Colonial Knife Co Providence R.I.

What were the dates for the CKCo in rectangle tang stamp?

Hi leghog.

Colonial tang stamps are tough. Colonial didn't keep records of theirs like most large knife manufactures. So an official tang stamp chart doesn't exist.

I have been researching this for years and am working on a Colonial tang stamp chart that I want to release one of these days.

The CKCO tang stamp was the first one used by Colonial. Starting in 1926 it was only used until about 1930. I believe 1930 was the year they started using the curved Colonial tang stamp.

AYQNrF.png

ahwbvX.jpg

prFYkN.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/539x600q90/923/ahwbvX.jpg

Here is my Colonial line-up... I have not been disappointed with any of them :)

Hi Kevin. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your Colonial pictures. I enjoyed seeing them. :thumbsup:

I have a few of the Fish Knives also, I really like them. I want to clean a trout with one of mine this summer.:)

Here is one of mine that is a lot like your oldest one. They have the same tang stamp, both are from the 1930's and look similar.

Brian

c0qCOJ.jpg

YHJryg.jpg

Hi Kevin. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your Colonial pictures. I enjoyed seeing them. :thumbsup:

I have a few of the Fish Knives also, I really like them. I want to clean a trout with one of mine this summer.:)

Here is one of mine that is a lot like your oldest one. They have the same tang stamp, both are from the 1930's and look similar.

Brian

c0qCOJ.jpg

YHJryg.jpg
I was happy to see the thread pop-up with some fresh posts, thanks Brian :) I will have to go back to the beginning and take a trip through the entire thread. Like I mentioned, all of the Colonial's I have function like new with full snap, even the shell knives. I laughed when I saw in Goin's where he mentions that the curved stamp and the straight line mark on the non-shell knives were well built unlike most Colonial knives. I think that keeps many people from buying them but that just leaves more for us to pick-up at a decent price :D:thumbsup: That rat killer shield was pretty cool ;)

Thanks. I knew my EDC was early but didn't realize it was that old.

CK%2520Co%2520Main%2520Open.JPG

Nice! That is definitely a 1920's Colonial. What is the second blade on that? It could just be the picture but the second blade seems kind of big for a pen blade? Does it have two large blades?

This is an interesting coincidence that you posted this knife leghog. The next Colonial I am getting ready to post is a CKCO Scout knife I got a few months ago. I need to upload the pictures still but I am hoping to post them tonight.

For now here is a picture of my favorite 1920's CKCO Colonial. Funny that I also have coins and buffalo nickles in this one.

b6uds8.jpg

AUHzrW.jpg

Thank you L leghog for showing me there was an old Swiss Master logo I didn't know about. I finally found a nice one for my collection.

As I have said before, at one point Colonial was contacted by Victorinox because they felt the logos that Colonial's Swiss Master knives had were too similar to their own. To avoid a lawsuit Colonial agreed to change them. They changed to the one with two lines on it.

Here is a picture with the two old logos and the new one.

HHMZLT.jpg

plHHMZLTj

Thank you L leghog for showing me there was an old Swiss Master logo I didn't know about. I finally found a nice one for my collection.

As I have said before, at one point Colonial was contacted by Victorinox because they felt the logos that Colonial's Swiss Master knives had were too similar to their own. To avoid a lawsuit Colonial agreed to change them. They changed to the one with two lines on it.

Here is a picture with the two old logos and the new one.

HHMZLT.jpg

plHHMZLTj
Pretty cool.
I still carry my colonial made Sabre once In a while.

Do you know if they had an agreement with Victorinox to use Victorinox's can opener? I ask as pretty sure it is Hickory n steel who has a Colonial with a Victorinox type can opener. John

Do you know if they had an agreement with Victorinox to use Victorinox's can opener? I ask as pretty sure it is Hickory n steel who has a Colonial with a Victorinox type can opener. John
Yep that's my Sabre USA which i was told is probably from the early 90's long after all that court stuff.
I have no clue if there was an agreement, did Vic patent their can opener or something ?

Someone also posted a blue handled Colonial with a SAK type can opener, but I cannot find that photo right now. John

Pretty cool.
I still carry my colonial made Sabre once In a while.

That's a neat one. :thumbsup:

Hi John.

I don't think Victorinox was worried about the can opener but I cant say for sure. I think if there was a story behind the can openers that Robert Paolantonio would have talked about that also when talking about having to change Colonials stamp for them.

Colonial used the Victorinox style can opener for at least 10 years and I feel its more likely Colonial would have changed them if Victorinox complained.

Someone also posted a blue handled Colonial with a SAK type can opener, but I cannot find that photo right now. John

Yes I remember, I have it.

S8wWJZ.jpg

What I find most interesting about this blue one is not that it has the Victorinox style can opener but that it has it on an older style handle where you can see the tubular rivets. Most of the later Swiss masters with this can opener had hidden assembly rivets like Hickory n steels knife.

Colonials first SAK style knives had carbon steel blades and an older style can opener. They were called Swiss Master Master Series utility knives.

Here are the first two and they both have different can openers and cork screws.They also have brass liners and all the models after these have aluminum liners.

pxKvpJ.jpg

6SCQv3.jpg

Then we have the next kind that has the new logo stamped on it but still has carbon steel blades with exposed rivets and an old style can opener.

I have the bail for this one but I took it off because I use it a lot and don't like the bail in my pocket.
bAihUT.jpg

Now this is where I think the Blue Colonial Swiss master fits in. The first sign of the new can opener and belt punch, probably stainless steel blade but still has visible assembly rivets.

S8wWJZ.jpg

Then Colonial re designs them. They now have hidden assembly rivets, stainless steel blades, Victorinox style can openers, the awl becomes a belt punch and they add what they call a tote ring which is just a Victorinox style key ring. Some of them even have the Phillips screwdriver...once again just like Victorinox.

These are called the Swiss Master Ranger Series. The model numbers are all in the 2000's where the old models were in the 1000's.

And those are what we see here in Colonials last Catalog from 1995.

GRfzG3.jpg

Here is a picture of a 6 function Swiss Master Ranger Series Model # 2006.

epBqrx.jpg

Last edited:
Colonials first SAK style knives had carbon steel blades and an older style can opener. They were called Swiss Master Master Series utility knives.

Here are the first two and they both have different can openers and cork screws.They also have brass liners and all the models after these have aluminum liners.

pxKvpJ.jpg

6SCQv3.jpg

Then we have the next kind that has the new logo stamped on it but still has carbon steel blades with exposed rivets and an old style can opener.

I have the bail for this one but I took it off because I use it a lot and don't like the bail in my pocket.
bAihUT.jpg

Now this is where I think the Blue Colonial Swiss master fits in. The first sign of the new can opener and belt punch, probably stainless steel blade but still has visible assembly rivets.

S8wWJZ.jpg

Then Colonial re designs them. They now have hidden assembly rivets, stainless steel blades, Victorinox style can openers, the awl becomes a belt punch and they add what they call a tote ring which is just a Victorinox style key ring. Some of them even have the Phillips screwdriver...once again just like Victorinox.

These are called the Swiss Master Ranger Series. The model numbers are all in the 2000's where the old models were in the 1000's.

GRfzG3.jpg

epBqrx.jpg
Any idea why they chose to make the " tote ring " in a way that it can come out ?
I find it weird that they would make it the way they did, it's definitely not meant to be taken out as you end up with major blade play if you do so I'm assuming it must've had something to do with assembly.

pxKvpJ.jpg

6SCQv3.jpg

bAihUT.jpg

S8wWJZ.jpg

GRfzG3.jpg

epBqrx.jpg
I got curious and had to check which kind of can openers are on my two Forest-Masters, and I see the carbon has the old style, but the stainless has the Victorinox style. I always assumed these two are about the same age. Did they ever make the new Vic-style in carbon? Maybe they phased out the old style when they started making the knives in stainless?
Colonial ForrestMasters resized.jpg

Any idea why they chose to make the " tote ring " in a way that it can come out ?
I find it weird that they would make it the way they did, it's definitely not meant to be taken out as you end up with major blade play if you do so I'm assuming it must've had something to do with assembly.

Interesting, I didn't know they can come out. My only user Swiss Master doesn't have the ring.

Did you have keys on it when it came out?

I thought the assembly pin on that end went through it.

I guess this is an example of the kind of short cuts that enabled Colonial to sell these so cheap.

Something to keep in mind is these retailed for $5.73 in 1995.

Interesting, I didn't know they can come out. My only user Swiss Master doesn't have the ring.

Did you have keys on it when it came out?

I thought the assembly pin on that end went through it.

I guess this is an example of the kind of short cuts that enabled Colonial to sell these so cheap.

Something to keep in mind is these retailed for $5.73 in 1995.
I was taking the split ring off when it pushed in and i discovered it would come out.
I took it out learning it has to be there and finagled it back In after a bit of thinking.

It won't just pull out as it has to rock in and upwards , plus the split rong locks ot on.

I'd love to find one similar to that blue one, wich is like mine with a bail and without the corkscrew.
I find it to be of the size where a bail would come in handy, plus I like all it's functions other than the corkscrew.

Last edited:
Back