Recommendation? Compact fixed blade for EDC?

Much as I do like some of their knives, the Boker sheaths, esp. on their budget lines are just horrible IMO. Unfortunately, most budget knives aren't much better, and as somebody else mentioned, that is a key component in carrying a fixed blade.

Fox knives 1504 is a bit over your budget, but n690co and the leather sheaths they come with are great, with a retention strap.
The cheaper BlackFox 007 is 440(a), but it's a solid design and again, the sheath is great.

The Buck Pursuit is a bit on the larger side, and "only" 420hc but real comfortable to carry, lightweight, with a solid nylon sheath.

The KaBar BK11 and BK14 would be great options, and the GFN sheath has a little retention lever as well. Nice added touch. But you'd also likely want to buy the TDI clip to go with it, and while I personally like mine skeletonized, if you prefer a fuller handle, then factor in additional scales as well, and it should all come out right over budget before shipping...
*(The KaBar 1226 (3.7") & 1232 (4") are great little affordable stacked leather handle knives. I carry a 1226 when I'm fishing, but I do know you said no "round" handles. Just wanted to throw them out there as attractive and affordable options with decent leather sheaths from a reputable company. The 4116 steel used is no D2, but it touches up real quick and easy to take a very fine edge. Basic German stainless used in your standard decent-good household kitchen knives by companies like Wustoff, Messermeister, Henckels, Victorinox. It is also used by Cold Steel quite a but in budget lines, like in the 4" Cold Steel Finn Hawk, which is basically Cold Steel's spin-off of a Mora Companion).

And last but not least, I'm not sure where you live or any shipping issues, but 3.5" Carbon steel Mora 511's are currently < $10 at BladeHQ.
For that price, if you can you should...

Last edited:
Much as I do like some of their knives, the Boker sheaths, esp. on their budget lines are just horrible IMO. Unfortunately, most budget knives aren't much better, and as somebody else mentioned, that is a key component in carrying a fixed blade.

Fox knives 1504 is a bit over your budget, but n690co and the leather sheaths they come with are great, with a retention strap.
The cheaper BlackFox 007 is 440(a), but it's a solid design and again, the sheath is great.

The Buck Pursuit is a bit on the larger side, and "only" 420hc but real comfortable to carry, lightweight, with a solid nylon sheath.

The KaBar BK11 and BK14 would be great options, and the GFN sheath has a little retention lever as well. Nice added touch. But you'd also likely want to buy the TDI clip to go with it, and while I personally like mine skeletonized, if you prefer a fuller handle, then factor in additional scales as well, and it should all come out right over budget before shipping...
*(The KaBar 1226 (3.7") & 1232 (4") are great little affordable stacked leather handle knives. I carry a 1226 when I'm fishing, but I do know you said no "round" handles. Just wanted to throw them out there as attractive and affordable options with decent leather sheaths from a reputable company. The 4116 steel used is no D2, but it touches up real quick and easy to take a very fine edge. Basic German stainless used in your standard decent-good household kitchen knives by companies like Wustoff, Messermeister, Henckels, Victorinox. It is also used by Cold Steel quite a but in budget lines, like in the 4" Cold Steel Finn Hawk, which is basically Cold Steel's spin-off of a Mora Companion).

And last but not least, I'm not sure where you live or any shipping issues, but 3.5" Carbon steel Mora 511's are currently < $10 at BladeHQ.
For that price, if you can you should...
As much as Mora is a good buy - it's handle and sheath make it a nightmare to conceal.

I might go back to carrying Drop Forged Hunter since it fits my pocket nicley, sheath has no rattle to it and it's solid.
It's also the right size for concealed carry (during colder weather at least).
It is kinda on heawy side, so I see having issues with summer clothing.

Boker GoBag is an amazing knife with a bad sheath. I mean it works, I can carry it and everything, but there is some rattle to it, plastic shavings sticking to the blade, no click to it and it also feels very flimsy...

As much as Mora is a good buy - it's handle and sheath make it a nightmare to conceal.

I might go back to carrying Drop Forged Hunter since it fits my pocket nicley, sheath has no rattle to it and it's solid.

Boker GoBag is an amazing knife with a bad sheath. I mean it works, I can carry it and everything, but there is some rattle to it, plastic shavings sticking to the blade, no click to it and it also feels very flimsy...

You're right about the Mora. I have a few of them. There is one in my desk drawer and one in each vehicle. They're amazingly affordable, comfortable to use, and great for general utility tasks. They're also terrible for EDC. I don't even like carrying them in the woods because I can't get a full grip for the draw.

Reading your posts, I can't help but renew my recommendation for the Receptor. This thread prompted me to look at a lot of things and really think about the EDC fixed blades I've owned. I just keep coming back to it. The Receptor is a budget gem and honestly the best EDC fixed blade I've had.

Get a pocket sheath from KSF or TKW for the boker.

Best way to carry a small fixed blade daily.

If you go back to the dropped forge hunter, I assume it is Cold Steel, can you wrap it somehow?

You're right about the Mora. I have a few of them. There is one in my desk drawer and one in each vehicle. They're amazingly affordable, comfortable to use, and great for general utility tasks. They're also terrible for EDC. I don't even like carrying them in the woods because I can't get a full grip for the draw.

Reading your posts, I can't help but renew my recommendation for the Receptor. This thread prompted me to look at a lot of things and really think about the EDC fixed blades I've owned. I just keep coming back to it. The Receptor is a budget gem and honestly the best EDC fixed blade I've had.
I am really looking at it, but I'm also looking at CRKT Siwi knife. I just don't know about it's sheath.
Get a pocket sheath from KSF or TKW for the boker.

Best way to carry a small fixed blade daily.
I googled and I really like TKW sheath. I will most likley buy one.

If you go back to the dropped forge hunter, I assume it is Cold Steel, can you wrap it somehow?
Yeah, Cold Steel but I decided I prefer it as it is. Reason to add one more knife as EDC is the fact Forged Hunter is rather heawy and if I carry it during summer in light clothing - it will be fairly noticeable because of the drag it has.

It looks pretty plain so I never really had reactions from people to it, but something like this Boker is definitley more in terms of pocket knife as opposed to hunting knife.

I am really looking at it, but I'm also looking at CRKT Siwi knife. I just don't know about it's sheath...

I checked out the Siwi a while back. From memory, it's bigger and noticeably heavier than the Receptor. The scalloped handle is less comfortable. The blade stock is thicker and SK5 is pretty tough. That could help for prying, batoning wood, etc. For EDC though, I value cutting. The Receptor has thinner blade stock and the shape is optimized for slicing. (For reference, the Receptor is 0.12" and the Siwi is listed as 0.20".) The Receptor sails through cardboard like a champ.

The sheaths are different. The Receptor's sheath is folded kydex and much more form-fitting for the knife. It works well for loose pocket carry. The Siwi's sheath is glass-filled nylon and much larger. I only spent a few minutes with the Siwi but brand new, there was definitely more play in the sheath. While retention wasn't as good on the Siwi's sheath, it does have holes on both sides and comes with a Tek-Lok.

I think my best and cheapest option so far is just getting a pocket sheath for Boker.

I also need to make it's secondary bevel symetrical as soon as my diamond sharpener arrives. It should be here yesterday, but delivery has messed it up, and for some reason it doesn't surprise me. My country is notorious for bad post services...

Back