced Hatamoto with a 'tri-ad' locking system? A 'warblade' on steroids, that I wouldn't mind ponying-up the cash for.
This +1
Really just make it like the recon 1, thick g-10, basic s35vn steel, triad lock. Make it in satin blade, make DLC version too.
No BS, no fake carbon fiber over g-10 handle, no golden clip, no stupid brass opening thumb ramp, no plastic clip, no backlock(not triad) with extra safety switch.
It could sell well. The basic Recon 1/Lawman formula worked well since 2010, no need to change.

True. Compared to the beta male back locks, Tri-Ad locks need an insane amount of force to disengage. I can turn my thumb white pressing on the lock and it won’t even move. That’s why I use my thumb’s first joint and my manly grip strength to close the knife.

Every time you open and close a Tri-Ad knife, three additional hairs grow on your chest. Fact.

The problem is there is no consistency. I read about the tough ones but thought maybe a fluke because I had 4-5 that I could open easily. Then I bought one with the tough lock that I cannot operate with my arthritis. I wish they would check them before shipment for ease of opening. I went to a cutlery shop and sporting goods stores and found it didn't seem to be linked to a particular model just the luck of the draw it seems. I am probably going to sell the tough one(can't depend on a table edge etc all the time)and try for a more friendly user(old guy). Love the triad lock when I can use it properly.

The problem is there is no consistency. I read about the tough ones but thought maybe a fluke because I had 4-5 that I could open easily. Then I bought one with the tough lock that I cannot operate with my arthritis. I wish they would check them before shipment for ease of opening. I went to a cutlery shop and sporting goods stores and found it didn't seem to be linked to a particular model just the luck of the draw it seems. I am probably going to sell the tough one(can't depend on a table edge etc all the time)and try for a more friendly user(old guy). Love the triad lock when I can use it properly.

I've had two very tight Tri-Ads, as well. I've functioned them (repeated openings and closings) to the point of making them operable, but I understand your frustration. If leaving the knife halfway open for several days doesn't do the trick, I think you should send it to Cold Steel. They'll make it right.

-Steve

We’re mostly on the same boat, nephron. While my Tri-Ad knives are heavier to disengage than my Spyderco back locks across the board, they’re not consistent as you said. My Spartan and AK-47 are the toughest to disengage while my Rajah 3 and Voyager XL are the gentle ones. I do think that Cold Steel needs to set a standard weight for their lock and try to keep their knives close to that standard.

We’re mostly on the same boat, nephron. While my Tri-Ad knives are heavier to disengage than my Spyderco back locks across the board, they’re not consistent as you said. My Spartan and AK-47 are the toughest to disengage while my Rajah 3 and Voyager XL are the gentle ones. I do think that Cold Steel needs to set a standard weight for their lock and try to keep their knives close to that standard.

Uh oh, you said Spyderco! Is it all right to say Sp*****o on the CS Forum? I thought someone would show up on my doorstep if I did.:eek:;)

True. Compared to the beta male back locks, Tri-Ad locks need an insane amount of force to disengage. I can turn my thumb white pressing on the lock and it won’t even move.

I have many TA’s (15+) and none of them are as you describe. How many do you have like this?

Yeah I've never had a TriAd that was excessively hard to disengage. Have read enough reports over the years to believe it happens, but guess I've just been lucky so far.

I have many TA’s (15+) and none of them are as you describe. How many do you have like this?
As of the moment, two. My AK-47 and Spartan. Those two are more difficult to disengage than my four other Tri-Ad knives. At this point, I got used to it though haha. Doesn’t really bother me as much.

Back