5. Carbon fiber, CPM 154/s90v, C101CFPE2
  6. Marbled carbon fiber hollow grind FLC, 4v, C101MCF2
  7. Gray diamond g10, cruwear, C101GGY2
  8. Gray g10 KW, 52100, C101GPBGY521002
  9. Black/brown Burl g10, s90v, C101MGPBRBBK2
  10. Foliage green g10, CTS XHP, C101GFGXHPP2
  11. Natural Jade g10 BHQ, M4, C101GM4P2
  12. ...?
Also, because Spyderco hasn't done their part (yet)
  • Gray FRN, Maxamet, C101PGY2 blade swapped with
  • Black g10, s30v, C101GP2

Long discussion:
Hi all,
Excuse me if this info is out there somewhere already, but my novice level google-fu hasn't yielded there results I'm looking for.

So, this year I got a little carried away looking for folding knives with quality blade steels and construction.

I finally got to cape, quarter, and process some deer sized game this year, and I was getting frustrated with my heirloom marbles woodcraft dulling after one animal, and the replaceable blade knives were dangerous in the dark. When I splurged on a Buck 192 in s30v and my eyes were opened to to performance advantages of super steels vs 420hc/1095 class steels. My goal was to ditch the replaceable blade knives and have a high-edge retention folder and a joint popping tough fixed blade. I figured a good place to start was with an edc-sized folder.

I wanted to upgraded my Bear Grylls AO in 7Cr17MoV, which had been by long time EDC with a knife with a similar handling lock to the button plunge lock, but with a "super steel". I tried a Benchmade North Fork and really liked the slide action of the axis lock. However, it was 'only' s30v and I became enchanted by the allure of maximum edge retention (thanks, Pete of Cedric and Ada). So a long story short(er) I got mixed up in the Manix 2 world, starting with the Blurple s110v, then blade-swapping the Maxamet into a standard black g10 handle..... and now I have 3 Manix 2's on order and 9 already here (10, if you count the s30v blade that I swapped into the gray frn Maxamet scales, which is a dedicated boat knife)

Clearly obsession and insanity have won the day, and now I'm trying to track down every variety of super steel Manix 2. A comprehensive list of Manix 2 releases---compiled into one handy guide---would be really helpful. I can start by listing the ones of which I'm aware (read: have or have on order). But I would greatly appreciate if someone could point me to a list with anything that is missing.

Also, help me out if I am mistaken, but should I only expect the Manix series to be released in American steels? It seems like everything is either Crucible or Carpenter or generic 52100. Will I never find a zdp189, elmax, k390, lc200n, Vanax, hap40, etc in a Manix because they are imports?

There also seems to be a few high end USA steels made steels missing from the Manix line so far. Unless I'm mistaken, there is yet to be a Manix released in 10v, 3v, rex121, Maxamet (in g10), s125v, etc.

I know there is cts bd1 lightweight Manix 2, but I'm ignoring the FRN handled versions from this list/my search because
a)I wasn't a fan of the feel, flex, or grip of the lightweight Manix 2. It seems to under sell the hard use capability of the knife and ruin the action compared to the g10 steel lined version. With skeletonized liners the Manix 2 is just the right weight and balance.
b) CTS bd1 is an inexpensive steel option for an inexpensive plastic knife to target non steel snobs who need a good enough cheap option. It isn't a super steel. Correct me if I'm wrong.
c) Outside of the Maxamet Manix 2, there aren't any frn Manix 2 releases with a steel that isn't already offered in the steel lined versions. Correct me if I'm wrong
d) I feel the Manix 2 lightweight, given the reduced weight, inferior balance, handle flex, inferior grip traction, cheapened pin construction, non-serviceabilty, and 'budget' bd1 base steel is essentially a different knife altogether from the Manix 2. I'm open to your differing opinions!

Is it helpful to include release dates for each model? Maybe I'm missing a bunch that were released a long time before I became invested in knives. Also might help collectors judge the rarity and difficulty in tracking down certain models. I know I've seen some seemingly outrageous prices on eBay trying to track down some of my Manix 2s.

Finally, when are we going to get some sprint run in stabilized wood scales (say similar to the North Fork)? It's a lightweight material superior in grip and feel to frn, and would really stand out from the plethora of grayish, blackish Manix 2s that are already out there. Also, could I get a blaze orange (maybe even glow in the dark) g10 sprint run in a high edge retaining steel that I can find on the ground when caping and quartering a deer during the day or in the dark? Moonglow is great at night, but gets lost in the grass during the day. Camo scales in a pocket folder are not a hunters friend! I can dream, right?

If you've read all the way to the end of this post... Why? The list is at the begining!

Last edited:
There was a CF/Cruwear Manix, multiple FRN ones, a blue s30v, and a backlock s30v one, and the blurple/s110v one is a standard production run. I'm sure you're missing some of the old school ones with the clear cage as well.

TL;DR
  1. Royal Blue g10, s30v, C101GBL2
  2. Blurple g10, s110v, C101GPDBL2
  3. Red g10 DLT, 20cv, C101GPRD2
  4. Glow in the dark Moonglow EDC, s30v, C101MP2
  5. Carbon fiber KW, CPM 154/s90v, C101CFPE2
  6. Marbled carbon fiber hollow grind FLC, 4v, C101MCF2
  7. Gray diamond g10, cruwear, C101GGY2
  8. Gray g10 KW, 52100, C101GPBGY521002
  9. Black/brown Burl g10, s90v, C101MGPBRBBK2
  10. Foliage green g10, CTS XHP, C101GFGXHPP2
  11. Natural Jade g10 BHQ, M4, C101GM4P2
  12. ...?
Also, because Spyderco hasn't done their part (yet)
  • Gray FRN, Maxamet, C101PGY2 blade swapped with
  • Black g10, s30v, C101GP2

Long discussion:
Hi all,
Excuse me if this info is out there somewhere already, but my novice level google-fu hasn't yielded there results I'm looking for.

So, this year I got a little carried away looking for folding knives with quality blade steels and construction.

I finally got to cape, quarter, and process some deer sized game this year, and I was getting frustrated with my heirloom marbles woodcraft dulling after one animal, and the replaceable blade knives were dangerous in the dark. When I splurged on a Buck 192 in s30v and my eyes were opened to to performance advantages of super steels vs 420hc/1095 class steels. My goal was to ditch the replaceable blade knives and have a high-edge retention folder and a joint popping tough fixed blade. I figured a good place to start was with an edc-sized folder.

I wanted to upgraded my Bear Grylls AO in 7Cr17MoV, which had been by long time EDC with a knife with a similar handling lock to the button plunge lock, but with a "super steel". I tried a Benchmade North Fork and really liked the slide action of the axis lock. However, it was 'only' s30v and I became enchanted by the allure of maximum edge retention (thanks, Pete of Cedric and Ada). So a long story short(er) I got mixed up in the Manix 2 world, starting with the Blurple s110v, then blade-swapping the Maxamet into a standard black g10 handle..... and now I have 3 Manix 2's on order and 9 already here (10, if you count the s30v blade that I swapped into the gray frn Maxamet scales, which is a dedicated boat knife)

Clearly obsession and insanity have won the day, and now I'm trying to track down every variety of super steel Manix 2. A comprehensive list of Manix 2 releases---compiled into one handy guide---would be really helpful. I can start by listing the ones of which I'm aware (read: have or have on order). But I would greatly appreciate if someone could point me to a list with anything that is missing.

Also, help me out if I am mistaken, but should I only expect the Manix series to be released in American steels? It seems like everything is either Crucible or Carpenter or generic 52100. Will I never find a zdp189, elmax, k390, lc200n, Vanax, hap40, etc in a Manix because they are imports?

There also seems to be a few high end USA steels made steels missing from the Manix line so far. Unless I'm mistaken, there is yet to be a Manix released in 10v, 3v, rex121, Maxamet (in g10), s125v, etc.

I know there is cts bd1 lightweight Manix 2, but I'm ignoring the FRN handled versions from this list/my search because
a)I wasn't a fan of the feel, flex, or grip of the lightweight Manix 2. It seems to under sell the hard use capability of the knife and ruin the action compared to the g10 steel lined version. With skeletonized liners the Manix 2 is just the right weight and balance.
b) CTS bd1 is an inexpensive steel option for an inexpensive plastic knife to target non steel snobs who need a good enough cheap option. It isn't a super steel. Correct me if I'm wrong.
c) Outside of the Maxamet Manix 2, there aren't any frn Manix 2 releases with a steel that isn't already offered in the steel lined versions. Correct me if I'm wrong
d) I feel the Manix 2 lightweight, given the reduced weight, inferior balance, handle flex, inferior grip traction, cheapened pin construction, non-serviceabilty, and 'budget' bd1 base steel is essentially a different knife altogether from the Manix 2. I'm open to your differing opinions!

Is it helpful to include release dates for each model? Maybe I'm missing a bunch that were released a long time before I became invested in knives. Also might help collectors judge the rarity and difficulty in tracking down certain models. I know I've seen some seemingly outrageous prices on eBay trying to track down some of my Manix 2s.

Finally, when are we going to get some sprint run in stabilized wood scales (say similar to the North Fork)? It's a lightweight material superior in grip and feel to frn, and would really stand out from the plethora of grayish, blackish Manix 2s that are already out there. Also, could I get a blaze orange (maybe even glow in the dark) g10 sprint run in a high edge retaining steel that I can find on the ground when caping and quartering a deer during the day or in the dark? Moonglow is great at night, but gets lost in the grass during the day. Camo scales in a pocket folder are not a hunters friend! I can dream, right?

If you've read all the way to the end of this post... Why? The list is at the begining!
http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C101_Manix_80mm

The s90v/cpm154 wasn't a KW exclusive, also there was a solid S90V version as well.

Thanks, updated.
Are you thinking of the orange frn s90v version? Or is there a different all s90v with g10 scales?

Fradon Lock 4V CPM steel, marbled CF scales.

That's number 6 on my list. :)

There was a CF/Cruwear Manix, multiple FRN ones, a blue s30v, and a backlock s30v one, and the blurple/s110v one is a standard production run. I'm sure you're missing some of the old school ones with the clear cage as well.

I've listed the blue and the Blurple. Ill have to take a closer look at the wiki to see about the various cruwear offerings.

If a Manix has a backlock, is it really a Manix? :p

there is a M390 Manix2 in the pipeline,pretty soon.

Is this true? That would be the first I've heard of a Manix in import steel.

CF, basically just like the CPM154/S90V but solid S90V- I think there were only 400 made, one of the very first sprints. They were going for around $400 on the exchange until the other S90V sprints started coming out, and took the prices back down.

CF, basically just like the CPM154/S90V but solid S90V- I think there were only 400 made, one of the very first sprints. They were going for around $400 on the exchange until the other S90V sprints started coming out, and took the prices back down.

I like the carbon fiber on the 154/s90v version. It still has great grip.

The carbon fiber on the 4v is smooth and while it is sexy looking, it seems a shame that the 4v blade is "wasted" on a potentially slippery handle.

However, as much as I like the textured carbon fiber handle, since I already have one with an s90v edge, I'm not sure I could justify getting the CF pure s90v version. Not when I have the g10 s90v coming in the mail. At 400 bucks, that might be a unicorn knife I can chase when I have the other steel options.

The Manix was originally a back lock. So maybe the question is, if it has a CBBL, is it really a Manix? :p

Back