Coldsteel Sold???

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by Harlod, Dec 2, 2020.

1. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    I was watching Sliceydicey video interview with Demko last week and he asked Demko whether CS will make AD20 and Demko responded without even thinking: “very unlikely”
    That comment stuck with me because I find it very odd based on the way he said it. I wonder if he knew about this...

razorburn and RealVendetta like this.
  2. Man with no name

Man with no name

Jun 24, 2015
    It feels as though I have lost a very close friend. I'm sure that this decision was not made lightly. Wishing Lynn and the entire Cold Steel staff nothing but the best.

3. soc_monki

soc_monki Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 5, 2019
    More than likely. Maybe not right away, but I don't think Gerber or Camillus fell so far overnight either. In any case, I have my AD10, 4 Max Scout (with a 2nd on the way), SR1 Lite (sure its 8cr13mov and stupid thick grind but its so COOL!), and my SRK. I need to get an AD15, and maybe another SRK because it is a sweet little fixed blade and very cheap in SK5 (40 bucks!).

Too bad we won't see a Cold Steel AD20. I was really looking forward to it or an AD20 Scout. Aus10 is really good.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  4. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Yes, Scout versions of the AD knives would’ve been great. Alas, we’re more likely to get Lite versions at this point. 4034SS is probably just the beginning.

5. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Hmm! I wonder if that 3V Trailmaster and Recon Scout are still coming?

6. soc_monki

Apr 5, 2019
    I don't think we'll even get Lite versions. I can see the more expensive knives being phased out, and not replaced with anything of worth. They will milk the name for all it's worth then sell it off once they are done, and that will be that. If they really have canned all of Cold Steel's staff it is pretty much over right now. Look at how many brands GSM Outdoors has, and without the Cold Steel staff they have no idea about the niche Cold Steel filled in the industry. They'll immediately see what they can cut to maximize profits (like cutting the warranty back to 1 year, original owner with receipt). If they continue making the knives they are making now they will slowly be phased out or move production to a cheaper facility and lower quality control while keeping the same prices.

Oh well. Good while it lasted? I enjoyed Lynn's passion, his quirkiness, his love of knives and weapons of all kinds. I hope the brand doesn't tank, but firing everyone and changing the warranty...not a good sign.

7. Nautique

Nautique

May 15, 2016
    Bali still happening? Lol

jux t and jbmonkey like this.
  8. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    If Demko doesn't stay with them, I'd love to see him take his extensive talents to another knife company. Spyderco? A ZT with a Demko lock? At least he will still be making his own knives. He is my favorite designer and lock innovator, and a really good guy to boot.

9. soc_monki

Apr 5, 2019
    I think it would be fun to see what Spyderco and Demko could come up with!

10. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Gold Member

Oct 11, 2013
    If it was last week, the deal assuredly done at that point, and known to the top people at CS. I'm pretty sure Demko would have known about it at that point.

Pilsner, Lee D, AntDog and 3 others like this.
  11. dogstar

dogstar

Jan 23, 2011
    One silver lining is they may make sheaths out of cheap plastic... no more complaining about Secure-Ex!

JAM and DangerZone98 like this.
  12. cbrstar

cbrstar

Sep 7, 2015
    I can't help but think the first thing we are going to see go is all the swords and other odd ball stuff like polearms etc. But then again maybe they sell more of those then one would think?

13. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    That would be quite a combo.

David Mary likes this.
  14. WTF

WTF

Feb 20, 2000
    Good bye Cold Steel. Enjoy Lynn, bet you will be doing 24/7 hunting and martial arts.....

15. AlpacaWrangler

AlpacaWrangler

Aug 20, 2013
    Just posted a regular style post on their Instagram

16. upnorth

upnorth Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 25, 2006
    How disappointing. But it makes sense up here. Each year my preferred vendor gets at least two C.S. shipments. I ignored the first because I was pursuing another hobby, and expected the second. Wow. Now I have to scramble.:( Anyway. Thanks for the great products Mr. Thompson. I expect this to end my many years of buying C.S. Thanks again though for a GREAT run.:thumbsup:

DangerZone98, johnnywizzo and Smiling like this.
  17. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Cold Steel got me into knives. I'm grateful for that.

DangerZone98 and jlauffer like this.
  18. rycen

rycen Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Basic Member

Aug 22, 2002
    In case anyone needs to contact Cold Steel in California use 1-800-255-4716

The current phone number listed on the CS website does not connect to anything to do with cold steel.

19. rje58

rje58 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 21, 2013
    This is probably one of the rare points where money and profit margin won't matter as much - believe me, those are RARE! But corporate wonks will take one look at those and think "LAWSUITS AND BAD PR!" and figure out how to get rid of them as fast as possible...!

20. Larry Turko

Larry Turko

Oct 4, 2007
    That's what I'm afraid of. I guess people who were asking for smaller versions of XL folders will be happy.

jux t likes this.