Recommendation? Compact fixed blade for EDC?

Blade HQ was offering a Kershaw Skyline f.b. in I think it was/is S30v . It is a black wash finish with g10 handle slabs. I have one and I thought it was a bargain. I have the mini pendleton too but I think the Kershaw is a better bargain. Now on both the sheaths aren't that great. On the CS it is a very loose fit at least on the one I own, the Kershaw a bit better fit but still was to loose for my satisfaction. So I cut a foam ear plug in half and stuffed it in the bottom of the sheaths so the knives won't rattle around. Both fit in my pocket but truth be told I don't carry them that much at all. keepem sharp

I have and carry a Manly Patriot a lot and think that it is great the sheath fits every pocket that I have put in very well and is very secure it does have a bit of a finger choil and that has jimping. I am very mindful of just were my hand that blade is every time that I have a knife in hand lessons learned I guess. A lot of great choices but I think that it is hard to beat the Patriot!

I just got Boker GoBag as a gift so that settles it... I was telling someone my frustration with not knowing what to choose, and they advised me to wait it out.
And in meanwhile they got me the knife :D
Now I guess I have to buy a diamond sharpener for D2 haha :D

Yeah, I would get the diamond sharpener. Hope you enjoy the GoBag.

The interesting thing about these threads is we pretty much already know what we want. Just a matter of making the decision.

In that price range there’s options but also compromise. Ive searched many times in the range you’re looking at. Usually the sheath was the downfall. The cold steel mini tac line is not bad. They’re well in your price range but the sheath isn’t great and you’ll need to add something to it for belt or pocket carry.

Yeah, I would get the diamond sharpener. Hope you enjoy the GoBag.

The interesting thing about these threads is we pretty much already know what we want. Just a matter of making the decision.
The handle is on the small side, but also very comfortable and firm in my grip, it's shape is nicley designed, design of the handle is kinda intended for forwards grip, and is executed in such way that you can even stab without fear of your hand slipping on the blade.
It came barley shaving sharp which is OK, the edge doesn't really shave but scrapes hairs off with some pressure. Sheath is thin kydex, but retention is good, not ideal, but good enough.

And I definitley agree with you on that one, we know what we want, but there are several similar choices and we just can't make the decision.

In that price range there’s options but also compromise. Ive searched many times in the range you’re looking at. Usually the sheath was the downfall. The cold steel mini tac line is not bad. They’re well in your price range but the sheath isn’t great and you’ll need to add something to it for belt or pocket carry.
Cold Steel Mini Tac also caught my attention, but steel choice was first thing to pop out, then as you mentioned - the sheath.
Also, CS usually bends their knives and does crazy stuff with them in their videos, mini tac tests were far from extreme which made me additionally doubt the AUS 8A.
I have more trust in D2 or 1095 or SK-5... you get it.
Plus, I realized blade thickness of less than 3mm and there is more narrow part of the tang where the finger choil is - which also won't make the blade more sturdy.
Handle is well designed, but it will also attract looks, and I personally dislike the look of it's design. I also dislike "Tac" in the name... (I know I'm picky)...

Hope you like the Gobag, let us know how you like it. Manly Patriot is the first thing that came to mind in that price range, the handle is comfortable, if that was one of your concerns. Would the Enzo Necker be too small as a backup?

Last edited:
Enzo necker seems to be OK regarding the size, but I doubt I'll need a backup.

So far I really like the GoBag, but time will tell, since I'll be carrying it mostly during summer and more formal stuff where larger blade might attract looks.

Manly Patriot really is a great knife, and I was also considering it, same as Ka-Bar Eskabar...
But I guess the real reason they went for GoBag was the fact it's around 30% cheaper than Manly Patriot :D

Those are nice!

Are they stainless or carbon steel?

GoBag is D2 steel, meaning it is somewhere in the middle.

Top 2 stainless - picolo mako is n690 & Fallkniven juni is 3g!
The 2 BattleHorseKnives in green canvas are O1.
440c on the skeletonized one!

So I carried the Boker GoBag now and here is the review for now:
I love the way it fits into my pocket, it's really light and compact knife, I also love the ergonomics of the handle.
Now, right away I noticed that the sheath is pretty thin kydex (plastic to make it simple). At first the retention was really strong, it would require significant ammount of force to push the knife in to hear the click, or to pull the knife out. Now it goes much easier, click is also rarley present anymore, now it's much more silent. But the rattle has appeared, there's plenty of rattle to it, unlike my Cold Steel knives having none.
Also, ever since I got the knife, I noticed plastic shavings in the sheath, and they would also stick to my blade and I would see them after I pull the knife out, which is rather weird.
It also came with a ball chain for neck carry, but even if I wanted to carry it that way - I don't have enough confidence in the sheath, I'm afraid the knife would fall out and it could possibly get damaged, and in worst case scenario I would get injured by it. I don't need stitches on my leg because I carried a knife in flimsy sheath around my neck.

To make the conclusion - I just LOVE the knife, but only thing ruining the experience is the sheath, which is very unfortunate.

Is it worth it to pay for another sheath?
Or should I try to make something on my own?
Or is it the best to just keep it as it is?

So I carried the Boker GoBag now and here is the review for now...
To make the conclusion - I just LOVE the knife, but only thing ruining the experience is the sheath, which is very unfortunate...

That's often the issue with EDC fixed blades. The sheath is an absolutely crucial part of the package. It tends to be the deal breaker for me on lots and lots of possible carry knives.

I'm actually exploring options now too. I prefer kydex sheaths that let me get a fuller grip for the draw. However, I'd also like to carry horizontally. Some sheaths have better retention than others. The Real Steel Receptor I mentioned has a decent sheath. It's honestly one of the better ones. It holds snugly but pops off with a thumb press. That's great for carrying loose in a pocket or canted vertical carry on a belt. I certainly stand by my earlier recommendation if that's what you plan to do with it. However, I find myself wanting more for horizontal belt carry.

I'd really like to see more sheaths come with an actual retention mechanism. For instance, look at the mechanisms on Le Duck from Outdoor Edge or the TDI/Hinderer Hell Fire from Ka-Bar. I'd love to see more options like that for knives with more traditional shapes. (If anyone has recommendations, please share them.)

if i were you i'd get the mora companion HD for about $20 (give or take $2) if you are just gonna throw it in your car, because it has the same thickness, hoever you may want the longer blade and if you have large hands it would be better

The Patriot would be my choice, but I just pulled the trigger on a Bow River.

It's a stainless, smaller, thinner version of my fav woods knife, the BK15.

Phil Wilson and Jerry Fisk know how to make a blade cut.

LOVE the shape and it's usability.

So, I believe only Manly USA is pulling out from business, but Manly as a company is not out of business (yet).

I'm again looking at Manly Patriot, and also Real Steel Receptor and Connector (drop point version)...

I'll also see some more how it goes with this Boker, I might get some piece of leather, or something similar instead of the sheath I currently have. It won't make difference since I pocket carry anyways, but there won't be any rattle...

Back