combat knife throwing... I'm not kidding you

Glad to have amused you ! :rolleyes:

You should understand that some folks think traditionals are totally outmoded and ridiculous . :p

Oh, the MMA vs No Touch Fu stuff.
Puhlease.
There is a great deal of wisdom in the traditional arts. Real traditional arts come from real combat and self defence, whatever passes for them today.
In most of the internal arts there is good reason to believe very few can actually fight with it today. But the originators and early practitioners certainly did. Traditional Judo and Jui Jitsu ( traditionally taught together), Japanese and Okinawan Karate, Tae Kwon Do (ITF) and Royal Court Hapkido/Kuk Sool Won where you don't just train in forms but you have full contact sparring are very much for real, and associated with each style are weapons techniques and styles which preserve the techniques of how they actually fought for real. They use all sorts of primitive weapons. I wouldn't scoff at a japanese Iado sword expert or any of the many Philipine stylists who can turn sticks into deadly weapons, hit you twice and go home for lunch before you blink. Modern military styles like Israel's and Russia's are obviously designed to be effective, and they are often adaptations of traditional techniques. If you met any of the masters, you wouldn't scoff.

There are many real experts in all sorts of primitive weapons and knife fighting in the world's militaries as everyone knows. No doubt we have some members who fit the bill. I ain't one and I don't play one on the internet. But there is nothing wrong whatever in being interested in it and training in it. I used to love knife throwing and even axe throwing. I could usually hit and kill small game with a good rock. That doesn't make me a ninja.

Throwing a good knife is rough on the knife. That's why G-d invented throwing knives.

Oh, the MMA vs No Touch Fu stuff.
Puhlease.
There is a great deal of wisdom in the traditional arts. Real traditional arts come from real combat and self defence, whatever passes for them today.
In most of the internal arts there is good reason to believe very few can actually fight with it today. But the originators and early practitioners certainly did. Traditional Judo and Jui Jitsu ( traditionally taught together), Japanese and Okinawan Karate, Tae Kwon Do (ITF) and Royal Court Hapkido/Kuk Sool Won where you don't just train in forms but you have full contact sparring are very much for real, and associated with each style are weapons techniques and styles which preserve the techniques of how they actually fought for real. They use all sorts of primitive weapons. I wouldn't scoff at a japanese Iado sword expert or any of the many Philipine stylists who can turn sticks into deadly weapons, hit you twice and go home for lunch before you blink. Modern military styles like Israel's and Russia's are obviously designed to be effective, and they are often adaptations of traditional techniques. If you met any of the masters, you wouldn't scoff.

There are many real experts in all sorts of primitive weapons and knife fighting in the world's militaries as everyone knows. No doubt we have some members who fit the bill. I ain't one and I don't play one on the internet. But there is nothing wrong whatever in being interested in it and training in it. I used to love knife throwing and even axe throwing. I could usually hit and kill small game with a good rock. That doesn't make me a ninja.

Throwing a good knife is rough on the knife. That's why G-d invented throwing knives.
:) I agree essentially with everything you say here . I wasn't referring to traditional MA at all .

Just a return dig at post that was poking fun at this thread in general , which I thought was rude . :mad:

Reactions: HJK
:) I agree essentially with everything you say here . I wasn't referring to traditional MA at all .

Just a return dig at post that was poking fun at this thread in general , which I thought was rude . :mad:
I said no offense. Its easy to take things wrong on the interwebs here, relax buddy.
I just meant that I had fun reading the thread.

I said no offense.
This is no excuse , my friend .

What if I say you are total a-hole , he he he , just kidding . ;)

So then it's OK ? Hint = no it's NOT !

Rude is rude , an insult is an insult . Either own it or apologize .

Hopefully develop some manners .

This is not your area of interest , you don't understand it at all , have a little respect .

This is no excuse , my friend .

What if I say you are total a-hole , he he he , just kidding . ;)

So then it's OK ? Hint = no it's NOT !

Rude is rude , an insult is an insult . Either own it or apologize .

Hopefully develop some manners .

This is not your area of interest , you don't understand it at all , have a little respect .
Quite the short fuse on you eh?

Quite the short fuse on you eh?
:oops: Maybe so , but you should perhaps be aware that many others have a far shorter fuse and could explode with much worse than a mild verbal rebuke . o_O At least in person . :rolleyes:

Of course , this is the age of the internet . Little or no serious response is even possible . So , what does it matter ? :confused:

I'm from a time long before the internet , most serious social dealings were face to face . The potential physical cost of an insult was real and immediate .

People tended to either learn to be more polite ,especially in dangerous company, or paid the price . :eek::poop:

Now I guess it doesn't matter . But I'm not sure we're better off for the change . Rudeness with no consequences . :(

:oops: Maybe so , but you should perhaps be aware that many others have a far shorter fuse and could explode with much worse than a mild verbal rebuke . o_O At least in person . :rolleyes:

Of course , this is the age of the internet . Little or no serious response is even possible . So , what does it matter ? :confused:

I'm from a time long before the internet , most serious social dealings were face to face . The potential physical cost of an insult was real and immediate .

People tended to either learn to be more polite ,especially in dangerous company, or paid the price . :eek::poop:

Now I guess it doesn't matter . But I'm not sure we're better off for the change . Rudeness with no consequences . :(
Well ok then, Im not so sure the world would be better off with people flying off the handle and going straight to violence over minor misunderstandings but youre entitled to your opinion... o_O Anyway, I didnt mean anything by my comments. I should have re read to make sure they were "internet proof" since its easy to get offended online. I was having a rough week, and was seriously just enjoying a thread that was fun and different instead of the "same old same old" threads. :)

Well ok then, Im not so sure the world would be better off with people flying off the handle and going straight to violence over minor misunderstandings but youre entitled to your opinion... o_O Anyway, I didnt mean anything by my comments. I should have re read to make sure they were "internet proof" since its easy to get offended online. I was having a rough week, and was seriously just enjoying a thread that was fun and different instead of the "same old same old" threads. :)
Blow it off and excuse yourself all you like , but if this kind of martial arts were a serious concern for you personally , instead of a joke and a curiosity , you might find it less deserving of ridicule .

I just reread your post and I still find it offensive and insulting . Superior , judgmental , and condescending . Lacking any real knowledge , experience or insight .

Have a nice day ! Act as seems proper to you , that's all anyone can rightly expect .

Blow it off and excuse yourself all you like , but if this kind of martial arts were a serious concern for you personally , instead of a joke and a curiosity , you might find it less deserving of ridicule .

I just reread your post and I still find it offensive and insulting . Superior , judgmental , and condescending . Lacking any real knowledge , experience or insight .

Have a nice day ! Act as seems proper to you , that's all anyone can rightly expect .
Okey dokey then... o_O well I cant help you with your thin skin bud. You didnt have to re read it if I triggered you, you could just move on... just saying. Also, I told you I didnt mean anything by it. I apologized as well. I made 2 posts to make you feel better, and you still were a jerk.
Also, throwing things is not a martial art. I should know, since like you, I am also an internet tough guy. Not only am I a navy seal but I was also trained by monks who showed me the way of the lightsaber. I lift 500 pounds, taught Joe Frazier how to box and at night I patrol Gotham city for evildoers in my batmobile. So dont accuse me of not taking martial arts seriously, since I am a 17th degree pink belt in 46 different martial arts.
So please refrain from being mildly threatening in your posts. You may imply that youd punch me in person or whatever you were trying to say Mr. "Dangerous Company", but obviously that would be a mistake. :D
You think someone was rude so you go straight to veiled internet threatening and name calling? Grow some thicker skin. If you cared so much about your "throwing random objects at folks fu" wouldnt you want to introduce people to it by the way? Instead of melting down, you could have showed me the error of my ways. Instead, you decided that I had dishonored your ninjitsu, when I didnt.
Sorry, next time Ill remember to adress you with the proper respect due an internet badass. Sorry sensei, my deepest apologies.o_O
P.S. You know what I am judging you for though? Bad puncuation.

Last edited:
Okey dokey then... o_O well I cant help you with your thin skin bud. You didnt have to re read it if I triggered you, you could just move on... just saying. Also, I told you I didnt mean anything by it. I apologized as well. I made 2 posts to make you feel better, and you still were a jerk.
Also, throwing things is not a martial art. I should know, since like you, I am also an internet tough guy. Not only am I a navy seal but I was also trained by monks who showed me the way of the lightsaber. I lift 500 pounds, taught Joe Frazier how to box and at night I patrol Gotham city for evildoers in my batmobile. So dont accuse me of not taking martial arts seriously, since I am a 17th degree pink belt in 46 different martial arts.
So please refrain from being mildly threatening in your posts. You may imply that youd punch me in person or whatever you were trying to say Mr. "Dangerous Company", but obviously that would be a mistake. :D
You think someone was rude so you go straight to veiled internet threatening and name calling? Grow some thicker skin. If you cared so much about your "throwing random objects at folks fu" wouldnt you want to introduce people to it by the way? Instead of melting down, you could have showed me the error of my ways. Instead, you decided that I had dishonored your ninjitsu, when I didnt.
Sorry, next time Ill remember to adress you with the proper respect due an internet badass. Sorry sensei, my deepest apologies.o_O
P.S. You know what I am judging you for though? Bad puncuation.
:rolleyes:>>>:p Good luck to you with that attitude .

Thanks Bobby. The mention of screwdrivers is interesting because I like to throw those. If anyone is interested in seeing me in person and happens to be in the Detroit area we will be there doing a seminar this Sunday.

The wife has been pestering me to get back down to Charleston someday, it's a very pleasant place to visit...
When I would bust a knuckle working on the old Bronco back in the day I would tend to throw whatever tool was in my hand. The walls of the barn had many wrenches stuck in them.

Very interesting thread! A product of my profession is that I look at my surroundings and wonder if something happened, what tools do I have available and how would I use them?

Interesting thread. Personally, I've taken the scales off of my Ka-Bar BK-2 and Ontario Rat 7 to test throw, and I can stick them fairly accurately and consistently from 10-15 feet (even if they don't stick, they hit point first and would certainly stick in a person). I'm essentially self taught and starting practicing throwing maybe 3 or 4 months ago, so it's not an especially hard thing to do in my opinion. Trying to do it in a "combat" situation however is a completely different thing; it's difficult to envision a scenario where I would throw a combat knife even in combat.

Interesting thread. Personally, I've taken the scales off of my Ka-Bar BK-2 and Ontario Rat 7 to test throw, and I can stick them fairly accurately and consistently from 10-15 feet (even if they don't stick, they hit point first and would certainly stick in a person). I'm essentially self taught and starting practicing throwing maybe 3 or 4 months ago, so it's not an especially hard thing to do in my opinion. Trying to do it in a "combat" situation however is a completely different thing; it's difficult to envision a scenario where I would throw a combat knife even in combat.
To actually use this in SD/ fighting would be something I'd consider to be a last ditch , desperation , nothing left to lose , sort of move .

I view it as mostly a distraction to buy space and time to either escape or move in closer to finish .

You might get very lucky and end the fight by throwing , but I certainly would never count on that happening outside of Hollywood productions .

On the other hand , I feel that throwing is valid for combat and could make a critical difference in outcome . :cool::thumbsup:

I'm just discovering knife (and axe) throwing, I had to have some trees taken down and asked the crew doing it to cut some stump rounds for me.
I guess accidentally or instinctively after trying the "spin" method was impossible for me to throw full force with, I started (using 'proper' throwing knives) using an overhand throw as hard as I could and it's a lot easier for me, plus I am sinking the knives several inches and not missing far enough that I have to go looking for knives.
My next step is to keep an eye on the secondary market for the knife I pack carry most, a Gerber LMF (something like that) which is a $80 ( that's brand new...)or KaBar that I don't feel bad abusing.
Something tells me that any locking mechanism is going to fail if I try this with an EDC folder. Anyone know different? I mean I am not going to test this out on a $500 folder, and guessing it wouldn't matter how strong the lock is...

Should I just go for it and start whipping Hinderers and Striders at my stumps? That's covered under warranty right🙄

EDC folder
I wouldn't throw any folder that you can't accept breaking .

I cheat by layering up cardboard over my target . Thick , multiple layers .

I avoid throwing multiple folders close together on a target to prevent knife on knife damage .

For folders , I mostly throw Cold Steel with Tri-ad locks .

No breakage , using the cardboard , but the pivots tend to loosen .

Very amusing thread. Knife and axe throwing is very entertaining and athletic - and it does work as meditative time too. However I am skeptical that it is useful in real life conflicts. That said, I did practice it many years ago as a kid, to the extent that I astonished my brother when I hit a running mouse at a distance of 17 feet across my patio with a thrown screwdriver. Never practiced with a screwdriver though. Just knives. Wish I had that on video!

I just read an interesting thread and thought I'd follow it up with this one.

I have studied "no spin" knife throwing for several years and, while I'm not excellent at it, I must say it has imparted a few nuggets of wisdom. For one, I don't carry a gun, and second I don't carry throwing knives. But I am learning (and teaching, whenever I hold a "class") to use objects around me as missiles whenever the need arises. Whatever I can pick up and throw works.

I had a teacher who, when we trained in the desert, would throw sand at us whenever he'd get low enough to grab some. Heaven forbid he got lucky and grabbed a rock instead. It was inevitable that he'd do this if he had the chance, because he didn't have a reason not to - if it didn't buy him an advantage at least it didn't slow him down. And he learned how to do this from his teacher, who made him throw spikes for hours on end. To him, shurikenjutsu used specific tools (knives and spikes mostly) to teach distance control, timing, and how to combine combat movement with evasion and advancement.

So here's why I started this thread... I want to know your opinions on "combat throwing," whether it's a knife or a screwdriver or a coffee mug. Have you ever thrown something at someone as a distraction or simply on impulse only to find that you gained a usable advantage by doing so? And what objects would you want to have handy in case you wanted to throw something deliberately? Please, no "I'd just pull out my Desert Eagle" comments, because that isn't the point at hand.
I've actually just recently taken an interest in the idea of combat knife throwing too using no spin. I think it actually had a very solid place in combat, particularly in guerilla warfare where you use it preceding the next strike, using it more to distract them whilst you sock them in the face, or run away.

Have read thru quite a few responses (love the thread) first thing that comes to mind would be the potential repercussion's.. ie.. courts.. and how LEO might see the throw. an edged piece of steel is a weapon, you carry that MAY come back to haunt you depending on the situation that caused one to throw "In self defense" in the first place.... from a legal standpoint (and I'm no lawyer, cop or judge) throwing an edged blade COULD be used against you, especially if you carry with self defense in mind, now add "Trained" or "Practiced", court opinion may change... throw a salt shaker, fork, spoon, desk, dinner plate, spare tire, hand full of driveway stone, the neighbors cat or whatever in self defense.... I believe would improve your "self defense" position.... personally not sure I would send a bladed weapon unless it was a last ditch effort... never been in that position so I can't say for sure... but I love throwing knives and have bags of busted blades... Sundays are reserved for "garage" day.. and many a tool and or motorcycle part has been loosed in frustration with pretty good accuracy, I would not want to be on the receiving end.

I’ve mostly done single spin throws with a fair degree of success.

“No-spin” on the other hand is much trickier for me.

I’ve finally got some sticks on a slanted stump but the angles are usually crazy. Will keep working on it…
613DF1EB-C1DC-46FA-8A0C-C0A1DECD2259.jpeg
45C1450F-C8FD-4987-B61F-BE56545E5694.jpeg

Back