Commander/CQC7b: right handed into Left handed

Hey Everybody,

Before I get too far into this, I want to start by saying that I respect the fact that you are all blade nuts, many with much more experience than I have. Many of you could probably perform this modification with a hand drill and marking pencil, but I, for one, could not. Since I'm fortunate enough to have a full machine shop at my disposal, I submit the following to you...

I spent yesterday using the Bridgeport Mill and tap set to switch my
CQC7b and Mini Commander from a right handed set up (cheap & available) to a left handed set up (not so cheap or available).
The Liners were much easier to machine than I thought (Gotta love Carbide drills)
Anyhow, if anyone needs their clip flipped, I'd be happy to do it..As far as I can tell, I could put the clip anywhere you might want it.
Email me if you're interested in trading or paying for the service.
I'll send you pics so you can see that it's not a hack job.

hikingboy@yahoo.com

-Andrew

So are you saying that you made new liners and made it into a lefthanded knife? Or are you saying that you drilled and tapped to put the clip on the opposite side?

Sorry for the confusion.

I Drilled and tapped the other side of the knife. (not too hard, if you've got the tools, I know).
Basically, I took the knives apart, Used an optical coordinate measurement system to figure out the hole pattern, then made a fixture for the mill so I could drill and tap the liners on the other side. Then, I drilled the G10 in essentially the same manner, making sure the holes lined up.

I've ordered some black set screws for the now vacant right side holes. For cosmetic purposes.

Anyhow, I thought it might be worth a case of beer or something like that to someone.

In case you want to do it yourself here's the measurements: from the CQB7b ( it was slightly different on the Commander)

Hole Pattern:
|
H
|
|
O----X-----I-----Y-----0

X=.168
Y=.168
H=.075
Distances are center to center

I'll send pics soon.
-Andrew

i am interested in doing the "conversion". can you tell me where i can get the black coated screws, the drill bit size and the tap size and where i can find parts that small.
thanks in advance:)

Get a 2-56 Tap, and a #50 drill for the liners.
I used a #43 drill for the G-10.
As far as screws, you can re-use the ones you have, or order them from Emerson, I believe.
For black set screws to fill the vacant holes, try McMaster Carr Inc.

Best of luck,

Andrew

THANK YOU!!!
i have been wanting to make the conversion for a while now.
i purchased a left hand, "custom" mini-commander and after comparing it to the right handed model, i believe i could work the lock with no problem on the right handed model with the clip reversed, while saving LOTS of money not having emerson build it(not to mention the wait).

Thank you so much! I'm in the same boat as waynejitsu (awesome username by the way lol) was in 2003... crazy that was 18 years ago.
Today, in 2021, I always end up carrying an Emerson in each of my right side pockets in 5.11 tactical pants because I don't have and can't afford any lefty models... so this is a blessing for me. Especially as a granite guy with no real knowledge of metal work! So God bless you my friend! šŸ»šŸ»

Back