Concealed carrying a knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look up local laws. They are all different. Maybe check out KnifeRights.

Edit to add:. I know what is legal in my local, but I've also been carrying a knife as far back as my memory goes. As such, I don't really consider it a weapon, therefore have little desire to blurt out "I've got a knife!". Now the forty five on my belt, that's a different story.

Early on in my carry, it was law to inform Leo's of your firearm. Later the data was merged with vehicle/license data, and now screen pop's, so the law changed to not require verbal notice. Since that time I got pulled over in a freeway speed trap. At the end the officer asked if I was carrying, I said yes. He then asked why I didn't notify him earlier?. I stated simply that it was not required, and I knew that he already knew also. He just smiled said thank you for taking measures to protect your own family.

Then a few months ago I got pulled over again by a local. I decided to give verbal notice as a courtesy. He asked where it was, replied "hip", he said "fine", and went on his way writing my ticket.

So, meaning to the stories, cops deal with a ton. Unless you look suspect, act suspect, or are suspect, I doubt anyone would give a second thought to a knife....unless it really is illegal where you are or what you carry.

Last edited:
Your profile indicates your location is New York... so the answer to your question will vary according to the particular knife, and - perhaps to a greater degree - on where in the state you are.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Concealed" generally applies to knives over a specified blade length. Large folders (i.e. large enough to use as a defensive weapon) are generally not considered "concealed" if visibly clipped to a pocket -- even if the pocket is covered with a shirt or jacket.

This is a general rule. I have no clue about knife laws in New York. A search of NY Revised Statutes should outline knife law for you. District Attorney's office should be able to provide knife law for you.

As regards "bflying" in this thread: If you're armed, you need to stop getting stopped and questioned by police.

As a general rule, relying on a knife for defense is a good way to get shot. I have a knife visibly clipped to my pocket. But for self-defense I rely on behaving myself, avoiding conflict -- backed up with a .357 snubby.

Inside of NYC you MUST conceal your knife or face arrest.
Outside of NYC you don't need to conceal, pocket or belt carry is fine. Check your local laws re blade length - in NYC it is a 4" limit, outside NYC there is technically no limit.

Do not declare a knife on your person unless specifically asked, and then make it clear you "do not have a weapon, but are carrying a knife". A knife is not a weapon unless you are using it unlawfully or consider it to be a weapon and declare it to be one.

If carrying for SD get some schooling from a Filipino-based martial art school. With or without a knife, get yourself some OC, make sure it is 2% Major Capsaicinoids or higher. OC has a lower threshold for use than deadly force, works a lot better than a knife if you have no training, and works better on multiple attackers in low light conditions etc.

Last edited:
First LAW in most states is that you have the legal obligation to de-fuse and withdraw to avoid confrontation.

Some states, like FLA have "stand your ground" laws that allow use of [lethal] force rather than withdrawal. Stand your ground laws open a whole distinct legal can-o-worms, and there's probably a thread in these forums discussing "stand your ground."

Self-defense with a knife is nasty business. Stabbing moves risk having your hand slip forward on your grip and across your blade. Slashing is effective only if you're able to slash to kill.

If you're slashing and stabbing, your adversary is lawfully justified in using lethal force in defense. Basically, you don't want to bring a knife to a knife fight.

If you're getting yourself into situations that justify use of lethal force, then it's probably time to review your social habits and recreational choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back