Recommendation? Compression stockings

Piso Mojado

Basic Member
Looking for knee-high compression stockings, for venous insufficiency due to varicose veins. My left leg keeps getting infected and I've had an overnighter in the hospital, which gave me a greater appreciation of White Castle. Doc says 15-20 mmHg is a good place to start.

I have three pair of Danish Endurance and I'm considering cheap ones from Amazon. They are a pain to pull on, but easy enough if you turn them inside out; I would describe their comfort level as "tolerable." Any suggestions?

I wear Nike Hyper Elite compression socks as well as cep socks and sleeves.

I wear them more to reduce muscle atrophy, as well as increase blood flow when I'm healthy enough to go to the gym.

Looking for knee-high compression stockings, for venous insufficiency due to varicose veins. My left leg keeps getting infected and I've had an overnighter in the hospital, which gave me a greater appreciation of White Castle. Doc says 15-20 mmHg is a good place to start.

I have three pair of Danish Endurance and I'm considering cheap ones from Amazon. They are a pain to pull on, but easy enough if you turn them inside out; I would describe their comfort level as "tolerable." Any suggestions?

I wear Mediven Patriot XL 20-30's excellent quality. Uncle Sam pays for mine through the VA.
http://mediusa.com/portfolio-item/patriot/

Amazon carries them
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...3&crid=T6F1W84P657&rh=i:aps,k:mediven+patriot

Thanks, guys! I will try Nike and Mediven compression stockings when I find a better source than Amazon. It looks like Mediven is sold by every medical supply dealer in Chicago.

I bought two from Amazon.

SOOVERKI is typical of Amazon's cheapest, $23.99 for 6 pair: 85% nylon, 10% polyester, 5% elastane. Elastane does the compression and that tells you what you're buying. They are not left/right fitted and compression is not equalized, so your leg comes out banded. What can I say? They work and they aren't flimsy, but I don't think I'll buy more of these.

Danish Endurance are $15.95 or $10.63 if you buy three pair: 65% Polyamide, 20% Elasthane, 15% Lycra. Elasthane and Lycra are the same thing and I'm not sure what they mean, but the stockings are made in the EU and it may be sourcing indication — Elastane is called Lycra in Israel. It's probably not Lycra® from Koch Industry/Invista Products: too expensive for a discount brand, and Danish Endurance is supposed to be green & right on. Their polyamide may be Nylon 66 AKA Cordura®. So less than crystal clear about what they're made of, but right/left fitted, equal compression, and they look good. I'm buying another three pair.

Edit 6/16/17: Danish Endurance are 95% Polyamide and 5% Elastane, which makes sense. Polyamides are nylons and there are many varieties. Will post again when I've tried Mediven, which seems to be the medical supply standard.

Last edited:
Back to this thread with nine months experience.
  1. The best compression socks are free. If you have a prescription and your insurance (or the VA) will pay, go with whatever they'll pay for.
  2. Start at 15–20 mmHg. If your doctor says 20–30 mmHg or higher, you have a serious problem, hopefully a prescription, and you don't need my advice.
  3. Compression socks are either all nylon or 40–60% nylon and something else. Other things being equal, all nylon should last longer and 40–60% wool or cotton is more absorbent. If you can, get both and rotate. Change shoes every day.
  4. Patterns, multi-colors, branding, toe and heel patches, etc. are better than solid colors. You'll be pulling them on inside out and patterns help you line them up.
  5. Don't pay more than $10/pair.
  6. The best I've found on Amazon are Danish Endurance. There are regular sales on certain colors which gets the price down to $8. "Graduated Compression Socks for Women & Men" are all nylon; "Organic Graduated Compression Socks for Men & Women" are 55% cotton. I have only worn all nylon, but the other is on sale in purple/orange and I've ordered two pair in the interest of science. I will update if I find a significant difference.
  7. The best I've found at Sierra Trading Post are Saucony all nylon. A -25% coupon gets the price under $10. Smartwool are great but they cost too much: 50% more but not 50% better.

Time to revive this old thread because the pandemic has turned my suggestions from three years ago into ancient history. Three years ago, most of the :cheap clothing sold in the US had been made in China's Guangdong province, but production was shifting to Vietnam thanks to a trade war. With Vietnam reeling from Delta and Omicron variants and Ho Chi Minh City's garment factories on rolling shutdowns, there is just not much available here today: but I have found that by moving up to 20-30 mmHg compression (medical class 1) I can still find some bargains. A lot of runners and cyclists think they have more endurance wearing medical grade compression socks, and more demand equals more supply.

Go2Socks 20-30 mmHg compression socks are out of my price range at Amazon and Walmart, but well within range at the brand's fleabay store. Go2Socks has a Texas business address, but they don't say where the socks are from and I don't like that: if they can sell to me for $6.24 shipped with Illinois sales tax, they aren't made here. Otherwise I have no complaints. The socks are well made and fit well, and they have held up well so far (two months). They are all nylon and elastane. I adjusted to the higher compression in one day and they aren't harder to pull on than what I was used to.

I really have no need for this kind of gear... at least not at the moment. I'm not ruling it out as I age. But anyway, it's just nice to see someone willing to take the time to share their learned experience.

Compression socks are either all nylon or 40–60% nylon and something else. Other things being equal, all nylon should last longer and 40–60% wool or cotton is more absorbent. If you can, get both and rotate. Change shoes every day.
The best I've found on Amazon are Danish Endurance. There are regular sales on certain colors which gets the price down to $8. "Graduated Compression Socks for Women & Men" are all nylon; "Organic Graduated Compression Socks for Men & Women" are 55% cotton. I have only worn all nylon, but the other is on sale in purple/orange and I've ordered two pair in the interest of science. I will update if I find a significant difference.
The best I've found at Sierra Trading Post are Saucony all nylon. A -25% coupon gets the price under $10. Smartwool are great but they cost too much: 50% more but not 50% better.

I will add a small note here, if I may. There is an old saying among outdoor enthusiasts: "cotton kills". When cotton gets wet, it loses all of its insulative properties. Something perhaps to consider.

Back