Collecting Criteria/Metrics

I've been buying knives for a little while now. My interest started working as a chef and I got into non kitchen knives from there. Initially, I bought crappy knives from some place in NOLA - I just liked the way they looked and they were cheap. Of course they performed poorly, in general.

Eventually, as my interest and knowledge grew I picked up a few lower priced customs (smaller fixed blades) and then things got more expensive. I bought a couple custom fixed blades, which I have since sold, and then some custom folders. Then some more fixed blades, and a few more folders. Etc etc.

I have sold quite a few of the knives I have bought as my tastes have changed.

I have been trying to work out what it is that makes a knife appealing to me, and also what makes a knife unappealing to me. So, I have been trying to make a metric for my knife collecting so I don't end up buying knives that fall outside my core sweet spots.

For me:
Steel/finish: San Mai, Random-ish damascus (think a lot of Nichols damascus), hamon, stonewash all preferred. I won't buy a knife with DLC ever again. Not interestedin mirror polishes or really tight intricate damascus
Blade Shape: No real definite preferences here, other than I am not a fan of wharncliffe or sheepsfoots, or chisel grinds. I do like tanto, trailing points, and recurves a lot.
Handle Materials: Carbon Fiber, bone, burl woods all appeal to me, copper or brass accents, and a few "textile" handle materials are nice too, Ti is nice for accents or even the handles - but I am not crazy about flamework
Types: I like folders and fixed blades, and have been getting into autos lately. Not into little fixed blades really, or neck knives, or small folders (>3")
Category: I try to group them into EDC, Outdoor/Work/Hunting, or straight collection pieces

That's a real basic idea. And I'm working on it.

So, if for instance I saw a folder with a carbon fiber handle, a great san mai blade, titanium clip and backspacer, but it had a chisel tanto blade, that should fall outside my collecting criteria. I do make an occasional impulse buy and usually regret it. On the other side, I bought the Molozic Kukri that was on sale here last month and it meets several of the criteria - carbon fiber, bronze, recurve with hamon. Fits my collecting metric in several areas.

Do some of you have definite collecting criteria? I know I've seen evidence of it in some posters collections. Just wondering how y'all define your collecting tastes. Are there some of you who have real random collections and like it that way? Just whatever strikes your fancy? And do some of you stick to a very specific script - ya know stag or bone handled fixed blades over 10" or something like that? And how many of you have had pretty radical shifts in your collecting tastes over time?

Just thought this might be interesting since I've been trying to get it figured out. Would save me some hassle - and money. I think I also just enjoy seeing collections where there is a high degree of specificity.

Last edited:
I do not, and I don't collect anymore.

I have things I like and I typically go for " my kinda knife " but nothing is really set in stone and I will send a little bit here and there.

I've been buying knives for a little while now. My interest started working as a chef and I got into non kitchen knives from there. Initially, I bought crappy knives from some place in NOLA - I just liked the way they looked and they were cheap. Of course they performed poorly, in general.

Eventually, as my interest and knowledge grew I picked up a few lower priced customs (smaller fixed blades) and then things got more expensive. I bought a couple custom fixed blades, which I have since sold, and then some custom folders. Then some more fixed blades, and a few more folders. Etc etc.

I have sold quite a few of the knives I have bought as my tastes have changed.

I have been trying to work out what it is that makes a knife appealing to me, and also what makes a knife unappealing to me. So, I have been trying to make a metric for my knife collecting so I don't end up buying knives that fall outside my core sweet spots.

For me:
Steel/finish: San Mai, Random-ish damascus (think a lot of Nichols damascus), hamon, stonewash all preferred. I won't buy a knife with DLC ever again. Not interestedin mirror polishes or really tight intricate damascus
Blade Shape: No real definite preferences here, other than I am not a fan of wharncliffe or sheepsfoots, or chisel grinds. I do like tanto, trailing points, and recurves a lot.
Handle Materials: Carbon Fiber, bone, burl woods all appeal to me, copper or brass accents, and a few "textile" handle materials are nice too, Ti is nice for accents or even the handles - but I am not crazy about flamework
Types: I like folders and fixed blades, and have been getting into autos lately. Not into little fixed blades really, or neck knives, or small folders (>3")
Category: I try to group them into EDC/Tactical, Field Use, or straight collection pieces

That's a real basic idea. And I'm working on it.

So, if for instance I saw a folder with a carbon fiber handle, a great san mai blade, titanium clip and backspacer, but it had a chisel tanto blade, that should fall outside my collecting criteria. I do make an occasional impulse buy and usually regret it. On the other side, I bought the Molozic Kukri that was on sale here last month and it meets several of the criteria - carbon fiber, bronze, recurve with hamon. Fits my collecting metric in several areas.

Do some of you have definite collecting criteria? I know I've seen evidence of it in some posters collections. Just wondering how y'all define your collecting tastes. Are there some of you who have real random collections and like it that way? Just whatever strikes your fancy? And do some of you stick to a very specific script - ya know stag or bone handled fixed blades over 10" or something like that? And how many of you have had pretty radical shifts in your collecting tastes over time?

Just thought this might be interesting since I've been trying to get it figured out. Would save me some hassle - and money. I think I also just enjoy seeing collections where there is a high degree of specificity.

Interesting, since your focus leaks into collection pieces, what is your take on the new hybrids of "modern traditionals"?

Would they rest in collection pieces, or your EDC category?

Take my Peña for example, where would this sit for you?
20170613103803_1024x1024.jpg 20170613103957_1024x1024.jpg

Interesting, since your focus leaks into collection pieces, what is your take on the new hybrids of "modern traditionals"?

Would they rest in collection pieces, or your EDC category?

Take my Peña for example, where would this sit for you?
Well, depends. For me, I think I would carry that, but I see how it would be a collection knife for some. And when I said collection, that really means "won't ever get used as intended." I have a couple that fall in that category - I love them, but I know I will never use them.

I have been trying to work out what it is that makes a knife appealing to me, and also what makes a knife unappealing to me. So, I have been trying to make a metric for my knife collecting so I don't end up buying knives that fall outside my core sweet spots..

Heh? o_O You find yourself buying knives that don't appeal to you?

Why would you do that?

I mean I have a "definite collecting" criterion: if a knife doesn't appeal to me, I won't buy it.

Heh? o_O You find yourself buying knives that don't appeal to you?

Why would you do that?

I mean I have a "definite collecting" criterion: if a knife doesn't appeal to me, I won't buy it.
Well, I've never bought a knife that does not appeal to me. I mean more that my tastes have changed over time. I am trying to refine my selection process by seeing commonalities among the knives that I have held onto/remained favorites and get to the point where most or all of the knives I buy will remain interesting to me. Like I said, I know there are things that appeal to me and don't, but trying to understand that better is the goal.

Was mostly curious as to what some other members use as deciding factors because I find collecting interesting in general, and as I said I love when people have a really dialed in collection.

My area of focus, when I was accumulating knives actively, was: traditional pattern slip-joint folders ranging in size from 2.5" to 4.25" closed lengths.

Within that, I had preferences for some handle materials over others, and some patterns over others, some brands over others. But I also had a desire to experience a variety of patterns, because occasionally I would find that a type of knife I originally did not like might turn into a favored pattern after I had tried the first one.

I didn't have a rule-set that I was following per se - more like a random walk of acquiring things that appealed to me at the time, with the occasional foray into other areas outside my comfort zone.

I don't view what I have compiled as a well-ordered and planned out collection with a central theme, but it does fit more or less into a genre when looked at as a whole.

I buy knives that "I want" for a variety of reasons and never get rid of them with the exception of gifting. It's funny how time changes your perception of a knife. Don't laugh but I still have a Blackjack Maumba because I liked how it looked.

My collection is anything but "dialed in". I collected case knives for a while, then went on to modern folders, then flippers, and I've always bought custom fixed blades whenever I attended a knife show. I've also bought knives that aren't particularly high quality just because I liked the look of them. Now I am gravitating to custom made Bob Loveless designs. (Can't afford actual Loveless knives unfortunately).
And I've never sold or traded any of my knives, but I have gifted a few over the years.

My "collection" is what would be good users for a variety if task and also that would appear visually. I like slip joints so wanted a small gentlemans sized, easy carry, just in case something needs cutting knife which for me is a GEC #14 Boys knife. I wanted a larger utility size for the garden or outdoir tasks hence a GEC #72. Cody Scout. For fruit and food prep/edc it is a Northwoods Hawthorne and general EDC other than food prep, a Northwoods Delta. Different blade shapes on each, different covers. So, no set criteria other that does it fit into my (imaginary) need. :)

Funny to see you mention San Mai as I tend to avoid any clad/sandwiched blade I prefer a solid steel though I do like Damascus but that is a different process. It is also funny to see you not like a mirror polish as that is one thing I love on my blades I know it won't last but I like it as it is gorgeous when new and then you get to look back on the times you had together as your use mars that mirror finish.

Well, I've never bought a knife that does not appeal to me. I mean more that my tastes have changed over time. I am trying to refine my selection process by seeing commonalities among the knives that I have held onto/remained favorites and get to the point where most or all of the knives I buy will remain interesting to me. Like I said, I know there are things that appeal to me and don't, but trying to understand that better is the goal.

Was mostly curious as to what some other members use as deciding factors because I find collecting interesting in general, and as I said I love when people have a really dialed in collection.

Well, I guess I see your point. Are you trying to start a "themed/dialed-in" collection or something? Like "stacked leather handle fixed blades" or "knives from France" or "Serpentine Whittlers" etc?

I don't really have one of those, other than "intelligently designed knives that do their job well."

Of course, nothing wrong with thinking about what you like....we all do it all the time.

Well, I guess I see your point. Are you trying to start a "themed/dialed-in" collection or something? Like "stacked leather handle fixed blades" or "knives from France" or "Serpentine Whittlers" etc?

Of course, nothing wrong with thinking about what you like....we all do it all the time.
I may just be a little (or a lot) OCD. I don't like hanging on to things "just because" so I am trying all the time to figure out what is most critical to me in the things I own. I might not be explaining it well.

Thats the part I was asking about though, what you mention. I would imagine there are folks who collect/buy with such easily defined criteria. Like some art collectors collect Expressionist painters from from the years XXXX through XXXX or someone could be even more specific and collect only paintings by a single artist or only paintings of unicorns. I wish I could narrow it down so easily. It may be quite normal to not be able to narrow it down though, but I suspect I am not normal.

I'm getting more specific with age and "experience". All PM stainless. Folders less than 5.5 ounces. Keen on milled clips for some reason...so mainly Ti.

Could go into a long list of attributes that automatically disqualify ownership for me but that's counter-productive IMO.

My typical folder "deployment motion" is pretty automatic at this point, so one-handed opening tip up is a must. Having a folder on my person is a convenience, and I want a knife to act that part.

Opening and closing is a ritual, a knife must satisfy the expectation during both.

The sound of the lock up (and it must instill confidence) is also part of my criteria. That's my queue that I'm GTG, because typically I'm not confirming visually.

Fixed blades around 4" and comfortable to carry scout in kydex. Full flat or saber grind = happy camper in the woods.

I may just be a little (or a lot) OCD. I don't like hanging on to things "just because" so I am trying all the time to figure out what is most critical to me in the things I own. I might not be explaining it well.

Thats the part I was asking about though, what you mention. I would imagine there are folks who collect/buy with such easily defined criteria. Like some art collectors collect Expressionist painters from from the years XXXX through XXXX or someone could be even more specific and collect only paintings by a single artist or only paintings of unicorns. I wish I could narrow it down so easily. It may be quite normal to not be able to narrow it down though, but I suspect I am not normal.

I think you are overthinking the whole thing! :D

If you are meant to have a "themed" collection, the theme will come to you eventually.

I will play along with the template you set:

Steel/finish: I am pretty open to this, depending on price. 8Cr13Mov and AUS8 at a minimum. Some of the 'super steels' can be challenging to sharpen, I usually end up sending them back to the manufacturer if they offer that service. I prefer stonewashed or satin blade finishes, I try to stay away from coated blades when possible, but willing to make exceptions at times.
Blade Shape: I like clip points, drop points and sheepsfoot, the occasional wharncliffe. The blade shape on my Benchmade Grip 550 is one of my favorites. Not crazy about tanto, or recurves that are extreme enough to make sharpening overly difficult.
Handle Materials: G10, Carbon Fiber, micarta, bone, wood, FRN. I am DONE with all metal scales EXCEPT for my Sebenza. On other framelocks, I want something besides metal on the non-lock side. Do other people's hands never sweat, or get wet/damp? Slippery knives are not for me...
Types: Folders and fixed blades, modern and traditional. Generally blade sizes between 3-inches and 4-inches, with some exceptions. I like traditional "doctors knives" that have a spatula, and a few other oddities.

Last edited:
My metric is: Knives I Like.

That's it.
I have a collection of knives I like, that I also like to use. :)

Back