Recommendation? Commercial Sharpener

The channel REK referred to, are mostly the smaller 1x30 belt sanders being modified with variable speed motors, for probably under $300. There’s also a Viel 1x42 belt sander with a similar mod, for under $500. Not sure why you’re thinking 2x72? (I also don’t see where the OP said he’s using it in the kitchen... just on kitchen knives?)

I missed the post where the OP said he already owned a 1x42” sander... all he wants is a variable speed motor for it. That’s the route I’d research... and REK’s YT link may help in that area. (I suspect if the OP is running a commercial sharpening business... it’ll involve more than “normal everyday sharpening tasks”)... ;). I’ve found most who use a Tormek for commercial sharpening usually end up combining it with either paper wheels or a belt sander to get the job done.

I had re-read the OP and edited my response before you posted, as far as the kitchen use assumption.

I would imagine a commercial sharpener would see many abused knives. I do some favors for neighbors. And I use an 80 grit belt for bulk removal on those that are in very bad shape. Then 180 grit paper wheel to paper polishing wheel. The belt will save you lots of time when your dealing with abused knives.

Right on Curtis! I'm just saying if it were me I would go with a variable speed 1x42 or 1x30 personally. Tormek would be way too slow for me to consider. But since I have a dedicated shop I have a water cooled 2x72 and that thing is a hoss!

Unfortunately, the T2 is not designed for commercial sharpening. (That's a quote direct from Tormek - Stig was their representative). Also, I did some testing with one... it's pretty limited on the type/style of knives it will do ( you can find more info in the thread I linked to).

Unless it's a really good deal, I'd avoid the T-3. It's rated to be used only 1/2 hour at a time (can get too hot), and had some other issues, which is why it was replaced with the T-4. (I think the pen stuff is actually for making pens... has nothing to do with the Tormek).

For commercial sharpening, the larger models... T-8 or even the older T-7 or Supergrind 2000 if in good condition, would be my recommendation. (And consider keeping at least 1 Tru-Hone... it can be great for finishing the edge). If you're only doing 10-12 knives a day... should be OK. Also, if you're buying used... make sure it comes with the jigs you'll need and use... if you have to buy them separately, that would add up fast. At a minimum... I'd get the Stone Grader, Truing Tool, and of course the 2 knife jigs. And of course it should still have a decent grinding wheel, USB bar, etc. You can find good used ones, just pay attention to the details when comparing.

But I also wouldn't dismiss bgentry's idea of a decent belt sander. ;) (Oh, and p.s. a Speed Controller used on a motor not designed for it will burn it out... just search "speed control" in this forum, and read some of the threads).

Excellent information. I do have a Kalamazoo 1x42 vertical belt grinder, however it produces a convex edge and doesn't come with a jig. Are there any simple mods that you know of? Thanks for your response.

The channel REK referred to, are mostly the smaller 1x30 belt sanders being modified with variable speed motors, for probably under $300. There’s also a Viel 1x42 belt sander with a similar mod, for under $500. Not sure why you’re thinking 2x72? (I also don’t see where the OP said he’s using it in the kitchen... just on kitchen knives?)

I missed the post where the OP said he already owned a 1x42” sander... all he wants is a variable speed motor for it. That’s the route I’d research... and REK’s YT link may help in that area. (I suspect if the OP is running a commercial sharpening business... it’ll involve more than “normal everyday sharpening tasks”)... ;). I’ve found most who use a Tormek for commercial sharpening usually end up combining it with either paper wheels or a belt sander to get the job done.

You bring up some great points. I am hoping to get more info from those who own the kalamazoo 1x42 vertical belt grinder. I really liked the modified 1x42 sander that someone posted, however I am not that handy but I can handle simple bold-ons and some drilling. Thanks for your response.

View attachment 1060550 I mounted my Rockwell 1X42 on a tilt table. It’s set at 10 degrees off vertical. I point the edge at the center of the earth and sharpen on the platen. To sharpen the other side of the edge, I walk to the other side of the contraption. Convex edges can be done on the slack belt between the top of the platen and the spring loaded upper pulley arm. Stropping can be done on the insides of the cloth belts. Fresh belts and a pail of water keep the edges from burning. I use a contact wheel for the drive (lower) pulley. It is handy for reshaping contours and blending adjacent surfaces. I notched out the base plate to get better access to the contact wheel.
We like to call the powered sharpener “the handle maker”.
Great looking setup. Thank you for sharing.

Question?
What knife sharpener would someone recommend for someone with shaky hands? May seem like a simple answer to most. A version in which the knife is clamped down. Well ive tried the lansky, dmt and the gatco. Lol no go on all these. I really think the edge pro might work as long as i could lock down the base. Wicked edge would be a no go as the direction of sharpening would make it worse for my hands. Any word of advice on this topic? Anyone else out there experience this problem?

One thing to consider that the OP didn't make clear is if he was wanting to do sharpening at home or sharpen at a commercial or customer's location. A Tormek or 1x30 (depending on knife type) is my first choice for on site sharpening and a 2x72 for sharpening in my shop.

Excellent information. I do have a Kalamazoo 1x42 vertical belt grinder, however it produces a convex edge and doesn't come with a jig. Are there any simple mods that you know of? Thanks for your response.

There's a couple of threads that talk about platen mods for the Kalamazoo...

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/kalamazoo-1sm-grinder-platen-mod.1559482/
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/kalamazoo-1sm-aftermarket-platens.1446017/

I can't recall a jig specific for one... I know some have mounted a bar in front of belt sanders, and used the Tormek knife jig on it. I'm guessing there's other options...

Out of curiosity has anyone had experience with the Chef's Choice Model 2100 COMMERCIAL Knife Sharpener?
I know electric pull-through sharpeners have a reputation for damaging and removing too much metal from knives, however that wasn't my experience with the Tru-Hone. The issue I had with that was keeping the blade perfectly centered between the wheels. It was hit or miss for me.
I have used a Chef's choice trizor on some entry level Henckels. I was pleasantly surprised on how good the results were but also saw it scratch one of the thicker knives. Wonder if the larger COMMERCIAL model would be any different?
problem w/ the tru-hones is the wheel position... one wheel is offset from the other and your edge will start in 2 different areas. Not to mention that you won't be able to maintain proper geometry on larger chef knives (the edge will get a recurve to it in front of the bolster w/ a chef's choice or truhone)

Back