Condore bushlore questions?

OK guys so I'm a total knife noob so sorry for the stupid questions. I have been looking at the condore bushlore and I was just wondering if it was worth getting because I heard the grind it comes with it is awful and I don't think I possess the skill of reprofiling it. The knife is affordable which I like because I have a low budget for buying my next knife. I will be using this knife as a backpacking/camping knife. My question pretty much is should I get a Condore bushlore? Or will the quality control be a problem for a knife noob like me? Thanks guys your advice and knowledge will be appreciated.

Agreed on baryonyx.

I have a bushlore. Fantastic knife. Would be a good value at twice the price.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Out right now, but more landing Tuesday evening. :)

The wood on mine are perfectly fine, comfortable, well fitted etc... I suppose it comes down to preference and how much care to plan to give the knife. If it'll sit in wet conditions for days at a time, micarta will withstand that better. Of course, it's a carbon steel blade, so best to maintain and keep it dry anyway. I like the traditional look of wood, and i'm good at sealing it from the elements, so i saved the money and went with wood. Others may decide otherwise...

ok I will check them out. Would you recommend wood or micarta scales? Thanks.

Get two of the blade blanks:

http://www.baryonyxknife.com/cobubl.html

Then you can try out different handle materials, until you find out what works.

Cord wrap the one so you have something fast and easy, then take your time with making or having made, some scales for the other blank. Even better, make them up with screws instead of pins, so you can swap out handle colors and materials for any occasion.

Halloween scales, Christmas scales, blaze orange ones so it doesn't get lost in the woods.....

The wood is pretty well fitted on mine. I would think the micarta might throw the balance off on the knife (handle heavy).

Both are nice, but it depends on your preferences. The largest difference is the micarta is heavier, so it shifts the balance a little further back towards the hand--not that the wood handled one is very forward balanced or anything, but the micarta one is just a little more handle-heavy.

My wood handled one balances right behind the front pin. Yeah, it's personal preference. The old one (let's call it Bushlore I) with the thicker bar steel would work okay with the heavier micarta handles. Of course they aren't sold anymore. The Bushlore I was a Condor knife that didn't really please me much and I delegated it to a work knife where it gets all kinds of abuse (cutting dirt and rocks, basically core samples). I was very pleased when they went to a thinner bar steel on that knife.

I like the floatier balance of the micarta version but wouldn't really consider it a plus or minus so much as just different. :)

I have the micarta handled version and i really like the balance further back. Makes it seem easier to control my cuts.

Back