Confession - I hardly use my knife while camping

kgd

So I have a confession to make....On most of our camping trips, my knife use is pretty limited and restricted. Mind you, I do like to carve something once in awhile, like that time I lost my spork on day 2 and got teased from my camp mates the rest of the week about the spoon-ish thingabob I hacked out of striped maple. I also love practicing bow drill, but I'm far more apt to that kind of thing on day hikes and walks more so than while I'm actually tripping.

What about feathersticks? They sure are pretty and fun to make, but I almost never use them to make a functional fire. You know the type you make without thinking about (or trying to make a shmancy fancy video for) to keep you warm, cook food and sit by. More often, its just foraging for nearby birch bark and and a plenitude of twigs afforded by white, red or jack pines. I rarely if ever bring an axe either so the knife is used to baton :)eek:) when I need to split wood. Except, truth be told, its a real rarity that I actually have to do that...even in heavy rain, dry twigs are so easy to find in a protected pine forest. (I know, I'm blessed in the places I go).

My most used knife, when tripping, is a fillet knife (if I'm lucky...blessed is the fact that I usually am). So often, that fancy bushcrafter, ready to take on nature herself, if need be, sits in the barrel stowed in a large ziplock bag along with the tent repair kit and other miscellaneous do dads. I had my wife sew on belt loops to my Patagonia alpine pants so I could wear my belt and knife (why the hell did that company make $170 pants and forget to put belt loops on them??). But half the time I forget and the belt plus knife stays in the barrel. Fortunately, my middle age muffin top keeps the pants around my waste rather than falling to my ankles.

A buck saw and pocket boy, now that is something I really use daily. Pocket boy and plain old hands for the twig stove. Buck saw for the nights fire. When you select the right size and piece there is rarely need to split it. Just get the fire stoked and with smaller to medium twigs until the coals are primed for the bigger wood.

Of course, I have my OH trekker, with its handy screwdriver...Not that a screwdriver is really useful in the woods, but I always feel a bit better when I have a tool design specifically to unscrew things that have been screwed up. Finally, my trusty ESEE-3, Ratpack #118, stays fixed to my life jacket ready to loosen my hypothetically line tangled body in the rapids should I find myself there. But mostly its pulled to trim the knot on my fishing lure.

Still, I'm glad I have the tools with me and I'm not writing this thread to suggest leaving them behind. Its just a reality of life in camp. Where you do what needs doing but rarely think about it. Almost, like a good first aid kit, a smooth trip rarely sees the blades actually come into play.

Anyone else in this same boat? I know, this is a sacrilegous post on BF ;)

I carry an 18" machete, so I can trim back briars and twigs from my tent site, and to make impressive try sticks for bragging rights. :D

Reactions: kgd
Yeah, I must camp wrong too, but I gotta say, the bugout does a really good job on cleaning under my nails. A factor for myself is that I'm often in LNT places and fires are not usually allowed. So apart from making lunch, there isn't much else that is to be done with a sharp knife. But its nice to know its there.

Car camping is about the only time I bring more than two knives with me. I seldom use a knife hiking. The majority of the use is to do a little selective trimming if I am taking pictures in the woods and especially plants. I still carry the fixed blade and a SAK in most cases and often leave the fixed blade at home or in the car.

So I have a confession to make....On most of our camping trips, my knife use is pretty limited and restricted.

Boo!!!
Boo, I say, boo.

I use my knives a whole bunch while camping, but then again, I camp in ways that maximize knife usage. ;)
Nature is cool and all, but it's better with knives. :D

Now on a hike, depending on the environment there may end up being zero knife usage.
But since my back is crap and gets really, REALLY painful with extended walking, combine that with minimal knife usage and I don't often feel the need for dedicated hikes.

I have pretty much reached the point where I start all my fires with a fire steel of other primitive way. I get a high percentage of one strike fires.

Especially this time of year. Colt's Foot and Poplar bark explode to life.

One thing I have modified is my timing. I have no problem making feather sticks and such a day or two in advance. It affords me the opportunity to fill in quiet times with knife action. And I don't have a crowd of people waiting on me to get a fire going.

I also use them for harvesting bark from downed poplar or birch trees.
IMG_7253-XL.jpg

But I agree there is usually a lot offered up from the forest floor, or hanging in the trees just above the ground.

Making tarp pegs, clothes pins, hiking sticks. I always seem to have some small knife project going.
i-mDK5QCZ-XL.jpg

I'm always forking around with my knife,
i-StdjG3b-XL.jpg

One thing I have modified is my timing. I have no problem making feather sticks and such a day or two in advance. It affords me the opportunity to fill in quiet times with knife action. And I don't have a crowd of people waiting on me to get a fire going.

Surely, you don't mean you make a featherstick over at camp 1 and haul it over to camp 2 to make your fire, do you....Yes, and I might have just called you Shirley...

Sure Lee, I do!

Although we were talking about camping n
here not backpacking. I used to backback a lot. I camp more these days. Get to one spot and stay there.

I carry a small waxed canvas pouch from Badger Claw Leatherworks. In it you will find shavings, curls, jute twine, birch bark, and dried inner poplar bark, cotton balls, Q-Tips, and a small bottle of hand sanitizer. It sanitizes and it burns real well.

Once lit, a Q-Tip soaked in Hand Sanitizer blows a match out of the water. Dipped in paraffin wax they work well too. But, they're harder to light.

It all weighs next to nothing. And dry tinder is worth it's weight on a cold rainy morning.

Yes. And I might just have called you Lee.

I use my Bowie to clean toenails, sometimes even my own! I try to use my blades as much as possible but it doesn’t always happen so I know how you feel. It seems my axe and saw get most of the action these days camping but carrying a fixed blade is a must for me either camping or working in the orchard.

This is a great thread by the way keep it going!

Well, we can always take pictures of our knives when outdoors...like stick it in a stump and take that glory shot :) Or maybe you aren't even really outdoors...You just say, go on your porch and put outdoorsy things around it and make your knife pout a little (all sexy like) as you press that shutter button :)

Ahw, but seriously....that Koyote in the pic above, it looks pretty...skinned 90 lbs of tomatoes for canning, and is killa' in its element.

Wow that’s a nice tomato juice patina, never thought of using tomato juice.

I was watching some of the videos of the 10 items chosen by experienced contestants for the upcoming Season 5 of ALONE on the History Channel.

Some of them have decided to take a multi-tool instead of a fixed-blade camping knife for their Mongolian survival challenge. Experienced contestants, as in they have been on previous ALONE shows and were runner ups to winning the $500K prize.

I also use my folders for small cutting tasks. Food prep, making fire shavings, etc.

I was watching some of the videos of the 10 items chosen by experienced contestants for the upcoming Season 5 of ALONE on the History Channel.

Some of them have decided to take a multi-tool instead of a fixed-blade camping knife for their Mongolian survival challenge. Experienced contestants, as in they have been on previous ALONE shows and were runner ups to winning the $500K prize.

Good comment. I've taken my SAK OH Trapper for years as a secondary. This year I'm thinking of replacing it with my Leatherman sidekick. I will slip it in, sans-sheath, in the front zippered pocket of my lifejacket. Why switch it up? Well mostly for the pliers and pulling hooks out of fish. I usually take a dedicated set of fish pliers for fishing, but this will omit the need for those. I've always thought that SAKs are taken for their blades and multi-tools for their pliers and why do you need pliers in the bush? Pulling hooks out of toothy northern pike is a pretty good reason! But pliers are also handy for a lot of things from pulling stuff out fire, twisting wire or cord, pulling on stuff, untangling nasty, bending fine pieces of metal for your gear in shape...

So I see the logic of it. BUT - multi-tools are UGLY. I don't think that can be helped. Functional, but about as sexy as dirt and dead ashes. I'll never fall for the curves of a multi-tool.

I have pretty much reached the point where I start all my fires with a fire steel of other primitive way. I get a high percentage of one strike fires.

Especially this time of year. Colt's Foot and Poplar bark explode to life.

I also use them for harvesting bark from downed poplar or birch trees.
IMG_7253-XL.jpg

But I agree there is usually a lot offered up from the forest floor, or hanging in the trees just above the ground.

Making tarp pegs, clothes pins, hiking sticks. I always seem to have some small knife project going.
i-mDK5QCZ-XL.jpg

I'm always forking around with my knife,
i-StdjG3b-XL.jpg

What is the 1st knife with the green micarta slabs? Haven't seen that one before and it is purdy.

I'm also jealous of your fire steel skills. I used one all winter in the home fireplace to get additional practice and the only time I got to light with one strike was if it was a bic lighter, and I tried many different starter sources to figure out what worked well. I found the tissue paper from x-mas holds sparks pretty well, about like using lint from the dryer. Never one strike though.

I rarely use a knife while camping too. I use a multitool a fair amount for random things but other than food prep I don't use a knife much.

For backpacking I use a knife more, usually because I plan to have knife tasks available along the way. Carving tent pegs and making a fork, maybe cleaning a fish. But I could probably get by pretty easily without doing those things with a knife if I wanted to.

I almost never use a hatchet or axe anymore either.

Back