Coldsteel Sold???

After reading through the threads here today seemed like a good day to order the san mai Master Tanto, that should have been bought 35 years ago really.

Well, to add insult to injury as I was cruising the Forum tonight I heard a loud crash and tires screeching.

An A-hole drunk driver just smashed into my 4Runner and took off. Rear drivers tire is now living near the back seat.

Thank goodness the cops caught them, but I guarantee the insurance company is gonna short-change us.

2020 is garbage.

The driver is lucky I am a reasonable man...but Oooohhhh boy I was having thoughts of meat boots....

Well, to add insult to injury as I was cruising the Forum tonight I heard a loud crash and tires screeching.

An A-hole drunk driver just smashed into my 4Runner and took off. Rear drivers tire is now living near the back seat.

Thank goodness the cops caught them, but I guarantee the insurance company is gonna short-change us.

2020 is garbage.

The driver is lucky I am a reasonable man...but Oooohhhh boy I was having thoughts of meat boots....
Ah that sucks

Has there been any statement made by Lynn Thompson or cold steel? I think one is owed to us customers and fans.

If my next door neighbor sells his house to a crack dealer and that crack dealer is going to turn the house into a crack house, I don’t extend my best wishes to them. When they say by they get the finger.

I bought another SK5 Recon Tanto just hours before finding out I won't be employed longer than 31.12.2020.

If I knew I probably wouldn't buy it. Now I'm at work and I just keep looking at that box inside a bag of my backpack. For some weird reason I find it oddly comforting I bought it...

Holy sheet, just read the thread. Holy sheet, holy fugging sheet.

I dont have the cash to stockpile my fave knives and they are going to go shit or dissappear.

Man this is the worst thing to happen this year, I'm depressed.

Many of us have had family and friends pass away this year, heck some users on here have even died. It's definitely not the worst thing to happen this year. It's a knife company, it sucks, but there is still existing stock out there to buy.

Maybe a little perspective is in order.

After reading through the threads here today seemed like a good day to order the san mai Master Tanto, that should have been bought 35 years ago really.

This is also going on my Christmas list to myself. The first time I saw anything about cold steel was an ad in a leatherneck magazine advertising the master tanto. To me,that and the trailmaster are the quintessential cold steel fixed blades.

Has there been any statement made by Lynn Thompson or cold steel? I think one is owed to us customers and fans.

He doesn't owe anyone anything, except maybe his employees. You bought a knife from his company and that's it. That is the end of the transaction, aside from possible warranty work.

Would a statement be nice? Yes. But it is not owed.

All the freedom they want, and more. Mostly freedom to find a new job. Already cleaned house and let most of them go. No, it's not hard to guess how this goes because they aren't keeping the "knife people."

Surely not arguing with you but do we have confirmation of the layoffs? I have no doubt it happened but just haven't seen anything that confirms it.

2020 is garbage.

Sorry dude.

They never actually said that they were making these.

Not sure how the buyout may impact this, but certainly seems like they were going to do it based on the below from Demko:

currently w have POs out for the trailmaster ,kukri plus and recon scout

We have been planning the 3v thick stuff for a long time and working on the manufacturing of the 8mm stuff for over two years. I think Lynn didn't really want to dip his hand on this one because of so many obstacles especially this year. I have not been watching blade form in a long time . I see and have recommend to Cold Steel that we need to pay more attention here. Thank you all for your patience and input.

He doesn't owe anyone anything, except maybe his employees. You bought a knife from his company and that's it. That is the end of the transaction, aside from possible warranty work.

This is objectively correct. However, some of us have been customers of the brand and the man for decades. For people like me Cold Steel was more than just another knife company, they were the only knife company that said fuck political correctness and skinny jean "manhood," they unapologetically made martial blades and weapons for those of us who appreciate such things. They were the only company out there doing it and they still are, or were. They didn't even play around with euphemisms talking about slaying zombies or such crap, they straight out said that their knives were for self defense. No one else has ever done this.

LT traveled the world digging out examples of fighting knives from every era of history. Then he brought them to us, hacked up cows and meat filled cowboy boots to prove their effectiveness, then sold them to us at reasonable prices. More, he made sure that no matter how broke you were his company had you covered. They had something you could count that wasn't crap.

Some people are content with a 2" pocketknife. It was good enough for Grandpa and its good enough for them. They might even collect them. Some of the more hard-core of these folks carry bad ass three or even three and a half inch tactical folders. It says Swiss Army right on the box, and who does more fighting than the army, right? Those people, and the companies that cater to them, have always talked shit about Cold Steel and Cold Steel customers.

Lynn Thompson never did. When Benchmade got caught donating exclusively to anti gun leftists, and using their machinery to destroy guns, LT come out and made his contempt clear. Cold Steel supports your rights, they believe in self defense, and they LOVE guns.

Anyway, I have probably said too much, and said it poorly. I will try to cut to the chase. Cold Steel was more than just a company I did business with. This news was a big deal to me, and I am sure that I am not alone.

God speed Mr Thompson, you will be missed.

Last edited:

(Perfect ending to a real crappy year! My big question is; whats going to become of the 3v trailmaster and Recon Scout? will these knives materialize or is this new company gong to turn Cold Steel into Bud K like ive seen with other companies.This sucks!)
They never actually said that they were making these. According to Andrew Demko, they did tests on them and they were moving foward at the time to make them,they were having Peters do the heat treating;all that info was in the A2 update thread.I just hope they come out long enough to get one before the ship sinks...

I'm not downplaying the warranty issue at all, but I can say that I've never needed warranty service or replacement on any knife I've ever owned. (knocking on wood!) Maybe I'm just lucky. In the case of Cold Steel knives that may never again be available in their current build, I'm buying a few more with no worries about warranty duration.

I'm not downplaying the warranty issue at all, but I can say that I've never needed warranty service or replacement on any knife I've ever owned. (knocking on wood!) Maybe I'm just lucky. In the case of Cold Steel knives that may never again be available in their current build, I'm buying a few more with no worries about warranty duration.

I rarely make use of any warranty; but it is a reflection on the quality of the product and clearly the new owners do not stand behind their products.

n2s

Maybe to you, and maybe to the people that worked there, but plenty worse has happened this year overall. You think the woman who called me Sunday crying and asking for time off because her grandparents were in the hospital dying of Covid gives a crap about the fate of a knife company?

Back