Concerning the Pre-2004 Schrade et-al knives

afishhunter

Gold Member
Does anyone else regularly carry and use their pre-2004 Schrade family brands(s), or have they been delegated strictly to display/"Safe Queen"/"Drawer King" status?

Concerning Camillus ....
Wasn't Camillus one of the Schrade brands?

If so: How did Camillus keep going for another three years, until 2007, after Schrade declared bankruptcy?
Did Camillus have government contract(s) for the "Demo" knife, and possibly other military issue blades, and/or enough contracts to produce knives for other cutlery companies, so it was profitable enough to be excluded from the bankruptcy?

yes, I carry a USA schrade every day.

5ot or 7ot as an edc, usually 152 or 137 or etc,... hunting, 165 or 171 or 172, etc, ..... hiking/camping

I don't know anything about Camillus

There’s so many delrin schrades around there’s no reason not to use them, and keep a bunch of spares. There’s also so many used examples I see few reasons to use a mint unused delrin knife.

I am picky about using the old bone schrades and other knives of that era with different handles but they are also my favorite knives to use. Most of the ones I have are for collecting but I also have a bunch of users. They have to be in a certain condition for me to be ok with using them.

Last edited:
Albert Baer purchased Camillus in 1963, but it was always a separate company from Imperial Schrade. One may read plenty about Camillus, including an extensive history of its last days here: http://www.collectors-of-camillus.us/
Meanwhile, I collect Schrade knives but rarely use them. Once in awhile I will carry one, but I find that they are not usually a good fit. This is not because they are not inherently so, but because there are so many others that work into my eccentric personal program marginally better. Besides which, since I DO collect them, I want to keep them in un-used condition.

This one is a shapleigh made by schrade walden. It has been my edc for quite a few months now.

E1BDCA72-8288-45C4-B217-8306DA457B96.jpeg

Another one I like to carry, SW 861. I usually carry this on the weekend. If I didn’t have so many other 861’s that are all nicer I may not carry it as much, so that is a factor.

BE60B38A-9FA9-4CC8-8A0C-BB1EAD6064A5.jpeg

Yes I use them. I have users of favorite patterns. I have many I don't use though.

Albert Baer started working at Camillus in the 1920's as a stock and errand boy. By the early 1930's he was top salesman. As one of the Kastor brothers was set to retire, Albert bought his stocks. In the late 1930's the Kastor sons, Alfred and Robert were running the company. But Robert decided to stay in New York City and be a stock broker leaving Alfred to run the company. Alfred has a nervous breakdown and attempts suicide. By cutting his wrists? So that leaves Albert to run the whole shebang himself. Which he did quite well. Well Robert convinces Alfred that Albert is going to steal the company from them. So they fire Albert. And they have to compete with Albert until 1963, 23 years later, when Alfred sold Baer the rest of the stocks. And he gave the stocks to his two daughters and their families. The Schwartz and Kaufman grandchildren were running it when it closed. Albert had died in 1997 and until then continued to direct work to Camillus.

This pretty well lays out the ending of Camillus.

How things went wrong at Camillus Cutlery (collectors-of-camillus.us)

Last edited:
I carry a LB 7 (4 pin no serial no.) every day. fits my back pocket with my billfold perfectly. when working in the yard I wear a 171 UH.

Back