Companion EDC Cutting Test

Brian.Evans

Registered Member
Several of you guys have picked one of these up, but I think that some people are still on the fence. I understand. It's a new knife, from an unproven brand. Well, let's try to change that a little. I decided to try a little cutting test. I know it's far from being as awesome as Ankerson's testing, but maybe it will give you all a little more information about my knives. I was impressed by the way it cut. Feel free to comment or ask questions.

The subjects. An EK&T Companion. I reprofiled the edge to 30 dps, up to 1000 grit Lansky, then stropped on leather. The rope is 1/4" manilla from a local farm store.
0924151808.jpg

After 50 cuts of rope. I searched for a phone book, but I can't remember how long its been since I had one.
0924151812.jpg

This is 20 lb copy paper. I decided after this picture to just see if the knife would shave hair after every 50 cuts. I figured that will be easily reproducible and a decent real world test of blade sharpness.
0924151813.jpg

After 100 cuts. The hair was always shaved with the inch or so of edge that did the cutting of the rope. No using the tip but shaving with the heel here.
0924151817.jpg

150 cuts.
0924151819.jpg

200 cuts.
0924151822.jpg

Ok, slight pause in the action to figure out where I'm cut. I never even felt it. No one makes me bleed my own blood!
0924151825.jpg

Back at it! 250 cuts!
0924151828.jpg

300 cuts. Seriously, is this thing going to stop shaving hair soon?! It's even impressing me!
0924151831.jpg

350 cuts.
0924151833.jpg

400 cuts.
0924151835.jpg

450 cuts.
0924151838.jpg

500 cuts!
0924151841.jpg

Ohhhhh, the carnage! How many manillas had to die to make that pile!!??!
0924151843.jpg

I decide to end this here. Not because it quit shaving, but frankly I got bored. I decided to wander around and find other stuff to cut.

Wait, why is there a hammer next to my knife..........
0924151843a.jpg

Moving outside......that is a 3/4" hardwood dowel rod.
0924151845a.jpg

Now, I have a video of me whacking the crap out of a poor defenseless little knife, but the SPCK (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Knives) has forbade me from posting it. Ok......that's not true. I can't figure out how to upload it from my phone to youtube. Any help would be appreciated.

Anyway.....I batonned it through the dowel four times. I broke my little cutting board in the process.......dang it. But guess what.....it still shaved hair, right in the area where I drove it through the dowel.
0924151854.jpg

So there you have it, a decent real world test of edge holding and toughness. I have to say it impressed me. I will carry this knife with even more pride now. Now, where'd I lay that cinder block........

Last edited:
I wondered about that. I pulled them from my picasa web album instead of from my hosting site I usually use. I messed something up. Standby......

Ok, I have no idea why this suddenly stopped working. I can't seem to upload anything from my phone into picasa web albums and I can't link to anything from the computer side either. Let me figure this out. It really is a good test, I promise!

Hell, the pics of the knife in the original thread had me wanting it. Now the question is, do you figure out the pic issue, or does my paycheck clear first?

Once paycheck clears, I'll be sending the funds.

Hell, the pics of the knife in the original thread had me wanting it. Now the question is, do you figure out the pic issue, or does my paycheck clear first?

Once paycheck clears, I'll be sending the funds.
Something is wrong with PicasaWeb and the picture hosting. I'm getting an authentication error on my phone and a 404 error on the computer. So, I guess I'll have to wait to post the pictures.

Email me your info and we'll talk about sales there.

Something is wrong with PicasaWeb and the picture hosting. I'm getting an authentication error on my phone and a 404 error on the computer. So, I guess I'll have to wait to post the pictures.

Email me your info and we'll talk about sales there.

We've already worked out a deal via email!

I've been waiting for payday since you first posted the unboxing thread.

I'm getting some of the pics. I went to your other thread. Man I think I am in love. I'm going to save up for this little baby. Sounds like the perfect neck knife I've been looking for. I'm go into get me one some day. Good write up too.

I think the pictures are up and working now. I did the same thing I did last night, except this time it worked. Oh well, at least they're up now.

Back