Comfortable Shoes for everyday wear - Recommendations !

What are your recommendations for comfortable shoes for everyday wear.

I was interested in Justin wellingtons,but I have a feeling those won't be great for running or sprinting if need be.

Right now. I'm looking for something that I can wear mostly all day, leather, may see some dirt trails, and concrete.

I just walked 2 miles in work boots, my feet are in pain lol

:)

depends alot on your feet, myself I try to wear my Reef flip flop sandals as much as possible, and I can walk 4 miles in them with no problem.
Otherwise I really like Merrell Bare Access 3 or Bare Access Trail or similar. very roomy toe box and near zero drop heel.
In other words I try to go as close to barefoot natural as possible.

What are your recommendations for comfortable shoes for everyday wear.

I just walked 2 miles in work boots, my feet are in pain lol

:)

Might be time to seriously consider seeing a foot doctor about some prescription inserts. Best thing I have ever done. Makes any shoes comfortable.

Keens. I started wearing them about 5 yrs ago and wont wear anything else. I can wear them all day without any problems.--KV

Foot comfort is a very personal thing and what works for me and the next guy may not work for you. That being said what I find works best for me are 6"ish leather upper lace up boots with rubber or composite soles, Superfeet insoles (Green or Orange) and quality wool socks. Chippewa Service Boots, LL Bean Katahdin, Frye Dakota and Red Wing Iron Rangers are among the boots I am referring to. They allow me to go from office to field and everything in between with good support and traction all while being dressier than work boots. I used to wear crepe or rubber soled cowboy boots similar to the Justin Wellington you mentioned but they just don't provide the support that lace up boots can. I also experimented with Merrell, Keen, Timberland, Ecco and similar footwear for everyday wear and found them all very comfortable but not as durable and not as supportive as I like.

If I could get away with wearing whatever I want everyday I would likely rotate some of my broken in Meindl, Kenetrek and Danner boots. My son would wear Birkenstocks everywhere if he could get away with it and I will admit I have a pair that I wear as slippers around the house.

Last edited:
I recently switched to Merrell Chameleon Prime Stretch and Darn Tough socks - my feet have never been happier with me.

I recently switched to Merrell Chameleon Prime Stretch and Darn Tough socks - my feet have never been happier with me.

The Chameleon is my favorite Merrell trail shoe and I can't comment on the newer ones but the earlier Vibram sole versions were pretty long wearing. Darn Tough makes a great sock. :thumbup:

The Chameleon is my favorite Merrell trail shoe and I can't comment on the newer ones but the earlier Vibram sole versions were pretty long wearing. Darn Tough makes a great sock. :thumbup:

the merrell chameleon has very good reviews, I'll look into them also.
I typically wear Wool socks by kirkland :thumbup:
very comfortable.

Ecco. Wore one pair 5 days a week when I owned a coffee cart business, on my feet almost all day. Extremely comfortable, waterproof, breathable. Great shoes and boots.

With the snow gone all I wear are Walmart black rubber flip flops. They are comfortable, provide good support and last. They must made of truck tire material as they can take a beating walking bush trails, swamps, working in the garden, hunting, cutting wood etc. Everything and only about $10. I have 3 pairs, at least 2 pairs are more than 3 years old.

There are a lot of "hiking shoes" from the big outdoor boot makers. Many offer Vibram soles and are extremely durable, light, and comfortable.

My first choice is Keen. I have two pairs, one for the shop and another for around town. They last and are comfortable.

I was a vans guy, still have like 10 pairs.
Once I wore vivobarefoot shoes, I got hooked.

I could probably buy 5 pairs of vans with 1 pair of vivos, but the vivos last fairly long, and are COMFORTABLE!!!

I have the neotrail. About to order trail freak as well, made for trails, great for everyday walking. I wear them to work and stand 12 to 14 hours no problem.

Rockports are what I wear most of the time for comfort, other than serious hiking. But just fine for walks, short hikes, and so forth.

Ecco. Wore one pair 5 days a week when I owned a coffee cart business, on my feet almost all day. Extremely comfortable, waterproof, breathable. Great shoes and boots.

oh yeah, I like Ecco as well, I used my Ecco slip ons as my travel shoes in various countries, solid performer.

this looks nice and comfortable
called the Hoka one one Rap Nui 2 "Maximilist" :)
on Rei

I'm considering it for my morning walks, need to lose some pounds
I've acquired over winter.

It depends on you foot. I use to wear hiking sneakers, running sneaker, etc. Always feel too tight around the ball of my foot. Turns out I need EE width, and I had been buy longer size to compensate. You shoe size change as you age, so get meaured. A lot of sneakers run narrow, so Keen or Ecco is very comfortable due to wider toe box. I love my Danner Mountain Light boots. It's comfortable and can be resoled.

I've had foot pain for the last 10 years, and I have a closet full of $100-150 pairs of shoes. One problem is that I have duck feet. I'm size 8 1/2 EEEE.
For wide feet, avoid the Ecco's. They don't make 'em wide. Merrils's; to wide of a toe box. Keen; too heavy. Tried them all, wore them all, put them on Ebay.

For me it's been Brooks, Clarks, and Rockport, but everyone is different. One thing I can heartily recommend: Go to a quality, brick and mortar, shoe store. One of those that's family owned and been around for 50-75 years. And be prepared to open the wallet. Those puppies will appreciate a good pair if skids.

And if you break it down to cost per day, it's really pretty cheap.

I've had foot pain for the last 10 years, and I have a closet full of $100-150 pairs of shoes. One problem is that I have duck feet. I'm size 8 1/2 EEEE.
For wide feet, avoid the Ecco's. They don't make 'em wide. Merrils's; to wide of a toe box. Keen; too heavy. Tried them all, wore them all, put them on Ebay.

For me it's been Brooks, Clarks, and Rockport, but everyone is different. One thing I can heartily recommend: Go to a quality, brick and mortar, shoe store. One of those that's family owned and been around for 50-75 years. And be prepared to open the wallet. Those puppies will appreciate a good pair if skids.

And if you break it down to cost per day, it's really pretty cheap.
I too wear Brooks. I've had a pair for about 4 years now that I mostly work out it, but I'll throw them on if I know I'll be walking a lot. I believe they're the Beast model and work perfectly with the width of my foot and my "collapsing arch", which saves my feet and (more importantly) my knees. That being said I've forgotten to bring them on a few outings and I recently walked 7 miles in a day wearing a pair of Justin boots. It wasn't pleasant, but I've experienced worse in less distance. Unfortunately, feet are so different from person to person that you can only get an idea of a few good brands then go try them out. As others have said, what works for you probably isn't the same as what works best for the next guy. But if you're looking for a good brand of athletic shoe, Brooks really has a good selection and they probably have a shoe that would work well for you.

Back