Cold Steel's use of Malaysian Sal Wood?

I know that the 'Malaysian Sal Wood' has been advertised in recent times by Cold Steel as being a handle material they use on some of their fixed blade knife models.
Anyone here reading this post have any experience and/or opinions about this wood being used in such a fashion?
Much thanks in advance šŸ˜Š

A google search revealed this:
Sal is sometimes referred to as Batu in the camps of Southeast Asian forests. Sal comes from Malaysia and other countries. Sal is one of the most important sources of hardwood timber in India, with hard, coarse-grained wood that is light in colour when freshly cut, but becomes dark brown with exposure.

More Googling

Advantages

• Sal wood is 25% to 30% heavier than teak wood and 45% to 50% harder and more durable than teak.
  • It is resistant to white ants, termites and fungi.
  • It is durable and water resistant.
Disadvantages

• Being very hard, sal wood isnā€™t easy to saw.
  • It cannot be polished.
  • It cracks under exposure to direct sunlight.
  • It is not a good choice for furniture or for exterior doors.
  • It shrinks and swells.
  • When compared to metal, it is very expensive.

Thanks, folks.
I myself had done some search engine look ups on the wood, but was hoping to find some actual in hand opinions about it.
I recently acquired both a CS Rondel Dagger and a CS Cinquedea. Based solely on the last two yearly Cold Steel online catalogs, both items should have the Malaysian Sal Wood as their handle material.
I had thought them to be made of Rosewood, but apparently, (again, based on the catalogs), they are not.
Just wondering what others think of this wood. I believe both of the models I have were handled by CS in the Rosewood during their first years of production.
In all honesty, I have no clue as to which of these two woods mine really are, (Sal Wood or Rosewood).

Thanks, folks.
I myself had done some search engine look ups on the wood, but was hoping to find some actual in hand opinions about it.
I recently acquired both a CS Rondel Dagger and a CS Cinquedea. Based solely on the last two yearly Cold Steel online catalogs, both items should have the Malaysian Sal Wood as their handle material.
I had thought them to be made of Rosewood, but apparently, (again, based on the catalogs), they are not.
Just wondering what others think of this wood. I believe both of the models I have were handled by CS in the Rosewood during their first years of production.
In all honesty, I have no clue as to which of these two woods mine really are, (Sal Wood or Rosewood).
Sal Wood is lighter colored than Rosewood, until its exposed to light. It appears to be a durable wood.

Back