Colubris DLC durabiliy...

manghu67

American Kami Custom Blades / Knifemaker
Thought I would post some testing pics of what the Colubris will do so you guys can see for yourselves. This is my personal FDE DLC coated knife. I was curious about edge retention and durability of the coating, so I've really been beating the hell out of this knife. It's done all sorts of stuff, and I don't know how many times it's been in and out of the sheath so far. I have yet to resharpen it, let alone touch up the edge.

Prior to these pics, I spent about two hours cutting down a metric ass-ton of cardboard boxes for recycling that have been accumulating down in the shop. For some reason it didn't occur to me to shoot pics of that mayhem and the resulting stack of cardboard, so you'll just have to take my word for it. Trust me, it was an epic amount of cutting. And I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that cardboard is one of the hardest things on the edge and finish of your knife that you're regularly going to cut (on account of all the little particles of grit in it). As you can see from this first pic, the knife is already pretty filthy from all that. While I was dragging all of that stuff to the curb, UPS delivered my ginormous Pelican case, so of course I proceeded to slash that box up as well. That was when it finally occurred to me to break out the camera. Testing here to see what penetration is like through a solid stack of cardboard. No tape or glue, the pieces are just laying on top of one another, loose. Third stab.

AKcolubristest1.jpg

Third stab, from the side. Imagine if this were meat.

AKcolubristest2.jpg

Nasty wound channel. There's a pic here in my forum somewhere where we rammed the prototype through a door. Big, triangular holes. And check out that filth all over the blade.

AKcolubristest3.jpg

Stab and side pull test. Pressure treated 2x4. Passed with flying colors. Tip still intact.

AKcolubristest4.jpg

Wanted to see how it slashed, so back at an un-deconstructed, heavy duty double wall box (hey, gotta keep some biggies around for shipping the really BIG stuff!). That's a 12" slash from me just taking a half-assed whack at it. Ergos and geometry make the tip really bite in. It's pretty scary.

AKcolubristest5.jpg

Once you start, you just can't stop. Want some proof that these knives are mean little bastards? Here you go.

AKcolubristest6.jpg

Double wall nasty.

AKcolubristest7.jpg

On to testing feathering capabilities on my 2x4 spinewhack block. Feathers nicely with very little effort. Of course, it'll feather sticks too.

AKcolubristest8.jpg

I was too lazy at this point to walk into the other room for some packing peanuts, so I just slashed off a hunk of styrofoam insulation, and shaved it. Yup, she's still sharp. And filthy.

AKcolubristest9.jpg

The flipside of filth.

AKcolubristest10.jpg

Now it was time to see how she cleaned up. Is the finish all cocked up? Let's see... Here it is after about a 60 second scrub-a-dub with paper towel and acetone.

AKcolubristest11.jpg

And the other side...

AKcolubristest12.jpg

A little more scribbity-scrub, and here she is, factory fresh and good to go! Not a single damn mark on her.

AKcolubristest13.jpg

And on top of the mayhem, so you know I'm not bullshitting. DLC coating is the bomb, and so is CPM S35VN!!! Glad I picked that steel for all of these knives.

AKcolubristest14.jpg

AAAAAAAHHHHHHH STOP TEMPTING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks great ! I am now sure this is the perfect knife for me.Now I just need the money!

Thanks so much, guys. Glad you dig these.

Back