Comp Finish Question

So I pulled out three old knives to show the pre-competition finish. I think they were called user or combat grade which was similar to competition finish and collectors grade was LE finished satin.

The knife in the middle was finished by me. The other two are reportedly factory user grade finish. Reportedly because I did not buy them directly from the shop.

Tkkj48x.jpg

eDkbeUH.jpg

qa922NA.jpg

JKZyDd5.jpg

I recently picked up this ASH2 with factory comp or big or whatever finish. It was factory. It has a rather large blemish but I would rather have this than coated. Worth more to me.

owrrwyD.jpg

o59QjjD.jpg

DyT5v9o.jpg
I don't remember the ASH 2 ever being sold in comp. Is that a blade show special?

I don't remember the ASH 2 ever being sold in comp. Is that a blade show special?

No clue. I asked the seller if it was factory original and the answer was yes. I know there are a few other members that have had ash2 satins from shows.

I was at Blade that the Ash2 was first offered and every one sense and I do not remember seeing one. Maybe a Custom shop satin but not a CF.

I don't believe the TGLB was ever officially offered in comp, but if you contacted the shop, you could special order it for no additional cost. It might have been the same with the ASH-2.

I don't believe the TGLB was ever officially offered in comp, but if you contacted the shop, you could special order it for no additional cost.
It was offered. My wife got me mine for Christmas that year. Best I remember they were not offered long before the option was removed. Think that was right about the time the trouble from the complainers started up and CF was only going to offered at shows.

Last edited:
Must have been very few. I snagged a couple CF TGMs then and do not remember CF ASH2s. I was not there on Friday so they may have all got gone early.

Must have been very few. I snagged a couple CF TGMs then and do not remember CF ASH2s. I was not there on Friday so they may have all got gone early.

Possibly. From the looks of it, maybe they were all black g10, as mine and the one in the thread above were. But then again mine and that one may be the same knife. Not sure if zhunter still has that one. If so then there is two identical ones.

Thinking about it now that must have been the case. The CF TGMs I got was the year before. The year the ASH 2 was offered I only scored one Swamp Rat.

I don't believe the TGLB was ever officially offered in comp, but if you contacted the shop, you could special order it for no additional cost. It might have been the same with the ASH-2.

Can't rightly remember if it was listed as CF on the BCC website or not, but I distinctly remember ordering mine old school style over the landline phone with Amy...I ordered a CF in black paper Micarta, got behind on some bills and had to sell her to a friend up in Canada. That's my "No Regrets" regret story.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Can't remember if it was listed as CF on the BCC website or not, but I distinctly remember ordering mine over the phone with Amy...I ordered a CF in black paper Micarta, got behind on some bills and had to sell her to a friend up in Canada. That's my "No Regrets" regret story.:rolleyes:

I sent Amy an email for mine. CF with Tan and Black G10. Probably the only one out there in that combo. ;)

Also, the WayBack Machine doesn't remember it being offered in CF on the Busse Combat website back when it first appeared in February 2012, or when they switched over to the new website design in 2013.

Last edited:
I sent Amy an email for mine. CF with Tan and Black G10. Probably the only one out there in that combo. ;)
Probably or two..... I remember the big discussions about the one on the walking dead. I went frame by frame a lot to make sure of the color. I know a lot of people were ordering black canvas as many thought that was the configuration used on the show.

Wow,just looking at some old pics. Was it really Christmas 2011 I got my TGLB. How the years run together.

No clue. I asked the seller if it was factory original and the answer was yes. I know there are a few other members that have had ash2 satins from shows.
May be because I am looking at it on my phone instead of a computer but in the pics the logo looks deep, like a chemical etch when a blade is stripped rather than the dark shallow factory lazer etched logo.

It must have been Christmas 2012 when I got it. I was looking at some old pics and the time stamp was oct 2010. I know I didn't have it then.Camera settings must have been off.

This thread might shed some light on why they quit offering Competition Finish even as a special order sometime during the TGLB run: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...e-experience-this-with-their-cf-blade.994755/

Back then, CF was a no-extra-cost special order, which wouldn't make a whole lot of sense if some portion were going to be sent back for some extra grinding. I suspect with the latest iteration of CF, they've put in a bit of extra work to get them to a point where they could be confident they wouldn't have the rusting issue.

Back