CollectorKnives / LionSteel Otnat

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by L.H.S, May 16, 2018.

1. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    I noticed that the blade seems thin in profile with the handle when viewed from the side, but that seems to be a feature required to get the tang sunk below the handle when closed.

2. OLd_gUY

OLd_gUY Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    For me, and my predominate usage, the Otnat has definitely become the favorite in my pocket. The innovative blade design is as good as it gets. So much so, that I've just ordered another Rams Horn. Overkill? Can't get enough of a good thing? Probably yes to both but I just can't resist. Besides, I've got 3 grandsons and so I'll probably end up getting at least another two in Ebony in addition when possible!
    "Collector Knives - Where Old Quality Meets New" says it all and actually may be an understatement.
    OG

3. Dean51

Dean51 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I checked it with a 1" micrometer & out of the box it was .015. No burrs but a bit obtuse.
    I sharpened it to 20 DPS, remeasured and got .018.
    I went with a clip point because I didn't have a clip that size. I don't know what the carbon fiber type is called but I like it much more than the normal carbon fiber. Just enough grip with out being rough.
    This knife is to good to be a safe queen, it just begs you to use it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Filoso, Gevonovich, Pomsbz and 9 others like this.
  4. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Thanks...I think ? lol my first purchase in 2019, of course on Jan 1st doesn't bode well for the remainder of the year!
    The clip point looks great, looking forward to getting it in hand.

G2

Deinos, Laurelbb, Pinemoon and 3 others like this.
  5. Dean51

Aug 30, 2014
    Mine came in on the 31st, so I can honestly say I haven't bought a knife in 2019 :D

6. redsparrow

redsparrow

Oct 3, 2014
    I'll be interested in hearing what you think Gary. Especially how you find it to sharpen. :thumbsup:

dc50, Railsplitter and Gary W. Graley like this.
  7. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Dean, that's great :)

and James, I'll report back once she arrives, I'm hoping that the stag one I picked will be a bit knarly in texture and not too smooth, we'll see what shows up I reckon !
    G2

redsparrow likes this.
  8. Pinemoon

Pinemoon Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2005
    That's great feedback.
    And not helping my wallet whatsoever :mad:
    That otnat blade shape sure looks like a winner. Very appealing...

Edit to specify otnat, not clip shape

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  9. Pinemoon

Mar 25, 2005
    Just checked the CK site. Looks like you might have just got the last otnat in rams @OLd_gUY !
    Sigh...:(

Gary W. Graley likes this.
  10. OLd_gUY

Feb 20, 2018
    If so, that is absolutely AMAZING as I believe I may have also scored the last Dark Rams Horn in early Dec (post #143 of this thread), now the last Light one?
    If true, I'm not sure of what that might mean except that I was extremely lucky - a BIG thank you to the knife gods.
    Guess I'll have to get the radar focused on those Ebony's as soon as I can.

Pinemoon likes this.
  11. Pinemoon

Mar 25, 2005
    I'm happy for you. I snoozed and loosed.
    That's really pretty neat that you probably got the last dark and light versions!

OLd_gUY likes this.
  12. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    Aargh, I didn't realise you would get one. Now of course I want one too! Really nice and thin behind the edge too. Can you show a picture of it next to a roundhead for size comparison? Thanks!

13. Dean51

Aug 30, 2014
    i didn't realize I would get one :rolleyes:
    I'll work on the Pic.

Pomsbz likes this.
  14. Dean51

Aug 30, 2014
    Pomsbz I don't have your photography skills but here you go.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pomsbz, Filoso, tmd_87 and 4 others like this.
  15. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    I've checked in here repeatedly and just never pulled the trigger, than the interest began to peak a little more each time, finally after what seemed like an awful long time I decided on the ebony drop point. It arrived and I was seriously impressed. The ebony is jet black and ebony being one of my favorite covers I went that route. Then the otnat kept calling, I wanted a dark rams horn but James' (redsparrow) posted his light version and I was hooked:eek: I may not have gotten the last one but I had to be close:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dc50, Pàdruig, Filoso and 7 others like this.
  16. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    Having owned the Shuffler...twice...I'm liking the differences I see in this comparison, thanks for posting that!
    G2

Pomsbz and vilePossum like this.
  17. vilePossum

vilePossum

Jan 14, 2015
    I am in the same boat as Gary. The differences look good!

18. Pinemoon

Mar 25, 2005
    I was thinking, it's probably pretty easy to put custom covers on these knives.
    Maybe I'll get a micarta otnat and put my own rams horn (or another material) on them :thumbsup:
    Hmmmm....

19. OLd_gUY

Feb 20, 2018
    That would be far above my skill level but I thought I remembered a pic that might be of help and found it HERE in the Lionsteel "Roundhead" Barlow PICS thread.
    There are also some pics in there of some very nice covers that some have done for the Roundhead.

Pinemoon likes this.
  20. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    Wow, I thought it would significantly bulkier! Thanks. Oh and no thanks from the wife. :D