cold steel warriors edge DVD series

What is you all's opinions about this series. I've always been curious about them and on his view points/training, but wasn;t willing to spend the cash for the set, but now Knifecenter is running a special, $18.00 for the full set!!

I;m especially interested in seeing volume 5:
"Volume 5, Offense:
How to recognize and exploit the 21 common openings or weaknesses in your opponent’s defense.The five principles in creating openings and the 11 pillars of strategy."

I've looked at them and I am not really impressed. If you want real combat knife training check out Sayoc Kali. IMO they are the best out there.

I had some classes with Chris Sayoc when he visited the Inosanto Academy many years ago so I can't argue with the preceding recommendation. I also had a couple years with Ron Balicki (www.ronbalicki.com) and enjoyed his Defensive Edge videos.

DancesWithKnives

I got the series, enjoyed watching it. I think the series is one of those things that would increase one's knowledge of knife fighting IN CONJUNCTION with other forms, not in exclusion to.

I liked it, especially the older edition, with Felix Valencia... Personally, I think it is a rather good set, but of course, you don't have to like everything they show. OK, Lynn Thompson does get to be a little annoying in presentation, but does not diminish the value of the information offered.

thanks for the info everyone,
I would definitely be using the dvd's as reference and to supplement what I already know. I have several years in pekiti-tersia, and Amok! but as I'm getting older, it's getting harder to get a buncha guys together consistantly to practice, especially people with similar knowledge and experience. Whenever I do get people together, I end up teaching...lol

I have several years in pekiti-tersia, and Amok!
Then I doubt you'd find anything on the WE DVDs that's better than what you've already picked up. I started Villabrille Kali in '95, and then Latosa Escrima in '99. I think it was around the end of '99 that I tossed my entire video library, as there was nothing in it that I wasn't learning better.

Then again, information is where you find it, so if you've got the disposable income, go for it. Swallow the meat and spit out the bones.

...but as I'm getting older, it's getting harder to get a buncha guys together consistantly to practice, especially people with similar knowledge and experience. Whenever I do get people together, I end up teaching...lol

Ain't it the truth.:( Good training partners are like gold.

+1 for Ron Balicki and any of his Defense Edge DVD's. Really great instructor, getting good stuff from good people.

Back