CollectorKnives / LionSteel Otnat

According to the video, there will be more blade options coming. Maybe a clip blade like the old Remingtons?? I like that the joint is sunk and that you can adjust the pivot. (According to the video, you can adjust the pivot if you remove the covers.) The lanyard attachment is nice also.

8xdjZAT.png

To me it looks like it was inspired by Jared Oeser's Native pattern. I'm not fan of Tanto blades in general but this is a pattern I like a lot. The previous LionSteel slippies have been amazing. Great fit & finish, a real pleasure to use. In my opinion the cover materials were the only disappointment. If the natural micarta on this run is more similar to what GEC uses then I think this could be a real home run!

To me it looks like it was inspired by Jared Oeser's Native pattern. I'm not fan of Tanto blades in general but this is a pattern I like a lot. The previous LionSteel slippies have been amazing. Great fit & finish, a real pleasure to use. In my opinion the cover materials were the only disappointment. If the natural micarta on this run is more similar to what GEC uses then I think this could be a real home run!
I agree. I wasn’t thinking of Lionsteel when I chose Micarta. My focus was on my GEC #71 Bullnose, which is wonderful. I hope, like I said in the previous post that it is more like a rough hewn, textured Micarta. I’m wondering if Mike could acquire any samples of the scale choices that he’s offering.

Why is this thread even in the traditional knives section? There is nothing even remotely traditional about this knife. Same goes for those horrible franken-barlows that lionsteel makes. Our mods, who would normally pounce on content like this, seem prepared to let this slide.

Last edited:
Why is this thread even in the traditional knives section? There is nothing even remotely traditional about this knife. Same goes for those horrible franken-barlows that lionsteel makes. Our mods, who would normally pounce on content like this, seem prepared to let this slide.

Except for the clipped top of the spear blade, this knife is nothing but traditional. You can have your opinion as to the aesthetics, but you can't redefine what makes a knife traditional for the rest of us.

Last edited:
Going by the very hard to define benchmark of "Would someone from the early 20th century see this as a normal knife?" I do think this looks less "traditional" than the Spyderco Grasshopper or Roadie, but I'm fine with it being here. I guess that's obvious since I started the thread.

I'm sorry, but I don't care for it at all. I don't like the blade shape, and the pull is waaaay too far toward the tip. It would feel very awkward to open.

How would it feel awkward? The closer to the tip the nail nick or long pull are the easier a knife is to open.

IMG_9241.JPG
A couple years ago Arno Bernard was having troubles with a couple of their fixed blades slicing the sheaths if not very carefully inserted because of their upswept blades. So they changed the spine of the blade slightly to eliminate the issues and our sales dropped dramatically. No change whatsoever to the cutting geometry. It went from a classic "Sharpfinger" shape on the right, to the more "Nessmuk" look on the left which was not as well received in the U.S. There have been thousands of blade shapes over the last couple hundred years; and many weren't changes at all.

Except for the clipped top of the spear blade, this knife is nothing but traditional. You can have your opinion as to the aesthetics, but you can't redefine what makes a knife traditional for the rest of us.

If you read the guidelines you'll see that this knife fits the definition that we use. Mike's response pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject.

How would it feel awkward? The closer to the tip the nail nick or long pull are the easier a knife is to open.

I was thinking this as well. I've had a few big barlows, like a queen grand daddy, and with a stiff pull the nail nick closer to the tip was a nice touch. I think the grand daddy had two, one somewhere into the clipped area and one near the middle of the length of the blade, never used the one near the tang but I didn't use the knife a ton either as it was too much knife.

As a pinch open design as Mike says, I'm more curious now about the knife, honestly. The aesthetics aren't for me still because of the swedge but It does make me think it would be a really nice knife to use and I am digging the handle design a lot.

The guidelines state. “If a regular knife user of the mid 1960's would find nothing out of the ordinary about the design, then it's traditional.”

The knife user from the mid-1960s would need to be a self sufficient guy, who wasn’t bothered by having to make his own torx screwdriver to adjust his pocket knives.

Nothing further to add.

Last edited:
Why is this thread even in the traditional knives section? To that I ask why not? The saying “if your grandfather would recognize it” holds true here. Except for the blade shape, it looks a lot like a GEC #73 Scout Single Blade Trapper pattern to me. There are more blade shapes coming out.

horrible franken-barlows that lionsteel makes” You may not like the franken-barlows but if GEC could reach the smoothness and consistency of the Lionsteel franken-barlows they would be considered customs. Then the average user would not be able afford them. The lionsteel barlows are slip joints.

Our mods, who would normally pounce on content like this, seem prepared to let this slide. This thread accepts the Christy Knife and there is nothing traditional about it. It's nothing but a replaceable blade box cutter. SAK's are here and there is nothing traditional about their modern mass produced manufacturing method. Considering the number of blades on some of them, aren't many of them more of a multitool than a traditional knife.

Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints. Started – Sep. 10, 2008 - 217 – pages. Since when did a Chinese Case knock off become an accepted traditional. I remember that happened right after Camillus and Scherade failed. Maybe, just maybe if those old companies had embraced modern materials, manufacturing methods and ideas, they would still be here with us today.

Again my Thanks to Mike at C.K. For bring out something new and exciting.

I couldn't get the video above to work so I'm reposting in case others are curious too.

I'm enjoying the discussion about "traditional". Some good replies to the objection. I'm becoming more traditional and old timey every day (not my taste in knives - ME) :)

Ray

Is it traditional to push your blade open with your thumb against the edge? :eek: :D

LionSteel is a real pioneer in slip joint modernization, imho. While I'm not into the Ontat, the barlows are really something, and there are really no limits to what they might do. LS reminds me of the early stages of the GEC phenomenon. Being of somewhat sound mind and finite resources, I have vowed not to get dragged down into the same vortex again. I have a Shuffler, second run. Now I'll do what I should have done with GEC and wait for the 4 blade LionSteel scout. Can you imagine what the steel and handle materials will be? Perhaps it will even be small enough to put in my pocket.

What say you?!?!
What I say: It is nice to see that there are general production makers who are innovating with design and material choices in non-tactical pocket knives. That being said, that particular knife does not appeal to me. Though neither do the two pictured Remington knives that it resembles.

What I say: It is nice to see that there are general production makers who are innovating with design and material choices in non-tactical pocket knives. That being said, that particular knife does not appeal to me. Though neither do the two pictured Remington knives that it resembles.

Agree. I'll probably be interested in one of the other blade shapes ...

Back