CollectorKnives / LionSteel Otnat

It's interesting to me, looking at Paul's pictures, that LionSteel have beveled the ram's horn and rounded the snakewood.
I wonder . . . why the difference???

It's interesting to me, looking at Paul's pictures, that LionSteel have beveled the ram's horn and rounded the snakewood.
I wonder . . . why the difference???

- am no maker, Jeff.........my theory though is that Rams Horn is far less stable to work with and different parts of the horn are more stable is there's a bit of meat to them. I know from chatting to makers that it can be a real swine to work with and will start to curl if you so much as turn your back and open a beer...! ;)

An interesting theory, Paul, as horn does like to curl a lot more than bone or wood. My own idea was that the steeper bevel to the horn was to preserve as much of the surface bark as possible. It's just that rounding feels so much better in the hand . . .

Indeed, Jeff - another good reason.

I'll find out...

black mamba black mamba - reply came back:

"...yes, working with horn is very difficult, and it is very difficult to keep it straight and low… That’s because “naturally” this material comes out curved.
Sometimes when we make the Italian traditional Pattada knives for some customers in Sardinia we use thinner scales also, but for this project that was the thickness decided by Gianni and Collector Knives."

Back