Collectors: What makes you want to collect a maker's work?

Richard, can you tell me a bit about what your expectations are when contacting a maker to have something made? Do you have something designed in your head that you want the maker to execute or are you personalizing to some degree a model the maker has made before? Are you adamant that modifications be made to your specs or do you rely heavily on the instincts of the maker?

I have had instances where a customer has contacted me regarding a knife of mine they have seen and want a copy made. And although I try to encourage them to personalize the piece by changing materials or some other aspect to make it more special for them, they lack the vision and just want one like the one they saw. Other times I might get a client that keeps adding request upon request for additional details and changes. This can get tricky. You want to give the client what they want but two things happen. One is that endless changes drag out the project and delay getting started in earnest on the job. The other is that the client becomes the designer which can take the fun and inspiration out of the project. Then you are just making other people's designs. So what are your expectations when contacting a maker to have a knife made? Would it turn you off on a maker if he prefered to keep closer to his own designs?
I think this will depend a lot on the client and the maker. For me the maker is an artist whose creativity is what attracted me in the first place. I would try to give a general idea and then let the maker take it from there within their style. When I look through the Darom books for inspiration, it is almost frustrating that I would never have thought of all the things I find most amazing.

If we can get it to Coop, you'll soon see a piece from Del Raso in line with this scenario. I mentioned a few things I like and then he knocked it out of the park.

Last edited:
the client becomes the designer which can take the fun and inspiration out of the project. Then you are just making other people's designs. So what are your expectations when contacting a maker to have a knife made? Would it turn you off on a maker if he prefered to keep closer to his own designs?
I requested two folder designs from a "newer" builder. All specs my own. He sent me exactly what I designed in two titanium framelocks.
I've been here for a long time, with loads of knife purchases.
His work was outstanding....my designs did not feel good in my hand....sold both soon after.
LESSON LEARNED.

For me it is very complicated.

I don't really "collect"....and certainly not at any level others do.

I only have a handful of custom knives. 10 or so??

I have 3 from one maker, two from another and a few singles.

Price/value plays a roll. Do I look at the knife and think "wow!! This knife is perfect for the price I paid...outstanding!!"

Also, do I like the maker? Very important to me. I won't buy/own knives if I don't like the maker. How do they deal with customers?

I've used/reviewed some customs from a maker who fell off the wagon from a standpoint of keeping up with orders....(taking money up front, then not delivering for years). Poor turn arround on repairs/ etc.. Even though his designed were great. Felt just perfect in my hands, high performance etc...

I avoided him because he was ruining his own reputation...

I don't like makers who are rude, or belittling to people.

I do watch makers interactions with people online....

I appreciate makers who are free and open with their knowledge. No "secrets" or "mysticism" etc.

I don't like miss information either.

I have only "designed" my own knife once. Size, length, blade styles, handle materials, shield etc...

That was a great experience. It gave me a real sense of ownership.

I also appreciate a maker being willing to say "that is a bad idea...or that won't perform well", or "I won't do that for this reason"

...would love to see pics when available...
Looks like we won't have Coop's pics until late Oct, so here's a sneak peek.
(I didn't need much coaxing, I'm pretty excited about this piece)
As you can see, since one of Peter's fortes is Persian style fighters, I didn't ask for a bread knife.
I had a few inputs into blade length, materials, and some ideas for the Griffin, but otherwise let the master work his magic.
I received many pics along the way that gave a glimpse into the process. As a hobbyist maker that was great.
ecl3bfs.jpg

4FfEMDA.jpg

Peter's work is always tasteful, interesting and skillfully done. This one is no exception. Does he do his own leather work? That sheath is fantastic as well.

Looks like we won't have Coop's pics until late Oct, so here's a sneak peek.
(I didn't need much coaxing, I'm pretty excited about this piece)
As you can see, since one of Peter's fortes is Persian style fighters, I didn't ask for a bread knife.
I had a few inputs into blade length, materials, and some ideas for the Griffin, but otherwise let the master work his magic.
I received many pics along the way that gave a glimpse into the process. As a hobbyist maker that was great.
ecl3bfs.jpg

4FfEMDA.jpg
Absolutely stunning work! Beautiful piece........đź‘Ťđź‘Ś:)

Back