Coming up with some ideas for an EDC/hiking design

silenthunterstudios

Slipjoint Addict
Platinum Member
I am looking for some ideas on a custom EDC/hiking design. I have been using my UNK alot for different tasks while hobbling around at home, and really like it, but wanted something a little bigger. Looking at about a 3.25" spear point blade, probably go with 154CM or A2. I have big paws, so about a 4 1/4" handle. This knife will serve as a small belt knife on hikes. I was thinking a modified PSK, or mini spear point Tusker. Probably about an 1/8" thick, not sure about that yet. Batoning is a possiblity, but mostly this will serve a couple of duties, including fishing, cutting bait, cord, maybe cutting up a lunch. Won't be a hard use knife, but I know that any of Scott's blades are performers. No, this won't be a prybar.

Looking on Scotts site, I am contemplating a meld of the Polaris, spearpoint Tusker and PSK blades. A wider, shorter, Polaris?

Last edited:
As I read your post, I started thinking, "what about a short Polaris?" looks like you got there on your own.

Not to talk you out of a new knife, but Scott's UNK is an outstanding daily carry blade.

As I read your post, I started thinking, "what about a short Polaris?" looks like you got there on your own.

Not to talk you out of a new knife, but Scott's UNK is an outstanding daily carry blade.

It sure is. I really like mine, and the Skookum style sheath he made for it is great for tossing it in a pocket or just carrying around the neck. I also have a micro Kephart that sees a lot of use and a PSK that I am gifting to a family friend. I am not wanting for small EDC type work knives :D. Just have the "affliction", at least I'm having a good time. Yep, I think a shortened Polaris might be the ticket.

Back