Coldsteel Sold???

I was watching Sliceydicey video interview with Demko last week and he asked Demko whether CS will make AD20 and Demko responded without even thinking: “very unlikely”
That comment stuck with me because I find it very odd based on the way he said it. I wonder if he knew about this...

So the long and short of it is that product quality goes down the toilet? Damn.

More than likely. Maybe not right away, but I don't think Gerber or Camillus fell so far overnight either. In any case, I have my AD10, 4 Max Scout (with a 2nd on the way), SR1 Lite (sure its 8cr13mov and stupid thick grind but its so COOL!), and my SRK. I need to get an AD15, and maybe another SRK because it is a sweet little fixed blade and very cheap in SK5 (40 bucks!).

Too bad we won't see a Cold Steel AD20. I was really looking forward to it or an AD20 Scout. Aus10 is really good.

More than likely. Maybe not right away, but I don't think Gerber or Camillus fell so far overnight either. In any case, I have my AD10, 4 Max Scout (with a 2nd on the way), SR1 Lite (sure its 8cr13mov and stupid thick grind but its so COOL!), and my SRK. I need to get an AD15, and maybe another SRK because it is a sweet little fixed blade and very cheap in SK5 (40 bucks!).

Too bad we won't see a Cold Steel AD20. I was really looking forward to it or an AD20 Scout. Aus10 is really good.
Yes, Scout versions of the AD knives would’ve been great. Alas, we’re more likely to get Lite versions at this point. 4034SS is probably just the beginning.

Yes, Scout versions of the AD knives would’ve been great. Alas, we’re more likely to get Lite versions at this point. 4034SS is probably just the beginning.

I don't think we'll even get Lite versions. I can see the more expensive knives being phased out, and not replaced with anything of worth. They will milk the name for all it's worth then sell it off once they are done, and that will be that. If they really have canned all of Cold Steel's staff it is pretty much over right now. Look at how many brands GSM Outdoors has, and without the Cold Steel staff they have no idea about the niche Cold Steel filled in the industry. They'll immediately see what they can cut to maximize profits (like cutting the warranty back to 1 year, original owner with receipt). If they continue making the knives they are making now they will slowly be phased out or move production to a cheaper facility and lower quality control while keeping the same prices.

Oh well. Good while it lasted? I enjoyed Lynn's passion, his quirkiness, his love of knives and weapons of all kinds. I hope the brand doesn't tank, but firing everyone and changing the warranty...not a good sign.

If Demko doesn't stay with them, I'd love to see him take his extensive talents to another knife company. Spyderco? A ZT with a Demko lock? At least he will still be making his own knives. He is my favorite designer and lock innovator, and a really good guy to boot.

I was watching Sliceydicey video interview with Demko last week and he asked Demko whether CS will make AD20 and Demko responded without even thinking: “very unlikely”
That comment stuck with me because I find it very odd based on the way he said it. I wonder if he knew about this...

If it was last week, the deal assuredly done at that point, and known to the top people at CS. I'm pretty sure Demko would have known about it at that point.

I can't help but think the first thing we are going to see go is all the swords and other odd ball stuff like polearms etc. But then again maybe they sell more of those then one would think?

Good bye Cold Steel. Enjoy Lynn, bet you will be doing 24/7 hunting and martial arts.....

How disappointing. But it makes sense up here. Each year my preferred vendor gets at least two C.S. shipments. I ignored the first because I was pursuing another hobby, and expected the second. Wow. Now I have to scramble.:( Anyway. Thanks for the great products Mr. Thompson. I expect this to end my many years of buying C.S. Thanks again though for a GREAT run.:thumbsup:

This is probably one of the rare points where money and profit margin won't matter as much - believe me, those are RARE! But corporate wonks will take one look at those and think "LAWSUITS AND BAD PR!" and figure out how to get rid of them as fast as possible...!

I can't help but think the first thing we are going to see go is all the swords and other odd ball stuff like polearms etc. But then again maybe they sell more of those then one would think?

People are about to realize how much Lynn Thompson poured his heart and soul into the brand. Maybe I'm a glass half empty guy, but you better get your xl wish list checked off now before it's nothing but 3.5" folders for us.
That's what I'm afraid of. I guess people who were asking for smaller versions of XL folders will be happy.

Back