Concealed carry recommendations

I finally got to test out the Ruger LCP yesterday. To say the recoil on it is unpleasant would be an understatement. The worst part is the trigger slapping your finger during recoil. I couldn't manage more than a couple of magazines before calling it quits because of how bad it hurt. I don't foresee this being a gun that's going to see much range time. More likely it's going to be carried often and shot very little.

Yes that is exactly right. I rarely shoot mine. However the Hogue LCP grips help a lot. It is a specific grip made for the LCP, not a slip on. Pretty cheap too on amazon.

I finally got to test out the Ruger LCP yesterday. To say the recoil on it is unpleasant would be an understatement. The worst part is the trigger slapping your finger during recoil. I couldn't manage more than a couple of magazines before calling it quits because of how bad it hurt. I don't foresee this being a gun that's going to see much range time. More likely it's going to be carried often and shot very little.

When I was shopping for a gun, the salesman said almost the exact same thing.
He loves it for deep carry, but hates to shoot it.

Try a Glock 42. My brother sold his LCP and bought one. My wife loves hers and I think it shoots like a cap gun. Very accurate and soft shooting. It's the only pocket gun I've shot that is fun to shoot and I've shot almost all of them.

Last edited:
My job allows me to try and carry lot of suitable CCW guns. I've found that nothing seems to be able to kick the Kahr P9 out of my holster for any length of time. It's light, compact, and I love the smoothness of the trigger. The only mod is to add a Hogue grip sleeve. It's been my primary carry for 13 years. While the Glock 43 is quite comparable in size and weight, it's shallow grip angle is unlike any of my other guns, thus not a natural pointer for me. I believe natural pointing is critical for a CCW gun.

That is almost exactly like my experience. But after two magazines, my LCP went right on the safe shelf. Hasn't been shot since. I got the Crimson Trace version with laser on front. It is held in place with a lip around the trigger guard making the trigger area even smaller.....with sharp edges to boot. Two mags made my finger bleed. With 380 no less. And I can shoot an Officers size 1911 Micro Compact in 45 all day long.

•••••••••••••••

Sent from my mind....using Tap-a-Thought. (tm)

That is almost exactly like my experience. But after two magazines, my LCP went right on the safe shelf. Hasn't been shot since. I got the Crimson Trace version with laser on front. It is held in place with a lip around the trigger guard making the trigger area even smaller.....with sharp edges to boot. Two mags made my finger bleed. With 380 no less. And I can shoot an Officers size 1911 Micro Compact in 45 all day long.

I'm pretty sure we both got the same version of the LCP. But it's still gotta be a better choice than the P3AT it was based on. Even if it's mechanically sound and proven, its ergonomics are better refined.

I'm pretty sure we both got the same version of the LCP. But it's still gotta be a better choice than the P3AT it was based on. Even if it's mechanically sound and proven, its ergonomics are better refined.

No doubt. When you get down into unique sizes or calibers where nothing stands out as optimal, we do have to just pick the "better of available choices". Sort of like many political elections.

I do have an old S&W Sigma 380 that shoots MUCH better than the LCP. It is only marginally larger, but I question its long term reliability. It just seems like it's built like the what we may refer to as a Saturday Night Special. Barrel looks extruded, slide looks like cast aluminum (or some form of pot metal). I believe these were Smith's first foray into polymer frames. Granted these are just my impressions based on look and feel. Overall, I'm a pretty big Smith & Wesson fan. But we all learn with experience.

The Sigma Pros: I actually really liked shooting it. Very manageable recoil. Much like I would expect the G42 to be like. The two finger grip is sized and shaped to allow a great grip.

The Cons: Question if it could handle high round count for practice needed for my own peace of mind for ccw. The magazines were a bit odd with tabs coming up from the base. And needed a two finger grip to squeeze to release. Often had issues of simple breakage. I even snapped one, but don't remember if I squeezed too hard, or just dropped it. To Smith's credit, one call got a no questions asked, we'll mail you a new one. Also, the breakdown procedure required that rolled pins be punched out, to expose under the slide, the the barrel fixed to the frame. Had trigger "drop" safety (similar to Glock), but no manual safety, and no slide lock.

But overall, for it's time, it was not half bad. Which is probably why I kept it. Originally purchased for my wife. But when she stopped carrying it (I bought her an S&W 3913, which I also still have), I found myself using it under certain clothing conditions.

ab4aps.jpg

But if you are looking for super small, it's hard to beat the NAA Mini. [emoji16][emoji41][emoji23][emoji56]

20jpd6v.jpg

Or if you are into tiny ultra tactical.......[emoji23]

2eat1qx.jpg

And here it is with a properly sized fixed blade, the Boker Gnome. [emoji16]. I call it my poker table set. It's a great conversation starter and brings a lot of smiles. Now I just need to get one of those forearm and cuff extender rigs.

10qmfrn.jpg

•••••••••••••••

Sent from my mind....using Tap-a-Thought. (tm)

Last edited:
My job allows me to try and carry lot of suitable CCW guns. I've found that nothing seems to be able to kick the Kahr P9 out of my holster for any length of time. It's light, compact, and I love the smoothness of the trigger. The only mod is to add a Hogue grip sleeve. It's been my primary carry for 13 years. While the Glock 43 is quite comparable in size and weight, it's shallow grip angle is unlike any of my other guns, thus not a natural pointer for me. I believe natural pointing is critical for a CCW gun.

I really want to try out some Kahr pistols. I've never shot one. I think their single stack models look great for carrY. Slim, all metal, rubber grip, etc. I like the K9 and K40.

kahr_k9blacka0207111.jpg

Another question has come to me on this matter. If IWB is how you carry, does either the holster or the pistol tend to get cold against your skin if you have to be outside for long periods of time in the winter?

I carry a Kahr CM9 daily. It's either IWB or OWB at 4 o'clock where it rides unnoticed all day. In answer to the above question. - I use a leather holster so it warms up and stays warm. Same with the gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As it has already been stated the gun only helps if you have it with you. Because of this I would go with a S&W J-frame. I have several of the previously mentioned pistols but still find myself carrying a revolver most of the time because it easy for me to just slip one into my pocket. My two most carried are my 642 and PD351.

Another question has come to me on this matter. If IWB is how you carry, does either the holster or the pistol tend to get cold against your skin if you have to be outside for long periods of time in the winter?

I've have never been uncomfortable about the coldness of my gun against my body. Stealth gear has some really good holsters & magazine holders that allows your body to breath with the holster against your body in cold or hot temps.

I really want to try out some Kahr pistols. I've never shot one. I think their single stack models look great for carrY. Slim, all metal, rubber grip, etc. I like the K9 and K40.

Kahrs are nice pistols, I owned one of the original K9's. Smooth trigger, accurate. It feels like carrying a brick (25 ounces unloaded) in comparison to a G43 or S&W Shield.

Kahrs are nice pistols, I owned one of the original K9's. Smooth trigger, accurate. It feels like carrying a brick (25 ounces unloaded) in comparison to a G43 or S&W Shield.

That weight should lessen recoil, and maybe shoot 9mm 147grain ammo should be a great firearm. It seems the 115 grain is a bit snappier when shoot with my G 26, higher grain ammo seems to lessen the snappiness.

That weight should lessen recoil, and maybe shoot 9mm 147grain ammo should be a great firearm. It seems the 115 grain is a bit snappier when shoot with my G 26, higher grain ammo seems to lessen the snappiness.

Oh it does manage recoil better, but not a lot. 147 grain ammo made the slide a bit sluggish (at least in my experience). I had some failures to feed, but that was a long time ago with an early pistol. For a concealed carry pistol, eight more ounces is a lot. Polymer frames changed the game.

The Kahr PM9 weights 14 ounces.
The Glock 43 weighs 17 ounces.
The S&W Shield weighs 19 ounces.

The Kahr PM9 weights 14 ounces.
The Glock 43 weighs 17 ounces.
The S&W Shield weighs 19 ounces.

It seems the Shield is closer to the Kahr K9 all steel after looking closely at the specs, the 19 ounce weight is without the magazine. With magazine, the PM9 is 15.9 and the Glock 43 is 17.9 ounces. I guess the manufacturers like to tout unloaded weight without the magazines, which isn't the whole story.

Kahr PM9 loaded weighs 15.9 ounces.
Glock 43 loaded weighs 22.36 ounces.
S&W Shield loaded weights 24.1 ounces.

Back