Coming this Spring - KA-BAR Becker BK40 Folder

I dont think the hardware would be of any concern. Plenty of chinese knives out there without hardware issues. Id say some items made in america, they dont pay attention to every component. Building something at home, you may go to home depot for some material and chances are some of that is going to be made in china.
:), Your probably right :thumbsup: So much stuff is made in China today it’s impossible to avoid it :thumbsup: I’ll keep trying ;)

Does anyone know if Becker would consider doing a USA made version if this Chinese version does well in sales?

I doubt kabar is going to produce any folders stateside. They arent set up for it and i think it would cost them too much to set it up.

They presumably have good working relationships in china and taiwan and would have to move enough production stateside to cover the cost. But then theyd have to charge more.... i could keep going but its a rabbit hole.

Their aus8 is alright....been using their dozier folders for over a decade....as long as it's the same Japanese aus8 and not China pot metal aus8 it will be good
Price is right and at least they have not dropped into total garbage cold steels bargain steel....4034? Give me a break
I will pick one up for sure

Did these ever make it through the Suez?

I heard something was happening....was that a thing?

We can barely contain ourselves.....

So, it will be one of the best Walmart folders?
If I buy one, it will go in the bottom of my edc dump drawer, right next to my Ontario Rat 1. Perfect knives to be used rough, loaned and maybe even lost.
Thanks, KaBar, I guess.

Obviously everyone has their own issues on this knife. Things I can say with confidence are: I have an original Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto made of AUS 8 & made somewhere other than the USA. I have abused that knife more than any other folder I have, for more than 20 years. It has not broke, chipped or failed. I have also batoned with it on 2 occasions. It loosened up but was quickly fixed with a micro Torx driver to tighten up the screws. It has been lightly sharpened many times & still shaves hair easily. Not sure what more you could ask for. I get the whole Made in the USA thing, trust me. But I also know it would probably add $100 or more to the price. Many people simply won't spend that much on a folder. $35 or less is a great price point for many people & they won't cry if they lose it either. I'm in for 1.

Beckerhead #103

Did Ethan design this knife?

I think about that Alot.
With the Brand, it's easy to look to Ethan, because he's so close.... But in reality, with Ka-Bar being large, lots of input is coming from multiple people.

And what's the definition of "Design"

Is Ethan sitting at a desk, laying out Exact dimensions in CAD..... Or are His sketches drawn up on a napkin over a few drinks in a dive bar? Or maybe he's not involved at all? We may never know.....
I bet every knife has its stories.

*Personal Question......
Does he have any kids to carry on his Knife Prowess Mojo?
I wonder about That too?.....I'm up for adoption.

E's son & daughter in law have taken up the mantle of "the joy of cooking" - I am not aware of any inclinations towards designing outdoor gear/knives on either of their parts.

If Ethan's name is on a product he is intimately involved and familiar with it. He was very involved in this project, and while true he is not sitting at a desk designing on CAD, he works very closely with those that do. Ethan tested the folder out several times during development and has really liked it. I talk to Ethan 2-3 times every week for probably 3 hours a week and he is very involved in KA-BAR and Becker Knife & Tool, though he may not be as involved on Bladeforums as he used to be. Part of that is the rural area in Montana he now lives in and limited Internet access. He is really enjoying himself and is loving life - Montana really suits him. He has told me several times he wants to get back on BF, but he has kept himself so busy I think the virtual world tends to take a backseat for him.

If Ethan's name is on a product he is intimately involved and familiar with it. He was very involved in this project, and while true he is not sitting at a desk designing on CAD, he works very closely with those that do. Ethan tested the folder out several times during development and has really liked it. I talk to Ethan 2-3 times every week for probably 3 hours a week and he is very involved in KA-BAR and Becker Knife & Tool, though he may not be as involved on Bladeforums as he used to be. Part of that is the rural area in Montana he now lives in and limited Internet access. He is really enjoying himself and is loving life - Montana really suits him. He has told me several times he wants to get back on BF, but he has kept himself so busy I think the virtual world tends to take a backseat for him.

Thanks a lot for this! A lot of us have the utmost respect for ethans designs and opinions. Thanks again

Back