Colonial Knife Co Providence R.I.

Those are some very nice examples! I too like the colorful nature of EOD celluloid, each one is so unique. Lucky (well, in a collector's world, translate to that to darn persistent) to find them in such great shape!

Thanks Bartleby.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have some nice Kent end of day knives that I really like and I'm very happy to finally find some by Colonial. Its hard to find the Kent's without cracked handles and Colonials are much harder.

I have some nice Kent end of day knives that I really like and I'm very happy to finally find some by Colonial. Its hard to find the Kent's without cracked handles and Colonials are much harder.
I find that the material is often fascinating to look at, changing according to the light and angle in which it is viewed, especially in examples in good condition. They were well liked in their heyday, and often used to destruction.

I find that the material is often fascinating to look at, changing according to the light and angle in which it is viewed, especially in examples in good condition. They were well liked in their heyday, and often used to destruction.

You said that perfect, I know exactly what you mean. I like to do that too. My youngest daughter is 12 and she loves collecting knives. We were sitting outside looking at these in the sun the day I took the pictures talking about how interesting it is to look at all the pieces up close in the sun. :)

You said that perfect, I know exactly what you mean. I like to do that too. My youngest daughter is 12 and she loves collecting knives. We were sitting outside looking at these in the sun the day I took the pictures talking about how interesting it is to look at all the pieces up close in the sun. :)
Cool! It sounds like you have a future collector there. The end of day celluloid is certainly eye-catching, even to non-enthusiasts. My wife immediately claimed the first EOD celluloid knife she saw in my collection, still carries it in preference to all others.

Here is my Old Cutler Barlow

o6v4atgh.jpg

MmGLLGZh.jpg

4tbrnvDh.jpg

Here is my Old Cutler Barlow

I carried an OC Barlow in wood with stainless bolsters for years, they are great working man's knives. I have always preferred the pattern as the tool it was originally intended to be, rather than as a fancy high dollar collector knife. A great example!

Interestingly the patent spends most of the wording on securing the covers with the bolsters, which isn't the method used here. I would reckon that the blades were used by Imperial in several different models at the same time. Very cool little knife!

Interestingly the patent spends most of the wording on securing the covers with the bolsters, which isn't the method used here. I would reckon that the blades were used by Imperial in several different models at the same time. Very cool little knife!
I think you're right because I've seen an identical looking blade in a knife with shell construction and imitation pearl, and that's where this patented method would've been used.

If memory serves, Imperial and Colonial were owned by related families and used to share their patents.
It would make sense for Colonial to mark a patent number that they are borrowing from Imperial if they used the patent features on the knife, which doesn't seem to be the case here. Did Imperial supply parts to Colonial?

That looks identical to my Colonial Barlow's right down to the font on the bolster, blade shape, and the sharpener's choil. Nice!
At times the handle material and tang stamps seem to be the only difference between the two lines. Later Old Cutlers often have thicker blades and linings than other contemporary Colonials.

I speculate this gift I just received to be a colonial and am hoping you can confirm or deny this.

Hi Hickory n steel.

Sorry it took me so long to find this. Looks like you have it figured out. Its definitely an Imperial. Colonial and Imperial have a lot of knives that look the same but the patent number confirms that this one was manufactured by Imperial.

The Paolantonio's and Mirando's have a friendship that goes back to the 1800's in Italy. Both families are from Frosolone which was a place known for its cutlery. Their friendship continued in America at their factory's. There were Paolantonio's that worked at Imperial and Mirando's at Colonial.

They shared ideas and information that resulted in very similar if not identical knives at times. But I never heard of them manufacturing knives for each other.

I think the knife was made by Imperial.

The Paolantonio's and Mirando's have a friendship that goes back to the 1800's in Italy. Both families are from Frosolone which was a place known for its cutlery. Their friendship continued in America at their factory's. There were Paolantonio's that worked at Imperial and Mirando's at Colonial.

They shared ideas and information that resulted in very similar if not identical knives at times. But I never heard of them manufacturing knives for each other.

I think the knife was made by Imperial.
When I first got it in hand it gave me a real imperial vibe, but knowing how similar some of their knives can be and never having seen an unbranded imperial I wanted to be certain.
Thanks for the input :thumbsup:

Back