Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter for 2015 in CTS XHP steel and G10

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hi folks, since getting this I've posted up a few images around, hard not to when you like something ;) but wanted to post this short review of the folder.

As the title suggests, this is about the Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter for 2015 in CTS XHP steel and G10, more smooth than the heavy texture we were use to on their knives.

Closed length 5"

Blade length 3 1/2"

Blade thickness approx. 3mm

Steel CTS XHP

Flat ground, fairly high grind, edge down to a thin cutting edge, don't have the edge bevel thickness...I'm sorry, but my calipers' battery died...didn't even know it was sick!

Handle scales G10 with a bead blasted type finish

They provide TWO clips but one set of screws, since the clips are handed, you need one for left or right side carry.

Handle thickness across the spine approx. .6"

Closed widest portion including the spine of the blade approx. 1.6"

Lock mech, none other than the infamous Tri-Ad locking system, locks up like a bank vault!

Handle has an anodized aluminum back spacer that is set in at the very end of the knife

Handle includes a lanyard hole, large enough for paracord to easily fit through.

Now the fit and finish of this folder is remarkable, very well done all around. It is made in Taiwan and they really have stepped up their game on this folder. The blade arrived shaving sharp and one test I give a knife is to see if it will push cut down through certain material, such as phone book spines, or q-tip shafts and this did both easily. Cardboard of course was a breeze to slice through. While the tip is pretty rounded, not an exceptional piercing type blade, it's intention is to be used as a hunter, hence the name. Which by the way I'm not a hunter and sometime down the road may well sand off that name on the blade. But if I need a very fine tipped knife to pick splinters out, I always carry a small traditional on me that will handle such a chore. While open, there is absolutely no blade play what so ever, it is a very solid locking folder mechanism and also unlocks without difficulty, you do need to press down hard, but you'd want that security too.

The handle, it's length and lack of multiple finger choils makes it easier to grip in a wider variety of positions and overall feels very comfortable and provides a confidence when in use. I did notice that when I had washed the knife, it was harder to thumb open the blade, the water making it a bit slippery, might take and make the thumbstud a little more coarse to help in opening. I have seen videos of some of you guys that have 'super' thumbs and flick these things open, that ain't me, so I thumb this one open in the traditional sense.

I prefer to think of this as a very No Nonsense kind of folder, even if it has a pretentious sounding name ;) you can see that I'm serious about sanding off the name eh? But it may very well be the "Ultimate Hunter" so that probably was a good name for it.

So this one gets the G2 approval, will she stay in the fold long? man I wish I could tell you yes without hesitation, but knowing my track record as most of you do, it is very hard to say, at the moment, I don't see her leaving this house, except clipped to my front right pocket, for a long time.

Here are some images of the knife that I took the other night, I've added a paracord, as I do on most of my knives, a diamond knot about an inch from the end aids in drawing the knife from the pocket hooking my pinky around the knot, the black thread is a whipping knot that ties the two paracords together, helping to keep it from moving into the path of the blade. The lanyard continues out for 6" and ends in another diamond knot.

CS_UH_Closed.jpg~original

CS_UH_open.jpg~original

CS_UH_Lock.jpg~original

Enjoy folks and grab one while you can.
G2

Last edited:
Thanks for the review Gary! What is your opinion of the short pocket clip? I have noticed Cold Steel uses these on several of their knives.

Good review G2 ,I bought one a few weeks ago and it is one of the few CS knives I have and I really like it.
JD I have not usually been to fond of their clips as well but they are definitely heavy duty and on this knife it is nestled into the g10 so it has a more refined look to it,I have carried/used mine and it carries good for a large knife.
My initial impression was that the blade to handle length ratio was a little off,but it is a hunting knife so if you use gloves or if you have large hands its definitely a plus.
I think lately with CS steel upgrade along with the Triade locking system CS is making some good headway

I like Cold Steel's smaller pocket clips that they use on most of their knives.

I wish that other companies would consider using smaller clips too.

Sometimes they will need to be bent up a bit to work smoother.

But it is nice that they don't poke the hand like other pockets clips tend to do when poorly designed.

Good talking point JD, glad you brought that up and thanks guys for your comments.

This reminds me of my English teacher in high school when he explained what makes a good story, 'A good story is like a girls skirt, it needs to be long enough to cover the subject, and short enough to keep it interesting' funny how things like that stick with you ;) But in this case I can apply that logic, in a way. As mentioned above, Cold Steel uses shorter length clips, with a strength that it does it's job well, without intruding on the better part of the handle in this case. Also they allow plenty of clearance for pocket edge material, about 4 mm clearance and 5mm to the top. Also at the tip they bring it up just enough to help get it into place but the very end is bent back down so it doesn't jab you in the hand. And one thing to, all the edges are polished and smooth, I've owned a few that you could tell were punched out and that left a crisp edge along the bottom edges, had to remove and sand down and smooth those out, on Cold Steel I didn't have to bother with that.

While they could provide a blackened one, they usually end up being scraped off anyways and look poor in the process, so it's probably better just to start out with a nice clean clip that should wear better.

On this one they use 3 screws to hold down the 48mm long, 9mm wide clip, very secure and as mentioned they have a shallow recess the clip rests in, serving as an anchor point so the clip doesn't move laterally. While the other side without a clip doesn't pose as a big gaping hole that you feel the need to close up, it's a tapered space, providing 'just' enough to do the job. Well done in my opinion.

Here's some images of the clip and the clips locating position.

IMG_5170.jpg~original

IMG_5169.jpg~original

IMG_5171.jpg~original

In the photos you can get a sense of the contour they did on the handle, and how the texture is too.

Again, thanks JD for bringing that up, good idea to take a closer look!
G2

Last edited:
Very nice Gary, and it does indeed look well made.

Good thing my budget is on lockdown for now!

Eric

Thanks Eric, but, it's just paper, you give them paper, they give you a knife...;) of course that paper can be hard to come by, but a small jar and a couple dollars a day add up quickly :)
G2

Gary,
Your photography is perfect for highlighting a knife review. Now I want another knife! Are you getting commissions :) ?

Man, that'd be great! but nope, maybe when I retire I might look into helping such places out like this, but in the mean time, I have two very strong passions, knives and photography and movies bringing in a close third ;)

G2

I just got my first two Cold Steel folders a couple of months ago as I became interested in the brand when the cts-xhp steel was being used. The Ultimate Hunter is a very well made knife. It has a 5 inch handle with a 3.5 inch blade but I like that size handle to use for a work knife and it carries fine for edc. Not too heavy at slightly less than 5 oz. Very nicely ground blade which I believe is a thin flat grind rather than a hollow grind. Seems to hold an edge well, and is a great slicer. I do wish the tip were a bit more pointed. I feel that it is one of my stongest folders, and with the light weight, excellent ergonomics, and good steel, all that remains to find out about is durability. I plan to do that. Last and not least ,at this price it seems to be a great bargain.
I like mine.

Last edited:
Any chance of some comparison pics vs. more standard knives (pm2, sebenza, etc)? trying to get a feel for how big and thick this thing is vs. somethings I own/owned.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, no Sebenza or PM2 but here's a quick shot of a few compared to the UH
Top to bottom;

Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter

Benchmade Triage

Zero Tolerance 0770cf

Kershaw Skyline

compare_closed.jpg~original

compare_spine.jpg~original

and added a Spyderco Dragonfly at the top

compare.jpg~original

if someone else has some comparison photos, please feel welcome to add to this thread.

G2

Thanks for the pics.. Looks like a beefy knife but not too big. I had a zt770 so it still gives me a reference point. I tend to favor smaller knives for edc but I like the blade and handle shape of the UH so much I may try it anyway.

Great review and pics as usual Gary. While this knife is not for me as the the blade shape doesn't please my eye and the handle vs blade ratio is off to me, I understand how big of a hit this will be for CS because it will fill a pivotal role for some folks. What I am curious about is how the steel holds up to edc use. After you have used it some and sharpened it could you come back and post about your experience with it? I am thinking about a recon 1 in spear point with this upgraded steel.

Great review GG - like that knife, gotta think the is some Demko inspiration in the styling.

Thanks sir, and craytab, I know exactly what you mean, it took me a few days to pull the trigger on this folder, mainly due to the blade shape, just seemed so 'blah' but I was finally drawn to it enough to go ahead and place my order. Knowing that if I needed to, I can always bring that spine down to a more usable point or at least one to my liking, but for now I haven't needed to bother with that and you may find yourself in that place too.

As to cutting, mainly boxes and layers of leather, with it's thin edge, I did order some batteries for my calipers ;), it cuts so very well and so far has held up. I'm sure others here would put their knife to harder use than what I've been doing so they are free to comment on their experiences in this thread, along with any photos they care to share of this knife.

One thing about having this longer lanyard on the knife, it helps when you are sitting down to be able to grab the end of that to pull the knife out of your pocket.

G2

I love the size. Looks perfect to me.

If I may be so bold?

Keep that sucker, ditch the clip and make one of your fantastic sheaths for it! It's just a fine looking knife that begs to be used. I like the idea of ditching the name though. About the only thing that sticks out poorly about it.

Thanks sir, and craytab, I know exactly what you mean, it took me a few days to pull the trigger on this folder, mainly due to the blade shape, just seemed so 'blah' but I was finally drawn to it enough to go ahead and place my order. Knowing that if I needed to, I can always bring that spine down to a more usable point or at least one to my liking, but for now I haven't needed to bother with that and you may find yourself in that place too.

As to cutting, mainly boxes and layers of leather, with it's thin edge, I did order some batteries for my calipers ;), it cuts so very well and so far has held up. I'm sure others here would put their knife to harder use than what I've been doing so they are free to comment on their experiences in this thread, along with any photos they care to share of this knife.

One thing about having this longer lanyard on the knife, it helps when you are sitting down to be able to grab the end of that to pull the knife out of your pocket.

G2

Ah, like you did with that gatsby. I think that would change my opinion of the blade entirely. And yes, getting rid of the big old name on the blade would be nice. Do let us know how the steel holds up over time.

Thanks Anthony, I clip it in order to also carry my Case Seahorse ;)

And yes, like the Gatsby it may get a slight work over, but not just yet.

G2

Back