Coldsteel Sold???

I can't help but think the first thing we are going to see go is all the swords and other odd ball stuff like polearms etc. But then again maybe they sell more of those then one would think?

If the forum goes dormant, perhaps they can move it to the "collector's forum" tab where Camillus and Schrade reside.

As for what's going and staying -

I doubt we'll see the jumbo sizes of folders around much longer. Cold Steel had them cause Lynn dug them, most companies shy away from them because of various states's blade length limits, and they are slower sellers to general buyers.

I think the swords and a bunch of the other oddball stuff is in for a major pruning.

The push daggers will get a cheapening. I do think they'll stay around somewhat in a cheap form because they are a good seller.

The Drop Forged line I think stays intact, but the Battle Ring and push dagger probably will get dropped.

The cheaper stuff stays.

Will be interesting to see what happens to the higher end Bowies - The Laredo, Natchez, etc..... I'm nervous for them. High end production Bowies are a slow seller usually, especially if they are somewhat historical in nature.

If you're a betting man, buy the stuff that Lynn liked first, a lot of it was only made because Lynn is a knifeman at heart, and they were made to suit his muse.

Chaos Series will also get dropped I think.

Drop Forged line could be their flagship line...

A lot of folks are probably agreeing with this really firmly right now.
Oh well, I picked up an AD15 for $150, so I guess that's OK. I think I've seen them a little cheaper but not by much.

Perfect ending to a real crappy year!My big question is; whats going to become of the 3v trailmaster and Recon Scout? will these knives materialize or is this new company gong to turn Cold Steel into Bud K like ive seen with other companies.This sucks!

I don't know whether my timing is excellent or sad...

I have never owned a Cold Steel product. I recently received a free Cold Steel Kudu Lite folder with a knife order and I was impressed with it. After watching a few YouTube reviews where it was shown that many of the products are outstanding values, I decided to try something else of theirs. I chose the Pocket Bushman and Recon 1 spearpoint. I ordered them last week.

While I was waiting for them to arrive, rumors of the company's sale starting circulating. They seemed well founded, so I decided to order a few more Cold Steel products. I ordered a 4-Max Scout, Recon 1s in the other blade configurations (clip and tanto) and a Pro Lite. Sure enough, rumors of the sale were confirmed true a day or two later.

I guess I pretty much grabbed the ones I liked and could afford at the moment. I like some of the higher-end models but they would compete with US-made knives I already own and don't represent what is my idea of what Cold Steel is. I guess it's possible I decided to try their products in the knick of time!

I truly am at a loss as to what to say. As a Cold Steel fan from the company's start, this is like learning about the death of a cherished friend.

I'm sure there will be more to write in the future, but for now I'll offer this:

To all the Cold Steel HQ employees, thanks for all the great service. I doubt you'll find a job that's as fun as working at Cold Steel, but I hope that you find employment again very soon.

To the old-timers like Robert Vaughn, Ron Balicki, and Andrew Demko, thanks for helping to make Cold Steel the great company that it became. Also, thanks for furthering the testing standards that proved what Cold Steel products could do. Please continue to contribute to this industry.

To Lynn C. Thompson, thank you for forty years of knife innovation, for making knives and weapons that no other company would dare to make, for insisting that your products did what you expected and claimed, and for pushing the boundaries of an otherwise stagnant market. You made Cold Steel a company to emulate, and you should be very proud of it. May you and your wife have a long and healthy retirement. God bless you.

-Steve

This sucks more than anything has ever sucked before. I have more Cold Steel than anything else in my collection cause it was cool oddball but well made stuff. The tomahawks before they were cool, the sword machetes, the plastic knives and the stuff made for all budgets like the Bushman fixed blades and the GI Tanto made of good carbon steel. I would bet that 2021 most of the cool stuff will vanish and it'll look like Camillus does now with everything being a 3.5 folder with everything made out of 420? steel with 8cr for the "premium" knives. Can 2020 please fucking end cause I can't take much more of this crap.

This sucks more than anything has ever sucked before. I have more Cold Steel than anything else in my collection cause it was cool oddball but well made stuff. The tomahawks before they were cool, the sword machetes, the plastic knives and the stuff made for all budgets like the Bushman fixed blades and the GI Tanto made of good carbon steel. I would bet that 2021 most of the cool stuff will vanish and it'll look like Camillus does now with everything being a 3.5 folder with everything made out of 420? steel with 8cr for the "premium" knives. Can 2020 please fucking end cause I can't take much more of this crap.

People can think it's weird to feel that strongly, but I went through it when Marlin was gutted. It was an end of era of something really different. I completely understand.

Perfect ending to a real crappy year!My big question is; whats going to become of the 3v trailmaster and Recon Scout? will these knives materialize or is this new company gong to turn Cold Steel into Bud K like ive seen with other companies.This sucks!

They never actually said that they were making these.

It's difficult to guess what will happen to Cold Steel because we don't know the terms of the sale and how much freedom the knife-people at Cold Steel will retain.
All the freedom they want, and more. Mostly freedom to find a new job. Already cleaned house and let most of them go. No, it's not hard to guess how this goes because they aren't keeping the "knife people."

Back