CollectorKnives / LionSteel Otnat

If I may... Light Otnats are beautiful too!!!

Mark
mQ1BxSA.jpg

Open
av96j49.jpg

Pile
dxcJIOY.jpg

Thank you CollectorKnives/LionSteel
True Story!! That looks to be a beautiful example and I'm sure it's even better in person. Congrats Taylor. ✌

I may have missed the boat on the Ramshorn. I didn't know about these till after the dark ones were gone. Really wish I could have snagged a figured dark/ light combo or even a light with some figure to it.
I had a light Ramshorn Roundhead but favor darker or at least figured covers.

Just got mine yesterday. Other than the edge was too thick for my taste, I'm loving this knife. Great f&f, nice action, and it rides well in the pocket. I'm curious to see how well M390 holds up in use, but if the difficulty in reprofiling was any indication, it should hold a working edge for quite a while.

Can you measure the thickness behind the edge on yours?
G2

Unfortunately, I don't have a micrometer handy Gary. If I can find one at work, I'll see if I can get the measurement for you.

It was definitely reminiscent of the kinds of edges you typically see on Buck's Stockman knives.

I mighta just got one that slipped through the cracks. Or, I'm just picky about my edges. The edge itself was probably within the parameters you mentioned knifeswapper knifeswapper , but there was a good bit of steel behind it. I mainly just took the shoulders down a little bit. It's definitely a slicer now, but it's not so thin that I have to worry about breaking it if I slip up.

I hope there's enough interest after the clip point version comes out for a Zulu spear style blade. I don't think I could resist that, especially in this steel.

Can you measure the thickness behind the edge on yours?
G2

I was able to put a micrometer on the blade, and it looks like it’s 25/1000th of an inch where the primary grind meets the start of the edge grind. This is a post reprofiling measurement.

Also, it’s the first time I’ve used a micrometer, so there may be a little variance in there.

Thanks, that is a little thick for a small folder, of course depends on how wide you made the bevels too.
appreciate your checking!
G2

Thanks, while hard to tell from photos, it does look like your knife may be a tad thicker than designed, if they are suppose to be sub .020.
G2

Thanks, while hard to tell from photos, it does look like your knife may be a tad thicker than designed, if they are suppose to be sub .020.
G2

I'm not sure if you've owned a Benchmade 940 yet, but the edge profile definitely reminds me of that knife, especially near the choil.

It works out though, because I envisioned this as more of a "do a little bit of everything outside of work" knife.

Yes, you have moved/angled the bevel up far enough - it may be in the 25 range where you are now at. Right behind the original edge is sub-20.

View attachment 1043556 View attachment 1043557

If I set them to 25, this is where it takes me....

View attachment 1043611

Ah, that's where I took my measurement from. I might have misunderstood when Gary said behind the edge. He probably didn't mean that far behind it!

I cleaned up the edge a little bit more once I got home, and now it will cleanly slice newspaper. Going by the fact I can touch it up on the 30 degree setting on the Sharpmaker tells me the edge is 15 deg per side, give or take. I gotta say, it's been quite a while since I've been this smitten with a knife. Usually there's a bit of buyer's remorse, but I'm all in on this one. It doesn't hurt that the handle fits me perfectly. It's also one of my favorite blade shapes next to the Zulu/Tribal spear point. Seriously, put a Zulu spear point blade in this handle, and I think I would be done buying folders.

tRgWt8k.jpg

To me the average knife that any company makes is a 7.5 on my scale; since I don't use fractional numbers it has to be a 7 or 8 if it is right on par. I would have liked the clip to sit a little lower, but we left it high to be pinchable (I don't pinch) . So, it boiled down to just a personal preference. Sadly, this is the way these rating sometimes work.

To me the average knife that any company makes is a 7.5 on my scale; since I don't use fractional numbers it has to be a 7 or 8 if it is right on par. I would have liked the clip to sit a little lower, but we left it high to be pinchable (I don't pinch) . So, it boiled down to just a personal preference. Sadly, this is the way these rating sometimes work.
That’s good to know, thanks Mike!

Anyone else finding the proportions of the clip and drop blade Bolus funny? The blade looks a drop too small for the handle? The Otus looks more proportional. Probably very comfortable to use though.

Back