Cold Weather Lighter

Doc have you tried the Butane inserts for Zippos?

No, I haven't but I like the Zippo the way it is. I also carry a mini Bic (as in the photo) so I figure I have the Butane part covered. Maybe it boils down to old dog, new tricks? :D

Doc

Try the ropelighter from goinggear.com. A little different but they work great. A bad wind just makes the coal burn hotter.

Try the ropelighter from goinggear.com. A little different but they work great. A bad wind just makes the coal burn hotter.

My dad and uncle had those about 50 years ago, and yes, they do work well. They bought them as 'windproof cigarette lighters'.

Doc

Doc. I'm not usually a lighter guy, but my G-friend smokes and the cheap butane ones she uses keep malfunctioning. So when I made an order form goinggear,com recently I picked one up.

It is a pretty cool little piece of gear. I must like it cause it stays in my pocket. It is greatb in the wind. Plus practicaly fool proof (always a plus).

No, I haven't but I like the Zippo the way it is. I also carry a mini Bic (as in the photo) so I figure I have the Butane part covered. Maybe it boils down to old dog, new tricks? :D

Doc
Lol! Well for the sake of $10 plus $4 shipping it might be worth a try. The conversion is not permanent and slips into the casing just like the original "guts", so if you don't like it its easy to revert back. Hmmm as far as that goes when camping you could carry a filled butane insert as a backup in case your regular zippo runs dry. If you are interested in that product email me and i'll send you a link to the ebay seller.
Merry Christmas by the way!
:)

I've had the bic fail too often (over a 40 year time period). 60 below-- (but few people will see that) but had them break, had the wheel not spin, and lost them. Had them unable to work in the wind, unable to get the flame into my kindling pile. 'Modern simple sure thing,' is difficult to come up with and is an opinion. I carry paper matches in small zip locks bags in more than one pocket and in all containers I have with me... along with a vial of waste oil and or strip of rubber tubing that lights and does not go out. Will get wet or large inferior kindling burning in an emergency. I've had my boat sink and able to grab 'one bag.' I've had my hands wet and to cold to spin a zippo wheel. A match can be easier to handle is such emergency situations. Knowledge of all the various ways to start a fire is helpful. I have started a fire with my gun, with the spark plug of my snow machine. Much depends of coarse on the kinds of situations you could end up in. I sort of like the new electric lighters that charge off a usb port (or off my boat, snow machine, ATV etc) works in rain wind cold etc. Still, 'one item' can get lost or fail. I carry chemical hand warmers, (If 'fire' is for warmth) Warm hands can start a fire better. Some thoughts. Good luck

Reactions: JV3
BIC lighthers work, but are small and thin. Long ago I switched to Clipper lighthers. Same principle, but bigger roundish profile, can replace the flint and you can recharge them. I always carry several. since I only use them to light stoves (always above treeline) I usually pack them by the stove. A few minutes before lighting the stove I put it in a pocket and that warms it up.

Keep in mind that below -13ºC the butane does not gasify... that's why you need to warm it for it to work. Zippo ligthers are bulkier, heavier and in my experience they always seem to be out of fuel whenever I need them to work. I think it is better to have 4 Bic/Clipper ligthers scattered arround the backpack and garments than a single Zippo.

Mikel

Some butane (torch) lighters do not work above a certain elevation. Can't really go wrong with a Zippo IMO.

I often hear that butane lighters and butane stoves do not work at high elevation, but this is not true. The difference between the internal pressure and the external air pressure is greater at high elevation, and, if anything, they should work better at high elevation. Perhaps the observation that they do not work at high elevation is because the temperature was lower, which will reduce the efficiency. Keeping the lighter warm in your pocket will fix that. When warm, butane lighters will have plenty of vapor pressure. When cold, they won't work very well.

This is also why most backpacking stove canisters are isobutane/propane mixes because they work much better at low temperatures than straight butane. I regularly camp above 11,000' and my canister stoves work just fine there.

anyone know what causes a bic's wheel to stop spinning? as in zero movement at all no matter how hard i try...still have plenty of fuel though.

i've had about 8 out of 12'sh i've stashed in various kits fail this way...most have been stored in an altoids tin in a drawer/pouch/backpack and some were in ziploc bags and nothing else there (including rolling it to expel as much air as i could)...i'm thinking humidity corroded the flint to the point the spring is now directly against the wheel but some were wrapped in cellophane wrappers there so virtually no air inside...i guess it's possible.

i asked a friend and he said the same thing happened to him.

anyone know what causes a bic's wheel to stop spinning? as in zero movement at all no matter how hard i try...still have plenty of fuel though.

You could take one appart (it is screwed anyways) and see what it looks like.

Sometimes, with ligthers, the flint breaks, get's knocked off or whatever and the wheel rubs directly against the upper coil of the spring. This is not something that should happen when the flint is brand new, it happens when it is almost wore down. With disposable ligthers this is not something that you should worry about since the fuel will be long gone before you run out of flint. Regarding corrosion... I don't think the flint would corrode THAT much.

Try switching to Clippers and see if the same thing happens. You can even refill them!

mikel

Back