Compatibility Question for Domin and Begleiter Upgrades

I noticed that recent versions of the Mini Domin and Begleiter have been upgraded from washers to bearings. I'm happy about that. However, I'm curious about compatibility. For instance, I'm guessing you can't just drop bearings into the old model. Is there any issue with swapping scales?

I would think that the bearings have their pockets cut into either the liners or tang, but never the scales. I'm just a knife buyer and appreciator though, I don't make them or modify them (much)

I ask because sometimes an upgrade or version change can include other differences.

Unfortunately, I only have the old mini Domin and the new mini Begleiter so I can't quickly check for myself. I was hoping that the good people at Kizer Cutlery Kizer Cutlery could give us a definitive answer. I'd also accept word form somebody who has one of each and wouldn't mind checking.

Hi sir, I've contacted our engineers and Azo, the designer of the Begleiter and the Domin. The ball bearings would not be compatible with the previous versions because of the thickness. The thickness of the washer is 0.5 mm while the ball bearings are 1.2~1.5 mm thick. I hope this information could help you. Thank you!

Hi sir, I've contacted our engineers and Azo, the designer of the Begleiter and the Domin. The ball bearings would not be compatible with the previous versions because of the thickness. The thickness of the washer is 0.5 mm while the ball bearings are 1.2~1.5 mm thick. I hope this information could help you. Thank you!

Thanks. I didn't think think that the bearings and washers could be swapped. I just wanted to know if this change also caused a change in scale design, spacing, etc.

Any issues on swapping scales between bearing and washer models?

Back