Common sense knife control?

Are you in favor of any laws restricting knives?

• Nope

• In some extremely limited cases

• Yes, but I think the laws in my state/country are too restrictive

• Yes, and I generally agree with the laws in my state/country

• Yes, and I think the laws in my area should be more restrictive

Results are only viewable after voting.

scdub

Gold Member
Basic Member
Just one ask: Let’s keep the conversation limited to knives/knife-like objects, and leave firearms out of this one.

I was inspired to start this thread by a recent post by Yo Mama called “Knife discrimination” where the topic of knife laws and knife control were discussed.

I suspect that the vast majority of folks on this forum would agree that at least some states in the U.S. have too many legal restrictions on knives, but I’m curious what people think specifically about the laws around knives.

For the record, I think that generally knife restrictions are silly, however I think it’s reasonable to restrict knives in certain VERY limited circumstances. I think they probably shouldn’t be allowed in prisons or courtrooms, and given how violent our society has become I don’t think I’d argue against restrictions in at least some schools, but I can’t come up with any other restrictions I’d be in favor of at the moment.

What do you fine people think?

If you really want to hurt someone, you will find a way to:
1. strangling: with rope, electric wire, and even your own hands.
2. arson: with gasoline and a lighter.
3. simple tools like screw driver and wrench and crowbar
4. hit em with a car
5. push em off from a high place
and many many more ways.

Restricting knives just because they look and feel scary is just a false sense of security.

Whether restrictions are too tight in a particular state or not aside, I wish knife laws were crystal clear and specific.
Knife laws are often purposely left rather vague so as to give the police officer discretion in enforcement.
So, if a cop is on your case unfairly, they can then focus on any kind of knife you have as a violation, even a little keychain knife.
I want it to be specific what type of knife, what length, etc., is 100% legal.

No, I am not in favor of them. I am already allowed to carry a gun here. All knives do the same thing. A kitchen butcher knife will always we a better weapon than my folder regardless of how it opens. As far as I understand, my basic human rights in this country allow me to have weapons if I want them or feel that I need them. I agree with that.

Without veering off too much into politics, I find that, generally, banning knives disproportionately hurts the law-abiding knife user compared to the common criminal. Even if we successfully zap every bladed instrument out of existence, the bad guy will still use other tools to harm others. And then knife nuts like you and me, whose worst crimes are carrying tip up and buying overpriced discontinued items, are penalized by these bans. It’s madness.

“Well, what do you propose then?” the naysayers will holler. And I think there’s no straightforward answer to that. Probably a combination of education, good standards of living, and a good culture might do the trick. Of course I’m biased, but I sincerely doubt that mere knife control is a definitive, long-term solution for keeping everyone safe.

....I’m curious what people think specifically about the laws around knives.....

What do you fine people think?

Its been said that the knife is man's oldest tool.
and it comes as no surprise that Its long history
of negative usage has always been a source of concern.
knives?! you can't live with 'em nor can you live without 'em!
unfortunately modern life is complicated,
problems more ofthen than not
happen in highly populated areas.
this is not to say that rural backwaters
are not entirely free from similar issues.
a blanket law might seem draconian,
but folks need to feel safe
and count on the law to be protected
from stupidity and harm, intentional or otherwise.
personal responsibility is everything.
It appears that many things can go wrong
once mental health suffers.
It seems that human nature is the root problem
envy, anger, distrust, hate, fear.
the human mind is a mine field.
we think, we act and others naturally react.
it goes without saying that the majority rules.
and that is something that cannot be changed
overnight without public consensus.
I m not fond of restrictions but for as long as
I have chosen to live amongst others,
I expect the same level of sacrifice from others
so that everyone may live with peace of mind.
And no matter how romantic a notion
it would be to run off into the hills;
away from restrictions or meddlesome folk,
I suspect not eveyone is quite as equipped
or prepared to live off the grid away from
knife restrictions and the internet.

Well since the vast, vast majority of folks here are going to vote a big, fat "nope!", I'm going to come at this another angle just for the sake of thoughtful conversation. Please don't take this as a personal stance ;)

I think knife laws are silly. Does the $400 3.75" OTF or 4" balisong in my pocket cause more death and harm to the person I stick it into than an 8" $6 chef's knife I have palmed up my coat sleeve? When you are up close enough to someone to perform a very personal violent act, the style of the blade matters not.

Here is were I may say something more controversial that could get danders up: laws restricting knives make less sense than laws restricting firearms. Wait, wait, wait. Put down the NRA branded pitchfork that they sent you for signing for a $25 membership;)

What I am getting at is that knives are more useful tools. For every violent act you could perform with one you could literally do 1000 constructive things. Sure, I wouldn't want to try and build a lean to with a Frost Cutlery knock off Klingon dagger, but I COULD. Also, as I mentioned earlier, when it comes to violence blade shape and type really aren't any more deadly. A gun on the other hand is what Chef Alton Brown would call a "unitasker". It has one very important job: Stop or kill a threat. Very important task, but the likelihood of needing to perform that task is very, very small.

A knife has so many more potential functions that could solve a problem a person is HIGHLY more likely to need to address. The fully serrated Combat Troodon I have in my pocket is thought of as a back up to my carry gun and as an escape tool in a car wreck (glass breaker, edge good for fibrous material, etc). I have never needed it for a weapon, and I have never needed to extract myself from a wreck...but I did use it cut the annoying tag out of my shirt yesterday. Big, "scary", "tactical" OTF zipped through the itchy peice of fabric without managing to stab 4 nuns and shake down a Chicago hotdog vendor for "protection money". It just did the job I needed done. I dont think I would want to try and shoot the tag off my shirt...at least not when I can't see it. Always have a trusted friend do that lest your .45 230gr nicks the seam.

So, once again, I think both kinds of restrictions are silly. Card carrying lifetime permit holder here, so don't think I'm advocating for any here. I just think that of two silly things to restrict, knives are sillier.

Its been said that the knife is man's oldest tool.
and it comes as no surprise that Its long history
of negative usage has always been a source of concern.
knives?! you can't live with 'em nor can you live without 'em!
unfortunately modern life is complicated,
problems more ofthen than not
happen in highly populated areas.
this is not to say that rural backwaters
are not entirely free from similar issues.
a blanket law might seem draconian,
but folks need to feel safe
and count on the law to be protected
from stupidity and harm, intentional or otherwise.
personal responsibility is everything.
It appears that many things can go wrong
once mental health suffers.
It seems that human nature is the root problem
envy, anger, distrust, hate, fear.
the human mind is a mine field.
we think, we act and others naturally react.
it goes without saying that the majority rules.
and that is something that cannot be changed
overnight without public consensus.
I m not fond of restrictions but for as long as
I have chosen to live amongst others,
I expect the same level of sacrifice from others
so that everyone may live with peace of mind.
And no matter how romantic a notion
it would be to run off into the hills;
away from restrictions or meddlesome folk,
I suspect not eveyone is quite as equipped
or prepared to live off the grid away from
knife restrictions and the internet.
You know what they say about people choose to trade freedom for the illusion of security? They deserve neither.

Last edited:
Well since the vast, vast majority of folks here are going to vote a big, fat "nope!", I'm going to come at this another angle just for the sake of thoughtful conversation. Please don't take this as a personal stance ;)

I think knife laws are silly. Does the $400 3.75" OTF or 4" balisong in my pocket cause more death and harm to the person I stick it into than an 8" $6 chef's knife I have palmed up my coat sleeve? When you are up close enough to someone to perform a very personal violent act, the style of the blade matters not.

Here is were I may say something more controversial that could get danders up: laws restricting knives make less sense than laws restricting firearms. Wait, wait, wait. Put down the NRA branded pitchfork that they sent you for signing for a $25 membership;)

What I am getting at is that knives are more useful tools. For every violent act you could perform with one you could literally do 1000 constructive things. Sure, I wouldn't want to try and build a lean to with a Frost Cutlery knock off Klingon dagger, but I COULD. Also, as I mentioned earlier, when it comes to violence blade shape and type really aren't any more deadly. A gun on the other hand is what Chef Alton Brown would call a "unitasker". It has one very important job: Stop or kill a threat. Very important task, but the likelihood of needing to perform that task is very, very small.

A knife has so many more potential functions that could solve a problem a person is HIGHLY more likely to need to address. The fully serrated Combat Troodon I have in my pocket is thought of as a back up to my carry gun and as an escape tool in a car wreck (glass breaker, edge good for fibrous material, etc). I have never needed it for a weapon, and I have never needed to extract myself from a wreck...but I did use it cut the annoying tag out of my shirt yesterday. Big, "scary", "tactical" OTF zipped through the itchy peice of fabric without managing to stab 4 nuns and shake down a Chicago hotdog vendor for "protection money". It just did the job I needed done. I dont think I would want to try and shoot the tag off my shirt...at least not when I can't see it. Always have a trusted friend do that lest your .45 230gr nicks the seam.

So, once again, I think both kinds of restrictions are silly. Card carrying lifetime permit holder here, so don't think I'm advocating for any here. I just think that of two silly things to restrict, knives are sillier.
I was going to disagree a bit but then I thought of a piece of obsidian someone had in their car. It makes no sense to regulate knives because damn near anything can be turned into a cutting tool. And that is a good thing.

Last edited:
CT let's us carry autos that are under 1.5in.

Just...why?

Laws made to garner votes and popularity are not laws. Same can be said about alot of things recently. Ok sorry to get political, I'll cut off here.

Also, if someone finds an auto less than 1.5in let me know.

Back